Archinect
anchor

Microsoft OS for Intel Macs?

squaresquared

Disclaimer: I'm sure this has been posted/asked before, but I can't seem to find any previous topics or discussions about this. Sorry to repeat...

Does anyone who uses an Intel Mac have an opinion about which version of the Microsoft OS works best with Rhino and AutoCAD? XP Pro, XP Home or Vista? Since I've been a Mac user all of my life, I'm in the dark.

Thanks for any suggestions!

May 7, 07 4:06 pm
cpnorris

I don't think Vista works with anything. I think XP is your best bet but I don't know which one is better. I would assume pro would be better if thats an option.

May 7, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If it were my system, I'd go with XP Pro. I don't think XP Home has the muscle, and I wouldn't touch Vista with a barge pole.

May 7, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

XP Pro. Vista does not work with Rhino, any AutoCAD prior to Autodesk 2008, and God knows what else. I just bought a new machine with Vista, only to discover it doesn't support anything. Guess I should have done my homework. Good thing I didn't get rid of my old machine yet.

May 7, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Thanks, fellow 'necters.

May 7, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

2003 eXPerience

May 7, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

but vista does work with Rhinoceros SR1. not that i want to touch vista.

May 7, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
simian

Just a question for everyone. When one runs Windows on Intel Macs how does the system deal with missing keys; is there a way to press alt or ...insert or home (i'm not too familiar with mac keyboards but i know there at least a few different keys).

May 7, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You can often use the "fn" key in combination with another key to get the desired effect. Example: pressing the "fn" and "delete" key gets you a backspace. Beyond that, I think that tumbleweed might have some insight for you....

May 7, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Vista is nicer to use (it minimizes the vast differences between OS X and XP), but XP is more compatible with the software already available. Have tried rhino and it seems a bit slow, since microsoft hasn't got the best openGL support in Vista but the update to rhino will integrate direct x support.

May 8, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

see for update: http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/DirectX.html

and i repeat 2003 is faster and just as compatible as XP.

from a tiny2003 nfo:

MOVE OVER XP! Server 2003 outperforms XP, it installs
faster, it boots faster, it runs applications faster,
it manages programs better, it never slows down (even
after days of being left on) and it even gives better
frame rates in games over XP.

May 8, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I fouled up another thread by stating that my Mac Pro has a print screen key, and in fact a full keyboard without any missing keys whatsoever. I guess dem portables don't have all the keys.

If you're only concerned with Rhino, they have no intention of making it 64 bit, the big deal with Vista, anytime soon. However if you want to render with Rhino or one of it's plug-ins, being able to address more than 2gbs of ram will come in handy. (Being able to afford a Mac that you can plug-in over 2gbs is also an issue.)

May 8, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ya for a render workstation running maxwell vray or other and where you want more than 2 gigs of ram, i would not make that anything mobile because the size limits and because rendering takes time, and when you are on the go that is not often had at full power.

May 9, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: