Archinect
anchor

What are the Pros and Cons of Graduate school in architecture?

outthere

Im curious to know What are the Pros and Cons of Graduate school in architecture? I recently graduated from a four year college and was thinking about going back to school for my masters. I am working for a a firm in NYC right now and in the two months that ive worked there ive learned alot already. I have alot of time before i decide to start applying but I was wondering if it was worth it for me.

I love the work but money is a pretty big issue for me since i dont have much of it and have alot of outstanding loans from my B.S. degree. Do you think the pay will be much greater if go for my masters degree

May 13, 07 10:35 am
PetePeterson

yes do your masters and get licensed otherwise you're working for someone else for the rest of your life

May 14, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I would hold off if you arent sure...their is no need to rush into a grad school situation if you dont know why you would want to go to grad school. I ended up doing a 6yr program (4yr BS Arch, 2 yr M Arch). I really wasnt ready to fully take advantage of the masters program when I went through it..had I taken some time off to really decided what it was that I wanted to study, I would of been able to get more out of my education...

That being said, I do have an accredited professional degree, so there is no need for me to go back to school

May 14, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Pete P., you can get a license in NY without a pro degree... correct?

May 14, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

you used to. i think they changed the rules in 2000, but it's worth checking. you'd just be stuck with the NY license till you jumped through all the NCARB hoops (another 7 years experience, et cetera).

May 14, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

go here: http://www.op.nysed.gov/archlic.htm

May 16, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

NOot sure of the situation now but I graduated with a B.Arch but I understand the same school now calls it a M. Arch without any real changes in cirriculam. I was able to get registered etc. etc. after the standard process, back then the only really you would need a M. Arch was to teach. there was no need to have an M. Arch to complete your exams etc. it has not been an issue in the real world but I can see that many of those standards have been over hauled since then.

May 16, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Depends on what you want to do.

Personally, I think my masters was fun but not necessary. If I could do it over I'd get a masters in real estate dev, with architecture (I know Columbia has a program like this and others do too).

Just sit back and decide what is important, what you enjoy, etc. There is more than one direction you can take your career in.

Licensure is critical if you choose a traditional career path. I chose something alternative, so for me it is not necessary at all and I, most likely, will never have a need or desire to jump through the hoops.

May 16, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

Rozz thanks for the link i have been looking at that website and was wondering what they mean by "professional" and "preprofessional" is that grad school and bachelors or is that the calliber of school you went to??

from the link:
Category A:
First professional degree from a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
Maximum credit granted: 9 units

Category B:
First professional degree from a program not NAAB-accredited
Maximum credit granted: 8 units

Category C:
Partial completion of an NAAB-accredited program or a four-year preprofessional degree in architecture (or equivalent in course credit): two units of credit for each year completed up to a maximum of 7 credits
Maximum credits granted: 7 units
If full curriculum of an NAAB-accredited program was completed but no degree was granted, a maximum of 8 units may be allowed.

Anybody know?

O and trace if u dont mind me asking what alternative did you choose

May 17, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

degs- a professional degree is anything with an "Arch" at the end. So B.A. or a B.S. would be pre-professional, while a B.Arch or an M.Arch would be professional. An M.A., and M.S., or even a Ph.D. would not be professional, either.

May 17, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

oh, just to add- it's only 'preprofessional' if it's in architecture I believe. So a B.A. in computer science (or other random major) is nothing to them, while a B.A. in architecture is preprofessional. I think.

May 17, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I have a B.S. in architecture. That's pre-professional.

May 17, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

o ok ..thanks everyone

so i need 5 yrs exp b4 i can start taking the exams

May 18, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: