Archinect
anchor

How does he do it?

postal

anyone have any idea how this roth guy can turn a corner with a standing seam like this?

you think people in the states can do this?

May 31, 07 3:06 pm
postal

hmmm...ooops..one sec

May 31, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

I'm lost what are you on about?

Sounds like you are talking fashion not architecture

May 31, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
postal

not the image i wanted...but i assure you, those seams stand out and turn 90 degrees...

anyways, i can't find any literature about how this is done...

May 31, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
postal

make sense now?

May 31, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

looks like the panel flats are cut and hemmed at the corner to provide clean and rigid edge.

i suspect that they're using a snap-on cap of some sort, they just let it run past the corner and (maybe) pop-rivet the connection?

[img]http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/images/panel3.jpg[img]

May 31, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
May 31, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

hmm...if it really is a snap-on cap or batten then they could just miter the legs around the corner and just continue down the next wall face so the joints were some good distance from the corner.

May 31, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

are they soldered at the bend?

May 31, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

lasers?

May 31, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
montu

el jeffe has it..

..definitely a snapon clip that is mitered…..or perhaps it is those so called.. “lasers”

May 31, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
binary

could be a bend over corner and soldered top/bottoms....... not really a good idea to solder a corner fyi.......

May 31, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hey carston, ol buddy ol pal...
he was on a roll for a while and kinda sputtered out...

look, it's arets meets holl!

May 31, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I believe Centria makes corners like that. That photo doesn't really look like Centria though, more like a batten system.

Jun 4, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

looks like zinc. you can do a very nice standing seam detail that turns corners with a simple mitered folded detail. i'm sure if you look at vm zinc you'll find the detail. i'm not sure i'd do it horizontally like that...but if you check with a rep it might be possible. you can do a lot with zinc.

Jun 5, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
postal

yeah, thanks all for your comments...i've looked into and am going to go over our detail with our rep... vm zinc is actually where i saw carsten's work... and we're definately thinking a premanufactured cap that would turn the corner...

and it seems nobody has this as a standard detail as that is why i had posed the question here... plus vm zinc's website BLOWS...

the added difficulty is we're actually going to try and run the seams vertically... (but now word is we may go to a panel)

either way, i'm of course bringing in reps... for zinc, panels, and lasers

Jun 5, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
ochona

any problem can be solved, so long as it's only a technical problem

[shrug]

now getting the craftsmen to do it...there's your challenge here in the land of eifs

Jun 5, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

reps are the only way to get really good feedback on unique details you're working on. i doubt if you'll be using lasers on it, but definitely the zinc rep will have comments related to execution, tolerances and the logic of the tradesman that will be installing it.

Jun 5, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: