Archinect
anchor

ARE 3.0 or ARE 4.0 Transition Candidate?

StudioWookie

Can it be done having til May 08 to complete ARE 3.0 or is it worth waiting for new ARE 4.0 assuming there not any more difficult than existing?

....thoughts.....

Apr 16, 07 2:28 pm
aquapura

If you start the 3.0 now you have a 1-year overlap to continue testing in the 3.0 version, so technically you have just over 2 years. At least that's what I've been told. Do know people who did the whole thing in under 1 year. Either way, I wouldn't postpone taking it. Good luck!

Apr 16, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

woud the transition prolong testing??

Apr 16, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

If you would ordinarily start testing now, but are postponing starting until the release of 4.0 then you'd be "prolonging testing" by waiting more than a year to start.
But 4.0 includes only 7 tests, as opposed to 9 tests in 3.1. So perhaps the whole test might take you less time than if you start in 3.1.
If you start testing in 3.1 then you have until July 2009 to finish. Whether that's enough time seems to be a personal decision. Many people are outraged that they might have to re-take certain tests if they don't finish by 3.1, and feel that because of their own test-taking skills, their professional and family commitments, and other issues that this 2-year period is too short.
But many of us took all 9 tests over a period of 6 or 7 months and found that easily do-able for ourselves. There are people who have completed all nine tests in just a couple months. So it's all up to you.

Apr 16, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

when does v4 testing start May 08 ?

my last year of experience necessary is up in July so i could theoretically start testing then. I'll need to weigh my options as I hear more and the time eats away.

Apr 16, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

It starts in July of 2008. There's one year of overlap between the two versions. So if you don't start testing before May of 2008 then you have to wait until July and start testing in 4.0. But if you take at least one test in 3.1 before May 2008 then you may keep testing in 3.1 until July of 2009.

Apr 16, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Correction (from my information) is that you MUST past at least ONE exam under the current system (ARE v3.1) to be considered part of the "old" system, when the new system kicks in (June 08).

Thus, if you start anytime this year, and you pass at least 1, then you are good to go, however, as stated above by needle, if you can't finish by july 09 because of "life" then.....well who knows how they are going to decipher who has to re-take what and when!

That's going to be another issue with your state's NCARB.

Apr 16, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Check this out for additional (potential) questions:

NCARB-WhatsDifferent

Apr 16, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

There's a chart on ncarb's website that shows which tests you'd have to take in 4.0 if you don't successfully complete certain tests in 3.1. For the most part there are one to one equivalent exams in 4.0. However, because the vignettes from the graphic exams are now being spread throughout the multiple choice content in 4.0, if you don't pass BT or SP in 3.1 you'd be required to take 4 tests in 4.0 to account for BT, and two tests for SP. So this could entail some "retakes" - which is where all the outcry is coming from. Also, since both structures exams are being combined, if you only pass GS or LF in 3.1, but not both, then you'd have to take the combined structures exam in 4.0, so that would also entail some repetition.

Apr 16, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Thank god I done with the ARE! I remeber how much I thought it sucked when they implemented the rolling clock

Apr 16, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

As i understood, under IDP, you still can take all of the AREs but not the oral exam until the completion of IDP, as stated by CAB.

Apr 17, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

well congrats to you Studio43........it does suck and I am in the middle of this shiet. I can't wait till when(and hopefully if) I get done with these dumb tests.

Apr 17, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Yes, it sucks and yes, life does get in the way. However, I've got 2 years to finish up 5 tests. That's over 4 months per exam. At first I was outraged, but it does provide some much needed motivation.

Apr 17, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I have only casually begun studying but I'd like to try to pass one under 3.1 before the cut off date - which has now been moved back to April 30 - so that I can continue under 3.1. I figure if I schedule my first exam on or about April 1, I will have a month to study and I'll make it in before the April 30 deadline. Am I crazy? Should I just wait til June and go with 4.0?

Feb 29, 08 8:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm waiting for 4.0 since I won't have all my paperwork or the LARE's wrapped up sooner.

Feb 29, 08 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i got a letter today that says the 4.0 5 year clock just started rolling for me

Feb 29, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

4arch: a month is plenty of time to study.
Some of the easier exams to study for are MM (because the material is closest to what most people took in some course(s) in school) and CD (because it has the most limited and specific body of information.)
The graphics exams are also good choices, because they require very little book-study - Prof. Dorf's "Solutions" book is the ONLY thing you should study for them - and just need a good amount of practice with the NCARB software.

My concern would be scheduling an exam at this point. If you're shooting for April 1 then schedule NOW! It can depend a lot of where you are - because in some areas test centers are booked up more solidly most of the time - but in my experience I usually had to schedule about a month in advance to get a time slot, especially for the longer exams, like Building Technology and Building Planning.

Feb 29, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I've found that I schedule 1 month out...procrastinate for the next two weeks...then dig out the study material and glance at it....get serious about studying one week out....cram the night before.

So far haven't failed one. Just two to go.

Feb 29, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Take Mechanical & Electrical systems first. Get that bitch out of the way and it's downhill from there.

Feb 29, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: