Archinect
anchor

Off to Portland...

amalga-man

I am soon off to Portland, Oregon soon from the Mid-West. Does the smart panel of Architects have any suggestions of duties/sights to perform/peruse in the Portland and Seattle area?

Aug 16, 04 3:24 pm
anatomical gift

You should definitely stop and visit your friends in Chicago.

Aug 16, 04 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
amalga-man

Hmmm, well, I don't have any friends in Chicago...

Aug 16, 04 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
A

There are a lot of micro breweries scattered across the pacific northwest. By far the best thing that I've found out there, but then again beer is my life.

Aug 16, 04 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
amalga-man

Thank you A, I'm nearly sure I will be a-visiting as many BrewHaus as possible!

Aug 16, 04 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Go to the Mount Angel library by Aalto. It's outside the city, I'm not sure where, but definately worth the trip.

Aug 16, 04 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

Portland:
-Mt. Hood: Go have a snowball fight on the glacier. Easy to get there, no hiking required. Plus the Timberline lodge is something to see. It was the mansion (exterior shots only) in the movie "the shining". The inside though is actually pretty cool, all WPA craftsman made details. Very northwest.

-The coast: Go to Cape Kawanda and climb around the dunes. Canon beach is iconic.

-Beer: The Lauralthirst pub, The Lucky Lab, The Kennedy School (middle school turned into massive pub/hotel), The Cellar (Cyrstal Ballroom Annex), Black Butte Porter (best beer IMO)

-Architecture: ...um...um...great city, great urban density, but not too much great architecture. Without plugging my old job too much, I have to say that the few buildings that allied works has in pdx are worth a look. The Weiden&Kennedy Building and the building near the corner of glisan and nw23rd are worth checking out. But honestly, in my 4 years there, I took less photos and was less inspired architecturally then in any other city I've lived in.

-Arts: PICA (in Pearl Distrinct and inside the W&K building), the Maryhill museum (the museum isn't all that great but the drive up the columbia gorge is worth the trip. Stop off at some of the waterfalls on the way.

-Food: Taqueria Nueve on NE28th, ClarkLewis and Montage in the eastside warehouse district, Cafe Castagna on Hawthorne, La Happy for late-night crepes in NW, Lemongrass on NE Couch.

I've been away for a year so that's all I can remember at the moment. Have a great time.

Aug 16, 04 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
melvin

the mt. angle library is in mt. angel. down by woodburn i think. don't know, i was too drunk after the oktoberfest to remember where I was.

Kudless above is right about a lack of inspiring contemporary bldgs, although the city itself has some inspirational aspects. actually, seattle's the same. just the library, and then a few slightly interesting bldg's here and there.

check out the discussion search tool. there have been 3 discussions about portland in the last few months (maybe 4).

Aug 16, 04 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

we're driving to mount angel tomorrow actually...

Aug 16, 04 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Mt. Angel is just outside of Salem, about an hour south of Portland---and well worth the trip.

Don't miss the aptly named Powell's City of Books in downtown Portland---the most amazing bookstore there is. A huge section on architecture, and landscape, and cities, and anything else you'd want to look at. Plan to spend at least 3 hours....

Aug 16, 04 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
hurleycowboy

Portland is not the best city for architecture, however, check out the pearl district (NW Portland) and drive around up in the west hills to catch a glimpse of portland's rare shards of modernism. I also reccomend the central library 3rd floor go to right for the 720's we have a good collection. Get a book out on Pietro Belluschi and go see some of his work. Was the late dean of the arch program at MIT.
Andrew Kudless,
What was working at Allied Works like? I work in a firm across from Weiden and Kennedy. I checked out that 23rd bldg. and it didnt look like much but I think that's because all I saw was the hair salon. Thanks
'

Sep 6, 04 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

-I second the trip up the gorge, the lodge at Multnomah Falls is also a WPA project as I recall.

-Go for a hike in Forest Park. The largest wilderness park within city limits in the United States (yes bigger than griffith park).
-Mill Ends park: The smallest park in the world at 452 sqin located on Front Street.

-Pioneer Square
-Saturday Market in Old town by Skidmore Fountain
-Portland Art Meuseum by Pietro Bellusci
-Pittock Mansion
-The Grotto
-The Park Blocks

-Check out the drinking fountains (Benson Bubblers) on the sidewalks all over downtown portland, sommissioned by Simon Benson in 1912 to quench the might thirst of the loggers on the street (I don't know why the loggers were in downtown portland...).

-Montage (restaraunt): it's more of an event than a restaraunt, located under the Morrison Street Bridge in the East side industrial district, you will be seated with total stragners, possibly a traveling troupe of trasvestite mime strippers on the one side and a federal judge and his cartiologist friend on the other, equally eclectic employees (slightly ahead of the fashion curve with a slightly grunginy street punk feel) and a sort of cajun flavor to the food, and it's open late too.

-Oba: restaruant in the Pearl District (Hoyt and 12th I believe).
-Any of the McMenamins Brew Pubs are good.

-The Chinese gardens are a bit cheesey, but the Japanese gardens in Washington Park are worth the trip (and the ~$7 admission).

-Theres usualy something going on in the Summer on the waterfront, and the bbridges are nice.

-If you go the coast Ft. Stevens is the only soil of the continental united states to be fired upon durring WWII (a Japanese submarine fired one shot...it did nothing...) or somethign like that.

-Ft. Clatsop, THE END OF THE OREGON TRAIL.

-Tillamoook Cheese Factory
-The Spruce Goose at the Evergreen Aviation Meuseum
-Seattle Museum of Flight at Boeing Field
-Frank Lloyd Wright Usonina house at the Oregon Gardens
-The Aquarium in Newport
-Valley of the Giant: Crazy old growth Rain forest on the Coast.
-The goonies house in Astoria (and Cannon Beach for the infamous rocks)
-Mt. Hood Railroad Dinner Train

-In seattle you have to go to Pikes Place and see the flying fish (not that kind of flying fish). And I guess there's the new library (I don't think I can reccoment the EMP but), the space needle might be worth it.

-If by chance you take some bikes along with you both are great bike towns and you should hit up the San Juan islands in the Puegot Sound. Davidsons and TiCycles are sweet bike shops in downtown Seattle.

-If you SCUBA dive check out the Tacoma Narrows, the old bridge is still down there, though you have to be good and now when the tides come and go, its called the narrows, becasue it's the narrow part of the sound, so when the tide is coming in our out there's quite a current (only for advanced divers).

-Steven holl art museum in Bellvue (might be closed).

I should write a tour guide...

Sep 6, 04 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: