Archinect
anchor

3d chamfer in rhino

joe

I'm trying to do something that amounts to putting pitched roofs on a series of buildings in a ver rudamentary level of detail.

I'm using rhino 4.

I'm using the variable radius chamfer tool, and was curious if it was possible to have a non-uniform chamfer. right now I put in a number and it chamfers it equal on both sides.

I have a very slightly sloped roof, so I dont need that 1:1 roof pitch. can anybody advise on how to do this? oh, I'm using solids, and extruding all the footprints off a predrawn cad file. its at an urban scale and the roofs are the most detail that will be shown

or possibly is there a better way to do it? there are some pretty complex roof shapes, and I 'm not to sure this tool will work for everything.

thanks for any help.

May 11, 07 9:15 pm
joe

and for some reason it is impossible for me to move things in the z direction. even when I am in front/side views. and it seems even when I turn snaps off and tellit to move in the vertical direction it does but moves it very far away from where I am.

any ideas? in autocad I'd think it was something with the UCS, but I'm not sure about this program yet. thanks.

May 11, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
_ks

The easiest method you need to use if you are essentially extruding plans would be just to copy a cube on top of your base extrusion and then under Solid>Edge>ModeEdge. If you have this a huge amount of times you might wanna check into vbScript off Rhino's wiki. As far as your camera issues; When modeling 3d a good idea is to shortcut your CameraTarget Command to a key so you can immediately snap your camera target and re-fresh your viewport. Also maybe a bad question but your mouse has gotta have a wheel to graphically scroll through axis viewports. Sometimes you can accidentally increase the amount your wheel turn will zoom in out so that can mess with your view.

May 12, 07 3:55 am  · 
 · 
joe

thanks I'll try that out ks...

and I do have a mouse and can adequately navigate my model, and also reset the target to the object I'm working on, my issue is that for some reason I cant move in the vertical direction.

May 12, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 

I would forget chamfering and just make a big block to use as a cutting tool. Rotate it and position wherever you want so that the intersection between your cutting block and your house equals your roof slope, then difference 'em.

May 12, 07 9:34 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Also, they 'slab' command is da bomb when it comes to quickly modeling walls. Just draw a polyline for one side of the wall and then hit slab.

I haven't used the variable chamfer, but the trick is to manipulate the control points after you've selected your edge and hit return the first time. It should give you a little dynamic display with distance readout s when you grab and move the control points.

May 12, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Moveedge would actually be my preferred method for doing this kind of thing as well. You'll get some unexpected results with the chamfer at first....

moveface works well too....

May 12, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 
joe

thanks guys, I saw the move edge, guess I just have to try it.

I fixed everything else, made my terrain and am now blocking out the buildings, I'm going to do the roofs last.

another question now.

I have an undulatn gurban terrain and a 2d cad plan under that... can I project the road lines onto that surface and somehow loft the projected lines? I think I have done this in maya, but I'm not sure about this program yet.
hmm, or I could just extrude them up and trim them with the terrain.
I'm not too worried about this yet though.

May 12, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
http://www.cgarchitect.com/upclose/VI/default.asp

Although not specifically fro Rhino, these tutorials are the best I've found online for explaining Arch Vis. The 3 tutorials devoted to site work gave me many really useful tips.

And if you use Vray their walk through the settings is the BEST I have found.

May 12, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
joe

thanks FOG

May 12, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

a good number or rhino commands have a vertical toggle.
type "m" for move, and "v" for vertical. it will be constrained to the vertical now.

May 12, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

'tab' and 'ctrl" are also you're friends.

'tab' locks a direction in while you are drawing

'ctrl' activates the "elevator" mode and allows you to set the z-depth after snapping to a particular point

May 12, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
joe

THANK YOU> that rocks. I was trying to figure out their equivilent of the @0,0,2 in cad... and this seems to be it.

May 12, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
BrentJWatanabe

if your roads are still planar you can split the surface of your terrain and then just change the material. Once the surface is split you can then extrude for curbcuts etc.

May 13, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
joe

thanks brent...
fuckin a.
I love this forum.

May 14, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I'd recommend after doing brents bit, that you then do a quick 'dupborder' and then 'planarsrf' from the resulting border. I've found that once I really chop up a surface with all sorts of road and curb curves that you start to see some bad objects and failed meshing.

May 14, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

also ask at mcneels newsgroup

i know variable chamfer is on the wishlist because i put it there.

May 14, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

V4 has variable chamfer already. Time for an upgrade!

May 14, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

your right, my wish has been granted thats how good the rhino peeps are

May 14, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: