Archinect
anchor

Libeskind's $12,000 chair

bowling_ball

As a furniture designer, I find this kind of crap infuriating. Libeskind, of whom I'm no fan, designs a 'secret' $12,000 chair for his renovation of the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/211784

Libeskind describes it thusly: "Imagine you cut out a quarter of a cube at the corner. Then you use what is revealed through that cut as the bottom of the chair. Then the chair, shaped in a symmetrical way, rises in an unusual angle. And it rotates."

And it rotates, people! ROTATES!

May 9, 07 4:55 pm
mdler

it will probably suck as much as his building do

May 9, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if im gonna drom 12k on a chair...

May 9, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

'drop'...maybe I should spend the 12k on spelling lessons

May 9, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

so it rotates.
since chair rises in an unusual angle, it will be uncomfortable?

i wonder how much is mies' chair worth

May 9, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

mdler beat me to it...

May 9, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Do you think Libeskind will whine and moan until someone buys it?

May 9, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

for 12k, that chair best come with one hell of a lap dance

May 9, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hi garpike;)

May 9, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

pix plz?

May 9, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

In the article linked above, it mentions that pics will probably be revealed later this afternoon.

May 9, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Lib pulled a Wright as far as I'm concerned.....Architects do not always make great furniture designers....then there is Mac the Knife....best ever Architect in designing furniture.

May 9, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Would you rather have a David Childs chair?

May 9, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it'll prolly make my guts itch.

May 9, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

namby, it's still a secret. But imagine a crappy cube, with a crappy corner cut out and used as the base. It rotates... in a crappy way.

May 9, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i would pay 12 thousand dollars for a lawn chair if namby was sittin in it.

May 9, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

no flirting on Archinect....

May 9, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I believe flirtting wasn'ty the issue, mister. It was hijacking... oops, oh wait. That chair's gonna suck!

May 9, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

bdf....I would less like a pile created by mr. childs!

May 9, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the truth is not flirting. does this chair have the optional eyegouge feature?

May 9, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Im gonna buy the $20 version at IKEA

May 9, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

May 9, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

it rotates

May 9, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Where'd you get those? It looks painful.

May 9, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

from the Royal Ontario Museum website....it rotates, for Christ's sake

May 9, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

It's actually worse than I expected.

May 9, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

for $12k, it should at least be filled with coccaine

May 9, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LOL! It's almost worse than the building it is going into. Almost.

May 9, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

May 9, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

It looks like it's saying

I shoulda had a Gehry...

May 9, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
upside

function? comfort? a lebi cares not for these things

May 9, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

It seriously IS much worse than I'd expected.

A career based on the cube. And we (meaning the public at large) have bought it hook, line, and sinker. Sort of. I mean, if these things mattered even just a little bit to anybody other than Libeskind and his sycophants.

May 9, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my chair just rotated.

May 9, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

When is Childs gonna get the FDNY and NYPD to complain about the chair being unsafe?

May 10, 07 12:01 am  · 
 · 
upside

i cant decie if it's better or worse than his piano (which just remindes me of piano ties)

May 10, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
aspect

when a chair become so expansive that cannot reach the common household, it becomes a sculpture/art object... not much to do with architecture.

May 10, 07 12:41 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

wow, that "chair" that looks like the terd a co-worker forgot to flush this morning... only more bling.

May 10, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

or a dreidel

May 10, 07 1:17 am  · 
 · 
mdler

dude, the guy has always been a shitty architect

May 10, 07 3:18 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i disagree his reading, writing, memory machine project was some intense shit. i also like the berlin holocaust museum.

May 10, 07 3:30 am  · 
 · 
n_

That piano. Man, oh man.

Seriously? He designed that?

May 10, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 

i think that uncomfortable is the understatement of the year... how the hell do you even sit on it? the stainless will be cold, hard, and potentially sharp... and depending on the fabric of ones pants i can see people just sliding right off when the sit down and banging their head on a sharp corner...

"The contemporary, multi-faceted Spirit House Chair is architect Daniel Libeskind’s first foray into the world of furniture. The chair is constructed entirely of 14 gauge stainless steel with a brushed finish and weighs 180 lbs. It is designed to be oriented in five different positions and can be used as a side-table. Each chair takes 40 hours of labour to complete. As a special finishing touch, each chair will have Libeskind’s signature etched onto it."

from the press release...

May 10, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 

i can't link to it to post it here, but here's a picture with someone sitting in it... it's much different than i thought from looking at the pix that mdler posted from the press release...

May 10, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

architphil, the caption there says it all:

"ROM director William Thorsell pronounced the chair surprisingly comfortable, all things considered."

May 10, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
n_

I think we need to make fun of that piano some more.

May 10, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 

i agree n_

could we have some confirmation that it is in fact designed by libeskind???

oh look, here it is...

"RENOWNED ARCHITECT Daniel Libeskind, who designed the "Freedom Tower" that will eventually be built in lower Manhattan on the site of the fallen World Trade Towers, has tapped The Schimmel Piano Company of Braunschweig, Germany, to realize his design for a unique grand piano. Measuring nearly 18 feet long, with a curved lid and striking linear graphics, the instrument has been designed to occupy a place in the lobby area of the Freedom Tower."

May 10, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, look at that guy's boots sitting in the chair - he's been walking around the jobsite I guess. With the tie, and the glasses and all...super -cool.

The building? Hideous. The chair, less so.

May 10, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The piano has "striking linear graphics".

When I was in high school, during the fashion-tragic New Wave era, I would decorate sleeveless T-shirts with lines of black electrical tape. That piano reminds me of my foolish youth.

May 10, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

"Whoomp, chair it is"

May 10, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 

i'll give him a break if we learn that the piano was done in '86. if it was after '90, we need to start slinging poo.

May 10, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good point, Steven. It says it was designed for the Freedom Tower. But the 80s are back, right? Look at all the metallic leather ballet shoes running around.

May 10, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: