Archinect
anchor

acad: converting polyface mesh to 3d solid?

Urbanist

Ugh. I'm in thesis hell. This is probably a really stupid question, but is there any way to convert a polyface mesh into a 3d solid without resorting to a plug-in?

May 9, 07 1:12 am
xray

converitng is probably impossible.
if your object is just a polyhedron, with only flat faces you might find the following method useful:
1. make a big solid box - larger than the polyface mesh
2. place the box where the mesh is
3. start slicing the box according to the mesh's faces. use 3 points on each face to define each slicing plane
4. after all faces are sliced, dump the mesh
your poly-face solid is done.

May 9, 07 4:12 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Yes it is --- you export it into Max , there it is treaded as a Solid , You can cut holes in it, offset it , shell it whatever --- but if you then export it back to Acad then it again become a polymesh , with the changes you made to it.

May 9, 07 5:17 am  · 
 · 

If you can get the curves out of the mesh then you take them into Rhino and make surfaces from the curves. Join the surfaces into a solid and you're done.

May 9, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Remind me ,that many years ago I wanted unlimited "defination lines" so to be able to point to each one to define the 3D form, -- now that was not an option in AutoCAD unless you coded a program to load, yourself so to be able to do the things I did, I had to learn AutoLisp and do just that. Anyway the way this program turned out helped me understand how to do just that in other programs where it is possible to define a whole object from sections defining it. Even today AutoCAD can't do that even today I have to load my stoneage application but, then on the other hand , I can expand the limits in AutoCAD do things that is not possible with the limited tools Acad offer, ---- what I used it for ; to model boat hulls with exelent hull details not possible in any program, unfolding and transformation into single curved panels so to build the intire surface from what was modeled and 3D morphing -- something very different from the 2D picture morphing you know ,as this would in how many steps you want make the number of inbetweens of an aeroplane and a Sofa , between gotics and modern between ..... and ontop the structure to build the core for it.
Now even today Acad challance you to write these programs yourself if you want to use them to the limits if you want to understand CAD from the core of it. If you are just that little more serious about it then you need to know what it is made of, how it is done as only then you will be able to master it and bring what is already increadible that small step further .

May 11, 07 8:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: