Archinect
anchor

what is "commissioning"?

jbirl

its the title of section 01810 in the specs....

May 24, 07 3:54 pm
vado retro

Commissioning is a team effort to document the continuity of the project as it moves from one project phase to the next. In the Planning and Development phase of a project, planning and programming documents begin to define an owner's requirements for building performance. When the entire project delivery process is documented in a consistent manner, an historical perspective is created that explains the iterative process of determining the agreed-to project requirements at each step of the development process. Commissioning documentation becomes the road map for the success criteria to be met by facilities that are put in service.

At post-occupancy, commissioning documentation becomes the benchmark to ensure that the building can be maintained, retuned, or renovated to meet future needs. It documents the Owner's Project Requirements (OPR) in the beginning of the project and records compliance, acceptance, and operations throughout the facility's life.

May 24, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Commissioning

is the process of verifying that the systems in a building are designed appropriately, are built as designed, and are functioning at peak efficiency, by an independent third party.

betterbricks has a thorough description.

Commissioning is becoming increasingly common, primarily since it is a prerequisite for LEED certification- EA preq 1-Fundamental Commissioning of the Building Energy Systems and EA 3- Enhanced Commissioning are where it pops up most often.

This isn't a cheap professional service, and is often one of the expenses that a client refuses, scuttling the LEED certification process.

other links:

building commissioning association's white paper

EDR

So talk to your MEP about who they've worked with as commissioning agents.

May 24, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

Most commissioning I've seen around this area has to do with testing and balancing all the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, and if there are solar cells, those as well. Making sure they are working properly and to manufacturer's and design specifications.

Sometimes curtainwalls are sprayed with a certain pressure water stream to make sure they don't leak. Depends on what the client requests.

I've never seen it used to document project phases and continuity.

Usually a company like Bovis will manage the commissioning process.

May 25, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
jbirl

Thank you very much.

Learn something new everyday...

May 25, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 

It's something that clients really, really don't like paying for.

May 25, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i think rationalist hit the bulls-eye.

discussions end up with something like this:

"why do i have to pay extra to make sure the systems i've already paid you to design are working according to your design, which i should assume to be proper in the first place?"

May 25, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

That's the *exact* reaction we always get. We try to describe it as being equivilant to having a maintanance plan included with your new car- oil and lube, tuneups, etc. are what keep things running right, and it's better than the standard warranty.

They still don't go for it. We've only been able to sell one client on getting their build LEED certified, and the basic commissioning pre-requisite is one of the biggest reasons for that.

May 25, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

consider it as a peer review during design and a verification during construction. the testing and balancing report (or TAB) will give the commissioning agent an idea for any corrective adjustments.

for institutional/ government clients, in my experience, they are willing to pay for this service (and subsequent LEED certification) because they see the value in the process. ultimately, commissioning leads to greater energy efficiency . . . and that does payoff in the long run.

May 25, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if the developer is the end user then the value of commissioning is apparent because inefficiencies are paid out of the same pocket.

on a speculative project? good luck aside form altruism...

May 25, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

no, its a big private residential project.

in my experience (residential) i have never come across it.....

May 25, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
jsml

commissioning jbirl.. is when the client orders a set of slats mahog

Jul 30, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: