Archinect
anchor

A History of Architecture - Banister Fletcher. The various editions?

TheCollector

Is anyone here familiar with the book, A History of Architecture, by Banister Fletcher? I understand there are currently 20 editions, each with different drawings and text.

The original copies (up to the 6th edition) contained drawings by Fletcher's father who he originally published the first book with. After the 6th edition these were replaced by drawings by other architects. The 16th edition was Fletcher's last and the ones after this seem to have recieved some criticism.

i know the 1996 (20th edition) is the most recent and probably contains the most information but I have heard negative reviews about it and seeing as I am buying the book for the pre-1960 history mostly, I am not concerned about having the latest history.

Some questions;

- What is the difference in the drawings between the earlier and later copies?

- What are the main differences between the more recent editions and the earlier? Has the earlier text been rewritten at all for example? and are there extra drawings etc?

- What are your general views on the various editions of the book?

Sep 2, 12 5:54 pm
fabiojulesfrison

The old illustrations are of an unmatched quality, they are some of the best in History of Architecture. I cannot understand why they would have been replaced.
I have been searching the internet for a folio edition, but surprisingly there hasn't been one.

Aug 28, 18 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's a fantastic resource. It got me through Architectural History class. 

Aug 28, 18 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: