Archinect
anchor

Architect Quotes

oregon

What are some of your favorite, or least favorite, Architects quotes?

Aug 16, 04 2:32 pm
threshold

"Architecture is the art of how to waste space."
- Philip Johnson

"When a building's this good, who gives a fuck about the art."
- Philip Johnson commenting on the Bilbao Guggenheim

Aug 16, 04 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Sorry, that wasn't the link and now I've lost it, anyway..

ARCHITECT: One who drafts a plan of your house, and plans a draft of your money.
Ambrose Bierce
1842-1914, American Author, Editor, Journalist, ''The Devil's Dictionary''

Aug 16, 04 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

"I am an eyewitness to the ways in which people relate to themselves and to each other, and my work is a way of scooping and ladling that experience."
-Richard Neutra

Aug 16, 04 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

"I aspire too much, expect but little"
-Charles Garnier, 1858. This was the name of his project in the competition for the new Opera in Paris. 35 years old when he won. he only had built a little shop before... he didn't even had his own office.
I guess its a variation of the typical "Hope for the best, plan for the worst"... don't know which one of these two came first...

Aug 16, 04 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

"Burn what you love, love what you burn"

-Le Corbusier

Aug 16, 04 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
A

"The most amazing thing about our dreams is that they can be realized"

-le corbusier

Aug 16, 04 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

"Always design a thing by considering it in its next larger context -- a chair in a room, a room in a house, a house in an environment, an environment in a city plan." --Eliel Saarinen , "Time", July 2, 1956

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies. --Le Corbusier

Only work which is the product of inner compulsion can have spiritual meaning. --Walter Gropius

Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business. --Philip Johnson

A great building must begin with the unmeasurable, must go through measurable means when it is being designed and in the end must be unmeasurable.
--Louis Kahn

I think Ms. Monroe's architecture is extremely good architecture. --Frank Lloyd Wright....speaking of Marilyn Monroe, actress.

Aug 16, 04 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

"function fucks with form"
-Lewis. Tsurumaki. Lewis.

Aug 16, 04 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
aldorossi

From a professor, in the early eighties when Post-Modern meant pastel neo-classical Michael Graves Wedding cakes:

"Post-Modernism is just Modern Architecture in drag."

Kind of silly unitil you think of it in terms of technology.

Aug 16, 04 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

'Move the table' -FLLW

Aug 16, 04 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"Less is more work" - Rick Joy

Aug 17, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
THREADS

"I don't want to be good I just want to be famous" tigerman

"You know, Zaha, Foster...they are just leeches on society...really"
neil spiller

Aug 17, 04 11:44 am  · 
 · 

The architect (the artist) must imagine for each window a person at the sill; for each door a person passing through; for each stair a person going up or down; for each portico a person loitering; for each foyer two persons meeting; for each terrace somebody resting; for each room, somebody living within. – Gio Ponti

Every beautiful piece of architecture has survived its original appearance, purpose, and function, and many have served many functions successively. The right of an architectural work to last – and finally, its right to be – lies only in its beauty and not in its function. For it assumes a new function – beauty. Beauty is the most resistant structure and the most resistant material. – Gio Ponti

In this architect's mind, what is taking place is a social and intellectual encounter between two characters, the building and the visitor. They meet, they exchange glances, they inquire of one another…And like all meetings, this one occurs at a particular time and in a particular place. – Robert Campbell on Moneo

Modernism is tradition – while ‘traditionalism’ is hypocrisy. “It’s just so annoying that people want to build old-fashioned houses so they can live the dream of a life that never was.” – Gwen Briggs (subject) and Marc Kristal (author), from Dwell, March 2003.

Aug 17, 04 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

" i am not now, nor have i ever been a post-modernist."
-r.venturi

Aug 17, 04 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

ray kappe to me,
- what are you doing these days?
- umm. mostly small jobs. residential work.
- be careful, don't get stuck with them. look what happened to me.

Aug 17, 04 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

"I don't discuss architecture with my clients." Kenneth Yeang

"the idea is that any city is a palimpset of old and new so the architect must both save and destroy as the new is created." EOM

"Architecture is not a business, not a career, but a crusade and a consecration to a joy that justifies the existence of the art." Henry Cameron: the fountainhead

"you don't want to polish a turd. Anyone can polish a turd, but none-the-less it remains a turd." Linkin Park (the band. not an architect, however I think it can be applied to architecture)

Aug 17, 04 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

you can never trust an architect who's roofs don't leak because he isn't being creative enough

flw

Aug 17, 04 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Bureaucrats: they are dead at 30 and buried at 60. They are like custard pies; you can't nail them to a wall.

-FLW

Aug 17, 04 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Harvard takes perfectly good plums as students, and turns them into prunes.

-FLW

Aug 17, 04 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

bump

Oct 13, 04 1:21 am  · 
 · 
jaja

"if it doesn't fit, you must acquit"

Johnny cochrane

Oct 13, 04 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: