Archinect
anchor

Northwestern University -- Architecture Program?

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I heard an uncorroborated rumor last night that Northwestern is starting an architecture program -- has anyone else heard about this?

Apr 21, 07 12:50 pm
vado retro

well they might as well, theres a design within reach in evanston.

Apr 21, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If it's true, then it's good news. It's pretty sad that UIC and IIT are the only games in town, in a city this size and with this much of an architectural pedigree. Northwestern is a good school, and if they're willing to put adequate resources into getting an architecture program off the ground, it could potentially be a very good program. It will take a long time to make it happen, though.

Apr 21, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
some person

My husband (a Northwestern grad) received word the other day that the university is expanding its Design Institute within the engineering school, however it will be based in engineering not architecture, apparently.

Apr 21, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
db

That'd be great, but frankly I'm waiting for the Univ of Chicago to get in the game. They're building a huge new arts complex, and I wouldn't be suprised if the expansion allows for a new program or two (I hope).
Incidentally, SAIC also has an Architecture program -- though it is pretty new.

Apr 23, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Northwestern school of Engineering may be parterning with SAIC's new Architecture program, a move that will theoretically let students take classes at both institutions.

Hell will freeze over before UofC seriously considers starting an architecture school. I have yet to find a single person in architecture that comes close to their idea of a scholar. Their idea is so conservative that they closed their Education school in the 90s because there was no real research being done in education.

Apr 23, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The trend is to eliminate architecture schools not build more.

Apr 23, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

agreed ep. agreed. what i don't understand is why more schools would be offering programs in a field that is already saturated with graduates working for peanuts. it's all aabout the passion i guess. when i lived in rogers park i used to hang in evanston quite a bit. i guess im just a bourgeious yuppie surbanite wannabe.

Apr 23, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I think that would make you Urbane:

ur·bane /ɜrˈbeɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ur-beyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. having the polish and suavity regarded as characteristic of sophisticated social life in major cities: an urbane manner.
2. reflecting elegance, sophistication, etc., esp. in expression: He maintained an urbane tone in his letters.

Apr 23, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

that ain't me.

Apr 23, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

as for archi programs - architecture alumni just dont contribute to the mission of most universities. Its an exspensive program that doesnt return on investment. Which my midwestern logic tells me than there is something wrong with architecture schools because there is a demand for architects just not what architectuer schools produce.

Apr 23, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Vado they should put your pic under "polished sauvity"

Apr 23, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

good point and i am waiting for someone to develop a program(somene being some entrepeneurs not uni's) which could be a bootcamp ro suply the real world skills that architecture firms really need.

Apr 23, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

seriously - you shouldnt be allowed to copy out of magazines until your proficient at actually understanding how what your copying gets put together.

Apr 23, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Apr 23, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Unfortunatly Gin - Id rather have them than most grads

Apr 23, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm sure the strip malls they build are flawlessly detailed.

Apr 23, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
KEG

Would you guys want to go to a new program...no matter how good the school is? I just couldn't picture myself being comfortable with the investment of attending a program that had no track record.

Apr 23, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think it would depend on the school. For example, I'd feel comfortable going to a new M.Arch. program at someplace like Cornell or City College of New York because both schools have had well-regarded B.Arch. programs for a long time.

For a university, even one as good as Northwestern, to start up a brand-new architecture program from scratch is a little more risky. I'd be inclined to give them a few years to see how it shapes up. Of course, I'll already be done with my M.Arch. at some other university by that point, so whatever NWU does won't have a direct bearing on my personal educational plans. It would be nice to see the Chicago area gain another good architecture school, though.

Apr 23, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

My strip malls are flawlessly detailed - this way our asses dont get sued, we make money, and our firm is able to sustain itself for the 1 or 2 artistic projects we get a year that actualy seem to lose us money and return only pride.

Maybe Im beating a dead horse but architecture education has not lead to better architecture. Banks have more say control over the built environment than we do - and by the way Northwestern Kellog school of businees is tops in the nation baby - thats where the real cheese is.

Apr 23, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'd rather go to a school that, instead of teaching me how to flawlessly draft strip malls, critically examines whether or not society should be filling the landscape with strip malls.

The problem with our profession is that we already have too many architects willing to spend their careers being CAD monkeys for the banks and developers, regardless of the social and environmental consequences. Transforming architectural education into a trade school would be the final nail in that coffin.

Apr 23, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

It wouldnt be the nail in the coffin - it would be the admission to what people all ready think of us - we are 21st century tradesmen.

The problem with architecture schools is they dont believe in beauty.

Apr 23, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, if you're content to spend the rest of your career as a tradesman designing strip malls for developers, more power to you. But don't begrudge the rest of us who have higher ambitions than that.

Apr 23, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i completely agree with LiG...

Im not going to argue about the meaning of our profession, or whats wrong with architecture today. The only thing i DO know is that there is no way I, personally, could survive as a cad monkey working on suburban houses and strip malls. I dont care if my company makes lots of money doing it, i dont care if those in the outside world think im a glorified tradesmen with 5 years of worthless education. If i dont have my idealism i dont know what i have.

Is it completely worthless that many come out of arch school filled with ideas they never would have otherwise considered?? Is the point of a university education to get you ready to slave away in cad for the rest of your life? I never viewed my education as such, i didnt go to school with anyone who saw their education as such and i definetly dont work with any people who studied architecture to prepare for a life of drudgery.

How many here dreamed or still dream about the options that are now possible because we have learned to think about architecture?
i would venture a guess the number who dream are far greater than those who dont.
i mean no offense when I say that the day the same things are taught in architecture schools as are taught in devry's is the day architecture dies in my mind.

Apr 23, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

although people talk so much about design on this site. we are designers. what about design. i am a designer, the fact is that most "designers" me included when going pro arent equipped to make design decision effectively or efficiently. school teaches us to push shit around for fifteen weeks rather than to make decisions. so, even in the realm where architecture school is supposed to teach it fails. i'm not talking about a vocational school. i m talking about a profession. the lack of practical knowledge only holds you down at the beginning because so much time is spent getting up to speed. i'm talking about something different entirely. a bootcamp that will help johnny grad school be worth something. that is all.

Apr 23, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Vado-n-Liberty's Arch Grad Bootcamp - that's it, vado, your million dollar idea. Let's get together tomorrow and draw up a business plan.

evilp, I'm intrigued by your comment re: beauty. I tend to think of beauty being found in a well-resolved detail that takes carpentry, tradition, and creativity all into account. Is that what you mean?

Apr 23, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

LIG - chill out - no one "begruged" you - I bet a good strip mall designer could beat out some columbia grad in any building type in open competition. Heres why: You have to tread through the shit to get good. You have to design a quite a few strip malls or suburban houses to develop true design sensibility toward scale, toward craft, toward clients. Ive never once thought while designing a strip mall I was some how not aspiring to anything greater. In fact thats a back handed compliment somehow implying stripmall designers do not aspire to anything greater and that somehow aspiration is the sole domaine of the acedemic. Daniel Burnham would role over in his grave if he heard that!

Apr 23, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

UPDATE: Norhwestern started a new Architectural Engineering and Design major in the university's McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science. The program will be administered through the program of Civil and Environmental Design. The first classes will be offered this Fall (look here and here)

Sep 2, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

And, the program is being headed by Laurence Booth.

Sep 2, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

in many cases:

it takes five years to get you to "re-think" what you see around you

then five more to "de-think" in order to re-see what you had re-thought...and, more humiliatingly, re-build it.

Sep 3, 08 2:43 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, it's a start. Maybe in a few years it will be spun off as its own independent NAAB-accredited architecture program. IMO, UIC and IIT have had a local duopoly in architectural education in Chicago for far too long, and it's good to see some other local schools get in on the action.

Just out of curiosity, have any other major American universities started brand-new architecture programs from scratch in recent years?

Sep 3, 08 9:59 am  · 
 · 
xacto

umbau? sounds like an architecture school (unaccredited) unlike any other.

http://www.umbauschoolofarchitecture.org/

Sep 3, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

ahaha duopoloy, it sounds so menacing. UIC and IIT just happen to offer architecture programs, it isn't like they have some anti diversity in education agenda going on.

Sep 3, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't think IIT or UIC are deliberately trying to limit diversity in architectural education (as if they had any way of doing so, or as if they even wanted to), but I think Chicago suffers from having only two* accredited schools of architecture, especially when those two schools tend to swap the same faculty members back and forth. More schools will (hopefully) bring more lectures, more visiting faculty from outside the city, and provide more teaching opportunities -- and more studying opportunities -- for those already in Chicagoland.

By way of comparison, Philadelphia has four accredited schools of architecture, SF has three or four, LA has at least three, and NYC has five in the city alone. The Art Institute and NWU both have excellent general reputations beyond the Midwest, and if they each can eventually get their programs accredited, Chicago will have a much richer architectural culture.

* Yeah, I know Notre Dame, Andrews, Judson, UW Milwaukee, and U of I are each within a couple hours from Chicago, but there's something to be said for being in the city itself... And the first three of those architecture programs serve certain "niche" roles and can't really be mentioned in the same breath as most other mainstream schools.

Sep 3, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey i was just reading somewherez about laurence booth's run in with the evanstonians about a midrise building. apparently blair kamin really bashed it and now many evanstonians are pullin a nimby. oh here ItIs!

Sep 3, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: