Archinect
anchor

Albuquerque and Oklahoma City

Say No to Student Loans

From L.A., I’m going to be road-tripping back to the Midwest this coming week, passing through AZ, NM, OK, MO and IL. We’ll be deliberately staying in both Albuquerque and Oklahoma City for few days.

Does anyone know any motivating pieces of architecture, neighborhoods, urban design/landscapes in these two cities?

May 15, 07 1:43 pm
chupacabra

just look 360 degrees from pretty much anywhere in New Mexico and you will witness an amazing landscape.

If you are coming through I-40, about an hour west of Albuquerque is El Malpais, an ancient lava flow that extends between the Acoma and Zuni pueblos...it is worth a visit.

In Albuquerque there are some interesting Bart Prince works, Predock work and more, a single day is more than enough though.

Other places like Taos pueblo and Chaco Canyon are in Northern New Mexico about 4 hours from each other. If you do go up to Taos I also recommend going by the Rio Grande gorge and the west mesa of Taos where there are large off the grid earthship colonies...interesting to say the least.

May 15, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Thank you, We're in NM for a day- it is great to drive through.

May 15, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

go to el patio and get some green chili chicken enchiladas.

May 15, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Sadies is better.

May 15, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sadies was better when they were in the bowling alley. where i bowled my highest game ever, by the by and was quite drunk.

May 15, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

this is in Albq?

May 15, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Sadies and El Patio are in Abq...I personally prefer Sadies, they take plastic, El Patio doesn't...and El patio doesn't have tequila margaritas.

May 15, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Coming from the Grand Canyon, we're staying a night in Abq. The El Malpais Nat Monument sounds interesting- I rember that Grants area being beautiful- dark volcanic rock everywhere. Is the Petroglyph Park worthwhile? Sounds like me and the gal are going to get crunked up in the Abq with those tequila margaratias! I'd like to see the arch building at UNM the following day on our way out..

May 15, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make your reservations now...
[img]http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66NMex/images/NMAlbuqElVado.jpg[/url]

May 15, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

duh....

May 15, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

The Kimo Theater in Abq:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiMo_Theater

May 15, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

The new Arch building is an easy one to take in before heading out. It is also very close to the Bart Prince buildings...there is also a new hospital that is pretty nice and the Law school is impressive as well...they are all within a mile or so of each other.

Petroglyph Park is pretty amazing, although the city has really encroached on the site, it is still worth a visit.

http://www.sadiessalsa.com/?mod=our_menu

May 15, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

if you're gonna hit the arch building, might as well plan on a meal across the street at the frontier.

BTW, that pic was taken from the sidewalk in front of the new arch bldg.

frontier burrito, green chili stew, western-style hash browns - take your pick, they're all good.

i'd check out the national hispanic cultural center too.

another dining option very close to the NHCC is the barelas coffee house. some think barelas has the best new mexican food in the city.

evening drinks at the rooftop patio of seasons grill in old town can have a nice view of the sandia mountains.

May 15, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

a friend and i once bought a black velvet elvis painting at the stuckey's in the middle of el malpais near grants and hung it up on the wall in studio. wish i still had it....

May 15, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah i love the frontier but never liked their coffee. the owners were my landlords for awhile.

May 15, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

In Oklahoma City you should check out the bombing memorial in downtown. By the botanical gardens is very wacky building done who I forgot was done by. It is a theater composed of flying boxes, its amazing that it was built in Oklahoma. There is also a Bruce Goff church that is nice. But besides that, not much architecture in OKC. Gehry did a parking garage there, you would never have known.

May 16, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™
sNob Hill

has some cool shops n'stuff...looks a little different nowadays.

One thing that fascinates me about Albuquerque are the dormant Volcanoes. Depending on your view of the West Mesa horizon, its a truly beautiful thing - very Lunar or Martian.

May 16, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

you slept in the rug room vado?

you in querque poczatek?

May 16, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

My In-Laws are in ABQ - visit a few times a year - great City.
Probably be back in a couple months - anything new to see (other than on the list above)?

May 16, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Of all the beautiful neon and Route 66 signage in Albuquerque, this sign (by far) is one of my favorites...Right there on the main drag Central Ave...only in sNob Hill, ABQ:

May 16, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

The new architecture building and the new UNM hospital are worth a visit.

picks of the new architecture school here:
http://flickr.com/photos/thepeculiarform/sets/72157594507814220/

May 16, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Great help people,

I've always had a fascination of Albq., similar to my one with Detroit, or not 'hyped cities'. Also, if you refer to your Arch Record this month, there is a new project in OK City- a boat/row house along the OK River, downtown.

That sNob Hill sign is awesome, I'm guessing that wouldn't be legal in say, Salt Lake City.. Only in the South West..

May 16, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
baker

**BUMP**

Heading out on a roadtrip from Vegas across I-40 through AZ, NM, TX, OK on I-40. Any additional ideas about noteworthy things to see between Flagstaff / Albuquerque / Amarillo / OKC and heading northeast towards St. Louis via Tulsa (I'm familiar with StL and not looking for suggestions there.) Not an architectural hotbed, but I'd appreciate info about any hidden gems.

We'll pass the Cadillac Ranch, and I'm already familiar with Rand Elliott's work in OKC:
http://www.e-a-a.com/

And thanks to moratto, the goofy OKC stage center also:
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/okla/oklacity/johansen/theater.html

Thanks

Dec 18, 07 6:35 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

In Amarillo you can check out the Globe News Center For the Performing Arts

The Big Texan (home to the free 72 oz. steak)

And if you have half a day, I would recommend heading about 20 miles south on 1-27 to Palo Duro Canyon, the second biggest canyon in the US.

Dec 18, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

head north to Santa Fe on scenic route 14 off the 40 east of ABQ and check out Cerrillos and Madrid

Dec 18, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

just off 14 in Sandia Park outside exgirlfrien/future wife's moms crib...

Dec 18, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

Cerrillos used to be the first capital of Nm before santa fe and is where the conquistadors came to find the gold in the Ortiz mountains, and slaughtered many Indian uprisings...
lots of history and 400 year old buildings of adobe and such
there is a 3 story adobe trading post/museum scenic outlook

Dec 18, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: