perhaps he was inspired by EVH...

May 10, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hahahaha excellent architphil!

May 10, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i know i'm in the minority here..but i kind of like the building.

the piano...not so much...i think whoever said it reminded them
of those piano ties said it perfectly..

the chair? i've always felt that chairs should be as cool to sit in
as they are to look at.. my standard has always been eames..
and this falls way short of that standard...

May 10, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

and i do think that the holocaust museum is fairly brilliant.

May 10, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Two things:

The ROM extension isn't as bad as some people think. The photos just don't do it justice. From an experience perspective, I think it'll be alright.

That chair is probably the worst chair I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of chairs. I'm not just saying that.

Oh, and one more thing...

What a douchebag.

May 10, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I like the Holocaust museum as well, but I wonder if he is trying to mass-market the style that he created there. I feel this way about many of the starchitects, BTW.

May 10, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm with larlarson on this one. I think the building is quite interesting.

I love the juxtaposition of his addition against the original. Interesting dichotomy. His addition looks almost parasitic, like it's about to digest the original whole. Now, I can see how that can be a complete negative feature, but I think it's pretty rad (for lack of a better word). I enjoy the play on textures, his smooth metal panels vs. the textured stone.

But, I have reservations with his museum work in general. His museums have become a one-hit wonder. They seem to be pastiche off of each other.

As for the piano, nothing. I've got nothing postive to say about that except Bernie Lomax might have had a similar piano in his beach house. If anyone knows what movie I am referring to, I heart you.

May 10, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
May 10, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Ding, ding, ding!!!!

God, I love that movie. It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!

May 10, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

wow, so that's the chair, ey?

great! gives me another reason to hate architecture!!!

May 10, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK

Im supprised you arent buying a condo in Newport...

May 10, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

This is my favorite quote from the article, by far:

"Brushed and hand-cut by a laser cutter (the process takes 40 hours), each chair weighs about 50 pounds."

Thats right, cut BY HAND BY A LASER CUTTER.

Damn.

-andrew

May 10, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

It's Covington, mdler. Covington. And it's looking more and more like ass every day.

· 
xtbl

ahahahaha!!! hand-cut by a laser cutter!? wtf!?

· 
bowling_ball

And I guess the weight has ballooned from 50 lbs yesterday, to 180 today. The cleaning staff is gonna have FUN with those things every night.

And call me skeptical about a hollow cube of SS weighing 180lbs. Just what kind of armature is inside that thing? Lead?

So, we have a non-functional chair that's probably not very comfortable at all. Great. Thanks Danny, you're doing wonders for both architecture AND furniture design.

Asshole.

May 10, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Danny Libinski- There are only so many times you can connect dots to make out of control, intersecting lines to form a museum

May 10, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the picture of the guy in the suit and dirty boots....wtf?

May 10, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

When hearing the saying 'better lucky than good' I never had a mental image of what it meant, now all I see is Danny's shit eating grin

May 11, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i think Danny should stick to designing buildings...his chair is an exercise in ego, and the piano's design shows no affinity or respect for the instrument itself...interesting, since he was a virtuoso pianist...

his earlier building designs were incredible when we first encountered them (experiencing the jewish museum in berlin is spacially and visually incredible); however, it seems his latest designs have been plagued by narcissistic tendencies, or maybe a dose of napoleonic complex...

regardless...this man needs to rediscover humility

May 11, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans
May 11, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
postal

...yes, jumped the shark... right on j

May 11, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Where's his hubby?

May 11, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just rotated in my chair 360! of course don't try this if youve been drinking.

May 11, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

perhaps if we all buy one he can stop trying to make architecture. He's peak after Berlin...stop already

May 12, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dude, it fuckin' rotates!!!!!!

Jun 15, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
toroid
Jun 15, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: