Archinect
anchor

it leaks - we have a winner

It is reported that Frank Lloyd Wright once said, how else would you know its a roof if it didn't leak

Apparently after the record snowfall in Denver the Art Museum is leaking

Or is this the awful price to pay for starchitecture

Apr 16, 07 11:43 am
Apurimac

true that.

Apr 16, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
raj

i assume he was not the arch of record...which means they are the ones that did not properly detail the roof.

Apr 16, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
binary

thats why i dont like exterior projects/additions

b

Apr 16, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

this is what happens when architects arent aware of the conditions of a site...put the Jewish museum in Denver; dont worry about the snow

Apr 16, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

at least Libeskind has cool glasses

Apr 16, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

try this one for size then

Apr 16, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

I respect the problem though 2 ft of snow is not normal, although I suspect with the odd shapes all of that was crowded in the valleys

Apr 16, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

i think it snows in berlin, too... they just know how to detail over there.

Apr 16, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ze germans know how put together a building!

Apr 16, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

2' of snow not normal???? I was snowboarding yesterday and we got a foot of snow

Apr 16, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

do you practice? Leaking roofs are not options...that's why there are things as defects periods - contractors should build the bloody things correctly

Apr 16, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

There are about a half dozen 20 gallon trashcans scattered around Gehry's EMP here in Seattle. I don't think they were in the CDs...

Apr 16, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
e

i was thinking the same thing dml.

Apr 16, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

yes, let's not be too hasty....most leaks are in fact due to faulty installation and not the detailing....actually, architects have more perhaps more incentive to detail a non-leaking roof for fear of litigation. contractors aren't afraid of that as much, since their 'expertise' is almost always taken above the architect's (no?)....

Apr 16, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
some dudes actually have to strap on harnesses and build the darn thing.

I thought it was girls who use strap-o...oh, wait, never mind....

Every roof leaks under certain conditions. j and architechno are right - there should be a warranty period, and one would hope that when the roof is covering a multi-bazillion dollar art collection every party involved would be extra careful to get design and installation right.

I'd love to Libeskind bash as I dislike this building, but I doubt the specifics of his design had anything significant to do with these leaks.

Apr 16, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

liberty bell get the garwondLer off your mind!!! hell the other day our lobby had this slow chinese water torture kind of leak goin on. it was enough to make me confess!

Apr 16, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

when I was on my cleanse, I was a little leaky

Apr 16, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

which side?

Apr 16, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

backside

Apr 16, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

this is disgusting, but if you wore the garwondler in reverse you could use that trunk to some advantage in the accuracy department.

Apr 16, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i should've said disgusting.

Apr 16, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the staples center is leaking right now during a game

Jan 27, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

free shower

Jan 27, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: