Archinect
anchor

stirling, edinburgh, freiburg, odense, copenhagen, stockholm

qdpv

Hey guys,
I'm doing a bit of traveling this summer in Northern Europe and need some help putting together a bit of an architecture itinerary. I'm going to be hitting up stirling, edinburgh, freiburg, odense, copenhagen, and stockholm and am wondering if there are any particular places an architecture student/enthusiast should definately see. Thanks.
Phi

May 24, 07 2:43 pm
emaze

If you are going that route, make sure to stop in Malmo (et al), see some Sigurd Lewerentz...

May 24, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
d-arch

In Edinburgh, see the National Museum of Scotland. Then get the train to Glasgow; it's only 60 miles away and far more interesting.

May 24, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
NeilWalkinshaw

lol at tR16, you must be joking, cant believe you think that there is only one thing to see in edinburgh.
Any way, phivphan, if you do a search on Edinburgh there was a good disscussion of lots of things to see and do in the city. (think the heading was "edinburgh or glasgow?")

May 24, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

In Copenhagen, don't miss Christiania.

There are a lot of PLOT buildings around, too.

May 24, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

there's a ton to see in the malmo/copenhagen area:

copenhagen:
copenhagen cphx

archinform

e-architect:copenhagen

e-architect:malmo

May 24, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go to Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen

May 24, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
jgeis

your stockholm basics:

woodland cemetery by asplund and lewerentz

stockholm central library by asplund

st. mark's church in bjorkhagen by lewerentz

social security administration building by lewerentz

the moderneet museum by moneo is nice too.

May 25, 07 8:24 am  · 
 · 
jgeis

sorry, moderna museet...

May 25, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 
qdpv

Thanks a lot for the suggestions thus far guys...

Unfortunately the cities I'm visiting are pretty set, since I'd doing a summer abroad/traveling type thing. However, there are definately going to be some free days inbetween lecture/field work to travel around the cities listed.

emaze, right now malmo isn't on the itinerary but may be on it soon. What would you suggest seeing there? All I know of is that new Calatrava tower, though from what I've seen it doesn't look too interesting...

May 25, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ok, pulled out my research for freiburg, travelled through a few years ago...
it's mostly a college town, lots of international students and some great bars.
there is an outstanding farmer's market at the munsterplatz.
schlappen is one of the better places to grab a drink.
augustinerplatz is a geat place to hang out in the sun
one of the best places to grab a beer w/ a view is the biergarten on schlossberg
one of the more interesting neighborhoods is just west of the bahnhof, on escholzstrasse.

architecture:
the hauptbahnhof is pretty interesting (harter + kanzler architekten)

velo cafe adjacent to the hauptbahnhof (rolf + hotz architekten)

a few blocks east is the konzerthaus (axel schultes) it's a great project, and a great place to see a show.

there's a cool parking garage in vauban, and i'd recommend just wandering around vauban, lots of interesting projects (a lot of progressive student housing)

some interesting rowhouses on Hirschenhofweg 8 - 12 (von.vorst.architektur)

Roland Phelps exhibition hall (sacker architekten) Pochgasse 73

university guesthouse (hubert horbach) Goethestraße 33 - 35

regional commission (harter + kanzler) Bissierstraße 7

Institut für Umweltmedizin und Krankenhaushygiene (pfeifer_kuhn architekten)

research building @ uni freiburg (harter + kanzler) Georges-Köhler-Allee

there are some interesting projects in the surrounding area as well:
Atelier Ralph Fleck (rolf + hotz) in kirchenzarten, 5 minutes by train.

and a phenomenal concrete church (kister scheithauer gross
architekten) Maria-von-Rudloff-Platz 1, in Rieselfeld

May 26, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

also, if you're in freiburg for a few days, it's only 70 minutes or so to basel and weil am rhein, which is where all the vitra projects are (ando, hadid, gehry, siza) and you could see quite a bit of the more interesting projects in basel on a day trip.

May 26, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Peru

not sure if you allready know this; open this file with google earth http://www.archinform.net/earth1.kml and it will be the best archi-tour-planner-tool! Ever!!

May 26, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

I looked it up this weekend, the flower kiosk at the eastern cemetary

May 29, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In Stirling, I followed archinecter solidred's advice:

up near Stirling Castle is an arts centre called the Tolbooth which has a nice cafe etc. but the interior remodelling has been done very well by... Richard Murphy maybe. Also up by the castle are some of Scotland's finest Renaissance buildings. Around the historical time I'm thinking of, the Scots were pretty pally with the French / Dutch (sorry: my history's very sketchy...) and so the Renaissance in Europe spread as far afield as Scotland: lots of foreign stonemasons were employed at Stirling Castle itself, for example.
There's also a fine old movie set in and about Stirling Castle called 'Tunes of Glory' with John Mills and Alec Guiness: a great Sunday afternoon movie. It's possibly available on second-hand video... somewhere.

I popped into the Tolbooth and saw how the intervention had been done, quite interesting. Stirling Castle is actually a great castle to roam around in too - the walk around the walls gives lovely views across the countryside and the cafe is very good for a tourist cafe - situated down under these stone vaults but still airy and light-filled. Given my preference, I would have started at the castle and then spent the entire day wandering down into the city below.

In Edinburgh, you just cannot miss the Parliament building. it may sound sacrilegious, but if you've seen Stirling Castle I think you can skip Edinburgh Castle and go straight to Parliament - it is the most important thing for a young architect to see.

May 29, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

advice in all places: look at the old stuff as well as the new.

one of my favorite places in stockholm is the church right next to moderna museet. the riksdag which is on the island between norrmalm and gamla stan has a pretty interesting addition too. also the city hall by östberg is great.

but: definitely check out the plaza at sergels torg (T-bana: hötorget) which you can see the best from the rooftop restaurant at the åhlens department store. this is either a masterpiece of modern determinism or a dirty, soulless abscess in the middle of the city. the kulturhuset is godawful but it's the example nonpareil of positivistic design...no matter how you think about it, you won't know in full until you've eaten the gravad lax plate at åhlens. i think the free salad that we got is always there, just by the balcony door.

best part about this is you can see sergels torg just by walking a little bit south of the central library.

Jun 8, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: