Archinect
anchor

review of employer

chigurh

I worked at a firm that was miserable for a long time due to the recession.  Had I known before hand how shitty it was, I would have never applied.

When looking for other jobs, I googled a potential employer to find this yelp review: 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/j-t-nakaoka-associates-architects-los-angeles

Thoughts on this kind of review?  How do we as a community vet shitty employers?  Word of mouth?  I like this interwebs approach, saving potential employees the grief at ending up at a shit-hole.  I only wish more of these kinds of reviews were available.  

Aug 28, 12 7:46 pm
citizen

While it can provide some instant gratification to roast online someone you don't like or respect , I'd be careful.  On one hand, karma's a bitch.  On the other hand, most local professional communities are small; it may be hard to keep your identity a secret for long, especially if you elaborate on your past employer's sins to the level of detail we know you want to.  And if you get a reputation for post-employment character assassination, you might just as well toss it all and go wait tables.  It'd be hard to get hired with that rep.

Bad people usually get theirs, one way or the other....

Aug 28, 12 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Some bad people get theirs. Some don't.

Unless they physically harmed you (or others), the best thing you can do for yourself is move on. Sounds defeatist, bit it's actually escapist! As in, getthefuckouttathere!. Mentally. You'll be better off.

Life is short (according to your proctologist REALLY short) so make the most out of the 5 years remaining. 

Truth.

Aug 28, 12 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
digger

chigurh: how do we know you're not a shitty employee?

Aug 28, 12 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

ha.

i wouldn't ever write something like that, but I do think it's helpful that people do.

I am a shitty employee.

Aug 28, 12 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I always think it is best to start a 'such and such firm is a shitty place to work' thread on Archinect

Aug 28, 12 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

shitty employer or not - remember the Golden Rule "those who have the gold make the rules" if you want to continue working in architecture - keep negative opinions to yourself - I know what too many who popped off and have not worked in over 2 years - here in San Francisco, if you pull a stunt like that - you are done

Aug 29, 12 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

Besides, isn't a better place to review employers someplace like glassdoor.com?

Aug 29, 12 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

While not employed in architecture but the manager of a business ... I'm always frightened by this sort of thing. However, we live in an age of 'hypercriticality.'

Why is it okay to review restaurants, cafes and food vendors? Why is it acceptable to share your experiences of service-people and service companies on websites like Angie's List? Why is that companies actually create business judging another company's credit-worthiness and business acumen? Why are doctors, lawyers and accountants frequently hung out to dry based on their track records? And let's not even get into the countless websites with millions of product reviews where people detail every single failure, quirk or nuance of an item up for sale.

And then we suddenly get into the professional service field, particularly those with a creative side, from graphic design to engineering to architecture ... it is suddenly not okay to talk about the track record of firms?

Aug 29, 12 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
stone

J. James R.: "... it is suddenly not okay to talk about the track record of firms?"

My view is that the average person -- even the average employee -- is not privy to enough information to make an informed decision about a firm's track record.

It's one thing to eat one meal at a restaurant and then be able to pass judgement on food quality, service and value -- but, even that is just one impression.

It's altogether another thing to fairly assess the quality, service and value of a professional service when that service is delivered over months - maybe years - and involves many, many interactions between individual members of the service provider team and the team of the client.

Aug 29, 12 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

There's also a big difference between a customer reviewing a business and an employee reviewing a business. Yelp is a place for customer reviews, not for employees to complain about their bosses. There are sites like glassdoor as cyberpunk mentioned, and there was one up for a while called insidearch but most of the reviews that really said anything were contested by the firms and taken down. If you have a problem at your office, talk to them.

Aug 29, 12 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

these days the behind all those smiling faces in the office is a a person scared to death of even remotely saying something negative at the office, everyone including me at times will pretend they love their job whatever that may be, and will never admit that something is wrong really wrong, oh well

Sep 5, 12 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: