Archinect
anchor

grosse pointe?

liberty bell

Wow, thanks for being here snarkitect! It would be great to see more, within the limits of your firm's liabilities/comfort level, of course.

I like what I see in the floor plans, and will be excited to see the elevations. My favorite part of the vadonna plan, I have to admit, was how we stretched the site plan to try to affect the street - we actually proposed to do continuous paving from across the street all the way to the library entry, making a paved outdoor "street plaza" for festivals, etc.; I know that's a bit excessive without the power of one big donor/player at the table. Still, I will be very interested to see the urban design aspects of DesignLAB's proposal, and hope there is funding for some paving/landscaping/exterior work to well integrate the building into the streetscape.

Jan 17, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

ap, yes, i should know the name of the mural artist...but my brain has been fried by a combination of work, tropical sunshine and rum. i honestly can't remember the details of much anything else these days.

nice to hear from an insider at designlab. all things considered, i feel that one of the most special aspects of this entire library project has been the transparency of so much of the process, both architectural and political. this really should be a case study for more public projects.

Jan 17, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

good call, AP. that's right. here's a little bio from knoll.

http://www.knoll.com/designer/designer_detail.jsp?designer_id=114

Jan 17, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

this is somewhat of a tangent, but i just found the following bio regarding hawkins ferry (probably the man most responsible for the bruer designed central library) by a blogger called supergay detroit via modelD.

the blog entry details some of ferry's contributions to detroit, shows a few nice photos of his very modern bachelor pad and even includes a link directly to the virtual activism feature on archinect followed by this quote:

"Grosse Pointers may not like modern, but they like being called cultural Neanderthals even less."

Jan 22, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

supergay detroit?

Jan 22, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay for gay! (That writeup was fabulous fun.)

Jan 22, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 

actually a really nice bio.

Jan 22, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: