anchor

"We call it dynamic architecture"

khmay

well that's one way of describing it,

tower

i like transformer architecture, if only this thing turned into a rocketship

May 28, 07 7:47 pm
upside

"It makes me ill," says Eugene Kohn, principal at New York-based Kohn Pedersen Fox, a firm recognized for handsome, modernist -- albeit stationary -- designs. "Some of these buildings are going to the absurd."

i never tought i'd hear a firms work described as 'stationary'.

'yessiree, our buildings stay exactly where you left them'.

May 28, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
hyperbody

I'd like to be optimistic, but this building will not be built any time soon. First off, the analogy that was used to describe the electrical system is way more complicated than that. I've seen structures that rotate but if you notice, only one or maybe two floor would rotate. This thing rotates at every floor 360 degrees! Now, in the video it says that it will be wind powered. Again, they try to make it sound simple, but it isn't. The electricity would be generated by wind, but it would have to be transmitted through a series of transformers, switchboards, panels, and generators to each floor. Wow, just thinking of how they would run conduit up and down the building just makes me shake my head. Too expensive, too much energy. Someone, please englighten me on how this thing could possibly work.

May 29, 07 3:14 am  · 
 · 

LOL: "Some see outlandish designs like these as a sign of an architectural apocalypse."

May 29, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

The Sole porpus of the rotating motion is what ?
To ensure no one ,one one ever will find his place, flat whatever, as now the only way to find your flat, is to know a code, othervise -- if you know it's color or remembered to place a mark in the window, then you find home, as the very substance of the highrise you live in, change place nothing is whare it was an hour ago and scare ; it's windpovered , How to find your flat in a mashine like that, when everything continous change place ?

May 29, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

if i remember correctly there was a high-end residential condo tower in brazil that was built recently where each floor rotated......so it is possible.

May 29, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

here's the link to some images and text about the brazilian tower

link

May 29, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
simples

the building futureboy mentioned is in Curitiba, Brazil...the exterior perimeter remains a constant here, and the scale is also signifcantly smaller...11 floors levels (with 11 tenans, vindpust...)

May 29, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
simples

OOPS...a bit too late...sorry...

May 29, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i think after it gets done rotating, it should take the shape of a giant penis, and then vibrate until the whole thing explodes.

May 29, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I know this is boring , but I dearly find it more idel to focus on the strength put in put the money there, where it gurantie a super strong, ever lasting replacable building parts, not some silli gadged. Just let architecture move, but do in not littery, do it in motion, over time changing while being prolonged , by a core idea about the structural idle building new forms idle displaying brand new shapes being build from one end Boring and old, that's my examples , they are quite some years old ,but even how naive the form of the box formed shape differ over length ; then this structure can start in one end being one thing one shape -- here box , and over time by being build lengthwise, the forms and shapes can alter ,much more than what I point out in this graphics where I stay in the box limits ; emagine it rounded, it still could contain square spaces -- I know this is not a tower, but the changing forms over the years is here a greater pover, than rotating zimrings, this will pass the structure's maintainment into maneagable hands , --- see this structure are maintainable ,a restoration can even bring brand new details, and true ,it is a bad argument towerds something that seem to have be a highrise a Tower, still over time, it will become less boring ;

Kill The Tower !

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8854/9ac2hw9.jpg

May 29, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And this one can also "move , case you take it apart and reinstall it in another place , --- sorry the simple design find the foult , now how difficult can that be ?

Find the foult !

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4829/53e2fo1.jpg

May 29, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

oh brother!

May 29, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Jesus Christ, talk about a one-trick pony.

May 29, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

forget rotating!

i'll get excited when they build this!

May 29, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

Just watched the animation and i have one question--whats with the Strauss soundtrack? maybe an inside joke im not aware of? it makes me feel like im at a ice rink circa 1940.

on the other hand, the building looks pretty sharp.

May 29, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

The Strauss song is probably a 2001 reference.

May 29, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

it would be impossible for this to be engineered to where a person could get a peaceful sleep. those giant turbins would reasonate through the entire building, absurd.

May 29, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: