Archinect
anchor

getting a book published

xtbl

anyone ever do it? is it difficult? has anyone here self-published?

Apr 17, 07 4:43 am
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I think Stephen (quondam or ledeuzzy or whatever he is going by today) has.

Apr 17, 07 4:46 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I think this is what you are looking for ;

http://www.lulu.com/

Your own book from your own manuscript , at same cost as if you go to a bookshop and buy an average cost book.

Apr 17, 07 5:41 am  · 
 · 
n_

lulu is the way to go if you don't have a million dollar contractor from a publishing company.

Apr 17, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i think firstly u need to find a copy-editor for architectural subject before getting publish, which i have no idea where to find!

Apr 17, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

--------- Just wonder ; if you realy need to find someone to ask, then do you realy have something on your mind ?

Apr 17, 07 11:12 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

thanks guys. lulu looks like the way to go.

a friend of mine proposed an idea for a book that i got really excited about and wanted to help her with. i suggested first setting up a photo essay blog, and then take it from there, because i was imagining how difficult it would be to actually get a book published.

i'll definitely let her know about lulu.

thanks guys!

Apr 17, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

cool

i could write my archinect memoirs...voyeurism 2.0

Apr 17, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i wanted to bump this because i have several books forming in my head and wondered if anyone knew the process for doing this. it's more a survey of projects that i think would be very well received that for some reason, have failed to get much recognition.

at this point, i feel like i've got the buildings lined up. so do i contact a publisher (taschen, birkhauser, etc) with a proposal? what about getting photographs and plans of the project - go through the architect? interviews with the architect for a more in depth look?anyway, it's been building up for a while and as an early new year's resolution, i'd like to start feeling this out. but as i've never done anything like this, any clues/tips/contacts would be great. also, how do i get juhani pallasmaa to pen a foreword for me?

Dec 18, 07 4:13 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

If deep waters don't scare you lulu.com is the way to go --- you maybe think you need the feedback , but doing things the average way, maybe you be lucky after waiting a year or more that someone who allready has hundred manuscripts to chose from, will or will not drop you a line.

------ You allready weaken your project by asking how to get what you think is nessery, but can't that be replaced by a forword by ten anonymous but relevant to the people you want to reach, can't you get a better feedback that way ?

Dec 18, 07 5:53 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

per,

i was kidding about th foreword.

i don't think lulu is the way i'd want to go on this, i'd imagine it'd be better to have backing from a pub.

Dec 18, 07 7:17 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Why start big when having your own book printed exactly as you want is so cheap. Why not just try it, and then with the book in your hand get inspired about what is could be ?

Dec 18, 07 7:22 am  · 
 · 
rfuller
Why start big when having your own book printed exactly as you want is so cheap.

-Reason #984 why no one has ever heard of 3dh.

Dec 18, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

zaphod- beyond self publishing is doing a real book. you don't need a literary agent (though it helps) to submit a proposal/abstract to a publisher. several architectural presses even have open submission calls and actively seek out new authors, like princeton architetural press's pamphlet architecture series. or contact former professors/acquaintances that have books out there for advice and assistance. academics are always seeking new notches for their cv, so you may find an eager accomplice in the ivy towers.

Dec 18, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

'zines

Dec 18, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

Dec 18, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

all you need is a stapler and a photocopying machine

Dec 18, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I ran a zine called cat-ass-trophy for a few years in austin and bozeman...fun stuff. scissors, glue stick and a xerox machine...those were the days.

Dec 18, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

Lulu kind of sucks. Weak bindings, thin paper, and not much customization. But hey, it's 1000x better than kinkos (or other copy shops), if those are your two options.

Dec 18, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Try www.blurb.com too. (I've heard they're better than www.lulu.com.)

I just had them print an 11x13" hardcover 90 page book of a trip I took to Nepal. Full bleed Iris-printed photographs.

Their software is effortless, and a single copy of the book cost around $70.

Dec 18, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: