Archinect
anchor

ARCHITECTURE IN ISRAEL

MrSim

Going to Israel for about a week this month. Taking ideas of good lodging, great eats - dishes and restaurants, and of course amazing architecture.

Thanks

May 9, 11 11:31 pm
Rusty!

May 9, 11 11:50 pm  · 
 · 

May 10, 11 12:03 am  · 
 · 

May 10, 11 12:04 am  · 
 · 
da_la

I assume this is your first time visiting Israel. If you still have time after exploring Jerusalem , jaffa & tlv (bauhaus), here are some suggestions..not all of them worth a visit though. depends on time and interest.

Without the 'original' comments on occupation and middle east conflict, here is a partial list-

Neve Tzedek (neighborhood located in southwestern Tel Aviv)

Rothschild blvd

Tel Aviv Port (boardwalk) - Mayslits Kassif Architects

Peres center for peace (TLV/Jaffa) - Fuksas

Yad Vashem (Jerusalem) - Safdie

Palmach Museum (Ramat Aviv) - Zvi Hecker

synagogue at Tel aviv university - Mario Botta

Design Museum (Holon) - Ron Arad

Bahá'í Gardens  (Haifa)

enjoy.

May 10, 11 12:15 am  · 
 · 

That's exactly the response I was going for was a shallow and reactionary reading of the issue. Israel (and Palestine) can teach us valuable and relevant technical and social aspects of architecture.

For the first image, security and blast resistance are big issues in Israel and internationally. If the building had been anything other than concrete or CMU, it probably wouldn't be standing at all. The problem that concrete and CMU have is containing the projectile debris from the explosion.

The second image shows a housing project by the UN with the help of Israel. Most people in the world don't get roof-accessible, multi-unit CMU construction as a form of refugee housing. And to top it off, that housing project is complete with on-site water storage, air conditioning, electricity and sewerage. Noted by the satellite dishes and antennae, most of these houses also have TVs.

What has the UN done in Haiti? Built a few hundred-- could be a thousand or more-- homes and has seriously failed to complete its ambitious goal of building tens of thousands of "transitional shelters" that are only meant to last a few years anyways.

May 10, 11 1:33 am  · 
 · 
wheresmyjacket

The recommendations above are all pretty great. In particular, the north port in Tel Aviv (the Namal) is gorgeous, and will be the perfect place to hang out on a late-May afternoon. (I'm jealous.)

The Negev Palmach Brigade Memorial in Be'er Sheva (Dani Karavan) is a must-see. I haven't been back recently, but I'm curious to know how the new addition to the Israel Museum in Jerusalem is doing (renovation by James Carpenter, I think, sculpture garden by Noguchi!), and I'd check out the Preston Scott Cohen-designed new wing of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art. In general, there's some great brutalist architecture on university campuses, which I would keep an eye out for if you're in the area.

Simtat Almonit in Tel Aviv is a fun little alley, just off of King George St. Shenkin is the classic cool kids neighborhood, but things change quickly, and now Florentin and Gan Hahashmal might be the places to check out. Nachlaot in Jerusalem is a great neighborhood to wander around--stop by after a visit to Machane Yehuda market. In Jerusalem, I like Cafe Mizrachi (in the market, fun during the day, but really excellent for Sunday night tapas and live music), Tmol Shilshom for breakfast or late-night desserts, Abu Shukri for humus, and Jaffar's Sweets for Knafe (this last one is a must-do. Knafe is delicious, and Jaffar's is such a great-looking hole in the wall). Also in/around Nachlaot, Noctorno, Slow Moshe's, and Cafe Y (Y Cafe?) are good little dives where you'll run into hippie art students and entertaining expat Americans.

If you're interested in the Palestinian Territories, Riwaq and the Old City of Jerusalem Restoration Program are organizations that do great work, and should be good resources for planning some visits.

May 10, 11 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
wheresmyjacket

Oh, and also. Across the street from Fuksas' Peres Center for Peace is the best little restaurant. Think mezze, grilled things, and mint lemonade on a large porch on a sunny day. Perfect.

May 10, 11 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: