Archinect
anchor

ZweigWhite's Fee & Billing Survey of Architecture, Engineering, Planning & Environmental Consulting Firms.

dsc_arch

Has any one ordered the following" ZweigWhite's Fee & Billing Survey of Architecture, Engineering, Planning & Environmental Consulting Firms.

We are a small firm office of five and looking to expand our fee schedule for 2008. Our project mix is small to medium sized projects – $50k to $15M in construction value.

Does anyone think that it would be useful for us?

May 30, 07 8:43 am
J3

No, but we had a 3 day "Project Management" Webinar given by them, and I wasn't impressed...just some regurgitated (spelling?) material that was not very good.

May 30, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

here's how I look at such research products --- for $395, how much do you have to learn to make it worthwhile?

these research books are not a magic wand --- they're not going to make you a genius or make you rich overnight. what they can do is give you a good, factual sense of what others in the profession are doing --- a baseline for comparison with your own decisions or activities. helps reduce the guesswork.

sure, $395 is a lot of money for a book. but, for a $10M project, that's way less than 1/10 of 1% of your gross fee ... given the fact that you've asked the question, I'm guessing your margin for error in quoting fees is a touch more than 1/10 of 1%.

PSMJ Resources prints a similar survey at a similar price ... PSMJ A/E Fees & Pricing Survey ... I tend to find PSMJ's surveys a bit more reliable, but they're both very similar.

buy one, or both, of these books, look at the contents carefully, use that information to inform your next 10 fee quotes ... then come back here to let us know how it worked out. I'm pretty sure you'll feel like you got your money's worth and that you're leaving a lot less money on the table at fee negotiation time.

of course - you also may discover that "market fees" are markedly higher than what you're quoting now and your particular set of clients simply won't go that high. but, maybe that's good to know too.

and no -- I don't work for either Zweig White or PSMJ.

May 30, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: