Archinect
anchor

RE: IDP credits

zrose717

when does employment start to count towards IDP credits?

i have my masters a year ago and am now going through all of my previous hours [started working summers since '97] but have no clue when i can start counting them...

i called my state board and they told me to call NCARB...called NCARB and these shitters have had me on hold for 45 minutes [long distance, too]. its a simple answer, but no one seems to know it!

May 21, 07 5:34 pm
zrose717

nevermind.

googled it and got:

"Generally, work experience may be counted from the successful completion of your third year in a four-year pre-professional degree program with direct entry into an accredited master of architecture program; after you successfully complete the third year of a five-year BArch program; or after you successfully complete your first year in an MArch program (for those who hold an undergraduate degree in a discipline other than architecture).

Part-time work may count if it is at least 20 hours/week for six (6) consecutive months.
Full-time work may count if it is at least 35 hours/week for eight (8) consecutive weeks."

May 21, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Something else to be aware of is that some state boards have requirements that differ from NCARB's. For example New York will not count any experience that was completed while you were enrolled as a student half-time or more. And California's rules are a little more lenient in some categories than NCARB's.

If you're in a state with weird rules you'll usually want to make sure that you have enough units to satisfy both your state and NCARB - because for purposes of reciprocity with many other states you need to have completed "standard" IDP through NCARB even if your state allows something different.

May 21, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
zrose717

thank you...i checked with florida and they told me that they follow ncarb's hours system

May 22, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
mvsuriano

check your state info also, there may be a limitation on how much experience you can log retroactively from another job...

May 22, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
morfo

also some states require interviews and others don't... so double check

May 23, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
binary

idp sucks..... reason why i'm not licensed

May 23, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: