Archinect
anchor

philosopher/theorist writing on "freedom, liberty, human rights"

aspect

need to writing something brief on this subject, however, this is also something i'm not familiar with.

my list:

plato
rousseau
nietzsche
lebniz

any other important figure/subject matter i should cover?? thanks.

May 23, 07 12:28 pm
xtbl

thom paine

May 23, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Are you European? b/c you forgot Jefferson.

May 23, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i thought jefferson mainly borrow concept from the french philsopher voltaire... i could be wrong.

May 23, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I don't really get what you need to do and how you are not familiar with it, but...

Chomsky...one of the most interesting contemporary theorists...

architectural theorist?

I love Chermayeffs Writings...
Design and the Public Good
Selected Writings 1930-1980, by Serge Chermayeff
Edited by Serge Chermayeff and Richard A. Plunz
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=5033

Anthony Vidler's a staple....

Didn't you take a theory class? Off the top of my head...

Venturi
Wagner
Rossi
Libeskind
Tschumi
Palladio
Redtenbacher
Wigley
Corbu
Otto
Lichtwark
Eisenman
Meis
Loos
Kipnis
Koolhaas

This could go on forever...I mean, all architectural theorists talk/think/write about "freedom, liberty, human rights" in their own way...

....all architects should....

where are you going with this...i mean plato to nietzsche...there is quite a span there...

May 23, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands
i thought jefferson mainly borrow concept from the french philsopher voltaire... i could be wrong.

that can't be right.. thomas jefferson certainly never ripped off others' ideas

May 23, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

John Locke's writings predate Jefferson's and had a great influence on his work in framing the United States' founding documents.

May 23, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

thanks all, actually i'm making comments on an issue in my city regarding high school kids being taught human rights/liberty/freedom... i think this is a heavy subject and involve alot of reading on philosophy and theorist... and this may "formate" their way of thinking at such young age especially it is taught by some very right wing religious group.

i remember when i studies in the states, we do not have a class designate soley for human rights/liberty/freedom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gCOLWyjKo

imagine what kind of architecture they will produce when poisoned by those right wing group.

May 23, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

I thought John Locke was a character on LOST?

May 23, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I went to college with a gal named Justice Anne Liberty.

God Bless the Dirty South.

May 23, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP
john jay

May 23, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha ha ha, n_, that's pretty funny!!!

May 23, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

don't forget stevie gaines!

May 23, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

if you're going to included plato you must also look to aristotle, but i would say that the modern idea of freedom and liberty are much different then what plato or aristotle or even cicero would understand...liberty is wholly enlightenment concept, if i'm not mistaken i would start there. here are a few ideas...

john stuart mill - on liberty

rousseau - social contract

hegel - elements of the philosophy of right

kant - critiques...

david hume - treatise of human nature

locke - concerning human understanding

hobbes - leviathan

marx - capital

rawls - theory of justice

russell - authority and the individual

May 23, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

thank-you all, i would look into the material of u guys mentioned.

here are just my thoughts for a light chat:

Chomsky, bernard russell has this structuralist/linguistic approach to explain matters which impose certain constraint... Also aristotle seem to have depart from plato and rely on sensory judgement. while plato and lebniz has this believe in the unknown or desire to discover beyond our known principles of things which i think is true freedom.

May 23, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

what about Krishnamurti?

Freedom From the Known should be required reading for all.

May 23, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Giorgio Agamben.

But hang on a moment. If you're writing something brief, you don't want to try to cram in as many names as possible. Pick two or three and discuss them in some depth. It sounds like you already have plenty of names. Between them, the people listed so far would fill a small library on their own!

May 23, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

is ok, more the merrier... i have something in my mind i want to write about, however, i need run a quick cross checking with other founding fathers to make sure i didn't write something "very wrong" and to be challenged. alos, i want to provided a recommended reading list by fellow architects at the end!!

May 23, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

not exactly answering the question, but maybe still helpful: my all-time favorite book about the relationship between american-ness and the built/designed environment is the beer can by the highway.

May 23, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

also, there's a great piece in one of the perspectas from the 80s by tom peters called something like 'an american tradition of construction' that describes how freedom/liberty and americans' particularly empirical (vs conceptual) way of looking at things impacts design thinking.

May 23, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Just to fill in some gaps, Montesquieu on separation of powers, and Thoreau on civil disobedience.

Foucaults pretty important too, but it doesnt sound like youre going that deep into it.

May 23, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
dithyramben

the obvious choice, though not necessarily wrong, but certainly 'of the moment', is Agamben, as noted above. probably the most relevant reference for these subjects among living writers.

May 23, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

well we could keep going...

descrates - meditations

spinoza - ethics

deleuze and guattari - 1000 plateaus / anti-oedipus

jean baudrillard - forget foucault* only because he turns foucault inside-out...

zizek - against human rights

May 23, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Auguste Blanqui

May 23, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

montaigne - essays

May 23, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
jkaliski

For high school kids I might look at the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and Bill of Rights. I keep coming back to these and realize how radical they are.

May 24, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
May 24, 07 5:20 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I vote for either Martin Luther King , Malcom "X", or Bobby Seal

May 24, 07 7:48 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

Antisthenes
Diogenes of Sinope
Max Stirner
Wilhelm Reich
Ema Goldman
Bakunin
Kropotkin
Proudhon

May 24, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
ZiZeK
May 24, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

This might go quicker if we list the philosophers who aren't concerned with freedom, liberty, and human rights.

May 24, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

Archasm

May 24, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Mirin

nelson mandela

May 31, 07 7:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: