Archinect
anchor

Archinect Book Club?

b3tadine[sutures]

I was thinking - while reading What Is Art, it's a discussion with Joseph Beuys - that I have a much better appreciation and my level of comprehension increases, when the material I am reading is brought into deliberative discussion. I thought that it might be possible for the collective here to start something of a online book club, not unlike the CD exchange, where we could share each other's wealth of knowledge on particular areas and increase our collective understanding of somewhat difficult issues, topics, theories, etc....

Any thought? Any interest?

Jun 1, 07 9:00 am

i love the idea! and i've been in book clubs in the past and enjoyed them very much. i'd only hedge because it seems to take me 2 months+ to finish a book anymore. the only chance to read is to put myself to sleep and it seems to work in about 10 minutes... so, if this takes off, i will definitely get the subject book and start it, but i can't guarantee follow-through.

Jun 1, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

This does sounds interesting. It'll force me to read more. I've been carrying a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" around for a month or so, because I only read for about 15 minutes a day. Would it be restricted to architecture books? or would we go through some classics or philosophical books. I've been on this kick of reading the classic novels, hence the Salinger. Last summer was Vonnegut, before that Orwell, I think "Old man and the Sea" is next.

I would welcome reading more archie theory though.

Jun 1, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

YES!!! Please, let's do - but agree with Steven, we need to allow sufficient time in our busy schedules to read the entire book. Though like good architects (which you are now too Stourley yay!) we will meet a deadline if one is given.

Excellent suggestion.

Jun 1, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'd be up for anything. Hell I'd even propose that we start we a famous archinector, Stephen Lauf, could be interesting.

Jun 1, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I already own his first book!

Jun 1, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
cornellbox

I'm intrigued by the idea. I expect that there are going to be many different avenues of interest, and getting together a critical mass to have a useful discussion will be difficult.

I've been prompted to go and read things based on what other people have written about them. I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma right now after a friend and fellow architect recommended it. (It's not an architecture book, but it's still a very good read.)

Keep me posted about this. Even if I don't participate actively in the discussions all the time, I'll try to take part. And it's easier to get a group of people together online than it is to get together face to face.

Jun 1, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

is that book about how america's entire diet is comprised of corn based products?

Jun 1, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
n_

I'm in as long as the books are not written by Danielle Steel.

Jun 1, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
swamprat

I am all in.

As Corb used to say, and I quote: "A book is a machine for learning"

· 
WonderK

I love this idea, because I've always wanted to be in a book club but I didn't think a traditional book club format would have anything I wanted to read.....

Sign me up!

· 
o d b

this is a wonderful idea!

i wonder if we should have the reading list somewhat relate to the archinect book list? there are some interesting titles that seem to bridge architecture and other subjects such as cultural theory, urbanism, war, domesticity etc.--all timely topics! my vote from that list would be Blue Monday.

or should we all suggest one book, and make a decision based that way...i imagine making the first choice will be the toughest part!

Jun 1, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'd nominate James Joyce for our first read - you need as much help as possible understanding him...

Jun 1, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
postal

i'm down...shall we start the nominations? who will determine what we read? are we limiting this to fiction?

i'll go check my amazon wish list that seems to keep growing based on all the recommendations from archinect.

Jun 1, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
KEG

love it. I'm in.

you mean we're not going to start with the fountainhead?

j/k

Jun 1, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

a good way to test everyone's commitment: benjamin

Jun 1, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

how about stourley's suggestion that started this thread out - what is art, converations with joseph beuys? i think that seems like a great place to start.

Jun 1, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

I'm in. I can't wait till we discuss the merits of choosing the red box and flipping to page 49 instead of going through the door and turning to page 17!

Jun 1, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

awesome! i'm in!!!

but, can we stay away from architecture?

Jun 1, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
postal

all right, since i'm worried about nobody deciding which book to read, as there is no real authority here, i'm invoking "sandlot" rules...

"your ball, your ups"

meaning...it was stourley's idea, so stourley gets first pick... whether it's "what is art" or anything else...

can we be in agreeance?

Jun 1, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

yep. and i'm ok with architecture. it's what we know, right? but not arch-y is ok too.

Jun 1, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

why not read about architecture?

this is archinect after all, if we wanted to read something else, we could all join oprah's book club, or a book club w/ experts on james joyce...we're all architects, so why not read about what we're interested in and get feedback from other "experts" in the field.

there are plenty of other websites and clubs to get our fix on things outside of architecture.

Jun 1, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

stourley....call dibs on picking the first title.

I like the "what is art" idea...but i am down for anything.

Just hoping it's a paperback cause I have to move across the country soon and the 17 boxes of books I have are too damn heavy as it is.

Jun 1, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, odb, that's just it. we talk about architecture all the time here and @ work, etc.

i think i'd just get bored reading about arch theory, but hey, i'll give it a go!

Jun 1, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
postal

i don't think we can necessarily read anything outside of "architecture"... as we are the context within which it is read, and we are hellbent on architecture and design, right? so through discussion, i'm sure we can even relate concepts in (oh the horror) danielle steele to our field... no?

i say it's at the choosers discretion.

...but i love reading and talking about architecture

Jun 1, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Count me in as well. I think it would be fun to alternate architecture and non-architecture books.

We're not going to have to write a book report though, are we?

Jun 1, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha ha, yes 2 pages per chapter, MLA format, please!

Jun 1, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

if it's not directly related to architecture, it could at least have something to offer to architects--not sure what that means exactly, but one example would be something that provides a new understanding of space or urbanity or something like that, such as henri lefevre

Jun 1, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, that's what i was thinking odb, something that is peripherally related to architecture (which could be anything), without necessarily being about arch theory, etc.

Jun 1, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

but it's stourley's call!

Jun 1, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

here ya go!

Jun 1, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
postal

haha yes!

Jun 1, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

She made a sequel to Bungalow?! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 1, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

"why not read about architecture?

this is archinect after all, if we wanted to read something else, we could all join oprah's book club, or a book club w/ experts on james joyce...we're all architects, so why not read about what we're interested in and get feedback from other "experts" in the field.

there are plenty of other websites and clubs to get our fix on things outside of architecture."

couldn't agree more. yeah it's what we do all the time but if you really are sick of architecture after the day's over then i suggest joining another book club....
i think theory/criticism is really better read in groups anyway, it helps keep in check whether or not the writer is completely full of shit or actually has some merits. This is a topic i'd actually want to hear other opinions on since it's based in reality not fiction.. yah?

Jun 1, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I like Steven's first choice, but let's start with Beuys it's a short read, and we can all get our feet wet and not get too sucked into something we can't be committed to - given other obligations.

Sound like a plan?

This is cool, I feel like I am finally contributing something worthwhile, and that you are interested in as well.

Jun 1, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

sold. just ordered the paperback.

when is it due?

;)

Jun 1, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Seriously, what's our schedule on this? How long do we get? Who picks in what order? I'm on board, but can you tell I'm details-oriented? :o)

I still LOVE this idea. My next two months are going to be crazy but I can make it work!!!

Jun 1, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

this is great.

love the idea...i just ordered the book, actually.

maybe this will help get me out of the food/agriculture/politics/conspiracy bent i've been on for a while.

though i did just get the aforementioned Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. i referenced it in another thread called Green Thread Central. you may have heard of it.

if this is going to be an actual book club, shouldn't the chooser of the book set both some timelines, and possibly some questions or comments to get the ball rolling?

speaking for myself, this is a book that i won't be finished reading until probably two weeks from now, assuming it arrives somewhat expediently.

anyone else have any timeline suggestions?

Jun 1, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

great minds think alike, clearly.

Jun 1, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

looks like a good read.

how is this book divided?

should we set goals for finishing a chapter/section and then discuss as we read along?

or would it be best to discuss after having finished the whole book?

Jun 1, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

HEY! i'll chime in to say i like this idea, too - do any of us here have experience with book club discussions (i don't)...

is there usually some kind of moderation?

anyway - i just got the book and am looking forward to reading it with y'all...

t

Jun 1, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

How about we try this; the book is broken into two sections, the first section is about 75 or so pages - much of it is an interview, a genre I absolutely enjoy, the second section is about 30 pages. Let's start out reading and we could discuss as we go, and then after each section perhaps it culminates into a much fuller discussion? Then we could end with developing further thoughts and possible tangents could spin off from that?

I am up for anything...

Jun 1, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

SK one more thing - as the founder of this hallowed club, you need to decide on the system for choosing the next 'decider.'

Jun 1, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Perhaps we proceed in order of the people posting? So, Steven would be next, then Aquino, Liberty, etc...? Seem fair?

Jun 1, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

heh heh. get ready for danielewski, everybody...

Jun 1, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I should have stipulated that all books must be available for EASY purchase, no special orders that require going to abebooks or some other rare book dealer. Deal?

Jun 1, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

this is such a dangerous thing...between my Archinect addiction and my Amazon addiction i might end up getting fired!

why didn't this get started while i was in school and had plenty of time to WASTE!!!

ahahaha...

Jun 1, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
aml
www.amazon.com:

Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

Jun 1, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
aml

wonder if this is true or they say it when they have, like, 5 or 10 in stock. does this sudden supply problem have anything to do with the new archinect book club?

i love the book club idea, but i'm not sure i'll be able to swing it. orders from amazon take about a month to reach me... but congrats stourley [only realized a few days ago you're old time poster betadinesutures] for a great idea!

Jun 1, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I'm in too. I love reading books like Beuys, but my speed reading leaves little room for comprehension, so a discussion would be awesome.

Jun 1, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

Just placed my order! I'm really looking forward to this.

toroid - i know exactly what you're talking about. we should really start some kind of support group.

Jun 1, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: