Archinect
anchor

YOUR STUDIO

shift

Tell us about your studio!
Fill out the profile below and attach a picture or two of your studio (or wherever you make your architecture magic).

We're doing a study on the home studios of the students in the BA Architecture Studies program at the University of Toronto in the undergrad architecture publication, Shift. We want to see the studios of architecture students and professionals elsewhere for comparison.
Thanks! (http://www.baass.info/shift.html)

--------------------------
Pick one:
.undergraduate student
.graduate student
.professional
On or Off campus? (students)

- Briefly describe your workspace.
- Approximate dimensions?
- How many rulers?
- How many knives?
- How many types of glue?
- Do you share your space or tools with anyone else?
- Do you interact with other students while you work?
- Is your work space exclusively for studio work? (or is it your living/dining/bedroom?)
- What music do you listen to while you work?
- All Nighters:
How many per year? (for architecture)
Do you sleep in your studio?
- Approximate commute time to class? (feel free to include any commute stories/disasters)

Apr 16, 07 1:22 am
Apurimac

this is my studio:

my school is too 'hood for fancy shit like proper studio space, so i bum around between school and dorm with all my gear and i keep some materials hidden in both places.

Apr 16, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i am going to contibute to this ridiculous survey only because i think it may be interesting to see other stunts' answers. normally i would make random comments as to taking advantage of archinector's time and whatnot and how this type of thing is bullshit, anyhow here goes:

_undergrad.
_live off campus. this is atlanta.
_an organized chaos of layers of boards and models hanging anywhere i can, a computer and a drafting table. model crap under my desk, on top of my desk, on the desk beside me and the desk across from it. smelly resin oosing out of its container.
_6X6 (feet)
_three on my desk. one or two in a box.
_knives? none. exactos: 2
_3
_just share the shop and power tools.
_definitely. we have a dart board about 15 ft from me.
_work and playing on archinect.
_alternative, indie, rock, classical, r&b
_i dont really pull "all nighters" i have arranged my schedule so that i go to bed around 5 or 6 am, but dont wake up till 12 or 1pm. so..
_i do not sleep in the studio. only in classes.
_15 minutes. mostly. like i said. atlanta. they shut down 75 the other day and it took me an hour and a half. fuggin bastards over turned tractor trailors. learn how to drive your shit.

good enough?

Apr 16, 07 1:44 am  · 
 · 
shift

any idea why i couldnt see the pic?

no, our school wont help us out either. we have people riding public transit for hours with their models only to have it blown away and broken by the wind the day of the final review. and working in a 10x20 dorm room isnt always comfortable... but we make do. what school are you at?

Apr 16, 07 1:45 am  · 
 · 
shift

yeah thanks!

Apr 16, 07 1:47 am  · 
 · 

afraid your model will break intransit? Make it stronger | at the studio | or don't bitch...

Apr 16, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

HAHA. The old "subway at rush hour integrity test". It can be a pain in the ass if you have delicate diagramtic/parti models though.

Apr 16, 07 2:06 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh shift, im at NY tech, manhattan

Apr 16, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 
bucku

wow that was hard core arhcit, though i did have some drawings blown off of a board in first year only to land in the mud. good stuff.

Apr 16, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 
orion

1st yr studio GSAPP
and yes that is a (unfinished) physical model on my desk.

all nighters so far this semester 13
commute 10-15 minute walk
sleeping in studio is unintentional
number of smoke breaks: countless

Apr 16, 07 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i thought that building looked familiar

I dunno, i've got a sweet spot for columbia. Maybe its because half of my profs attended grad school there.

Apr 16, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i like the look of that mdel thus far orion. good luck.

Apr 16, 07 2:43 am  · 
 · 
shift

looks like some healthy chaos. any more home studios? drafting tables in professional offices or is that too old school?

Apr 17, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
planX

Of course drafting tables are not too old school!! I draw by hand almost everyday in my office!

Apr 26, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

where you at planX? Always great to hear architects keeping it flexible in their offices.

Apr 26, 07 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

go to target buy a broom.

Apr 26, 07 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
planX

I will go to an antique store, vado

Apr 27, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Regardless, smoking is still stupid.

Apr 27, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

for the price of college these days you should get your own studio ala mfa students.

Apr 27, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 

you're so wrong, j.

i did a lot of all nighters and sleeping in studio in undergrad but, by the time i finally decided to do grad school, had become a much better time manager. no all nighters, slept at home next to my wife every night. working hard and managing your time effectively can go hand in hand. fogey didn't criticize hard work.

what does that have to do with money/rich parents?

Apr 27, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
mdler

my studio smelled funny

Apr 27, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
orion

I would have to totally agree on both your responses Steven and Oldfogey

however, i do manage my time well, its just how I choose to do it that counts. I tend to work better later at night IE after 10pm and on strings, so working a regular work day tends not be as productive. The point being, when I am on I am on, so why not keep working and get whatever creative spurt I am having ride. I understand this seems some what counter intuitive but hell like you said I am graduate student so whats it really matter. I figure what works for some people doesn't for others. I know lots of people are the same way and just as many that think we're all nuts. Yet, in the end we're all happy with the work and projects we finished. I mean in academia why should it matter how someone works as long as it gets accomplished.

as for smoking...well I enjoy it and its really nice that some mysterious person behind a fictitious alias on a blog cares, but clearly I don't. thanks anyways.

FYI the city of new york is handing out free nicotine patches until may 15th.

Apr 27, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

thought I'd post old images of my studio from last semester at WashU

Apr 28, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

First year grad
I was fortunate enough to have a corner space with a window view. I sometimes nap behind the structural column where that chair is and no one can really see me.

Commuting to class takes about twenty minutes by car. I stalled once in the middle of an intersection while driving home 4 in the morning.

Apr 28, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I'll side with Tumbleweed and Old Fogey on this one but all nighters doesn't make your projects better or shows any sign of greater abilities, shows lack of judgement. School is more about execution of an idea into a form rather how long you can go without sleep. Sorry people but work smart, quality is always better than dumb drawings that don't help to explain an idea.

Apr 30, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

this is where the magic happens...

Apr 30, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hi tumbles;)

Apr 30, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

i agree j. i worked like twenty hours a week (at least) each first semester. even during finals and pinups i tried to work at least 10. this year i said eff it. it got so redundant and more and more problematic.
the semester that i didnt work, i was able to spend far more time in studio during the day and not have to worry about getting to bed early that night either.
money is money. it may not buy happiness but it sure does make architecture school easier.

Apr 30, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
e

hmm, i see both sides of the arguement. i also had to work several jobs while in school which led to many overnighters so i can understand what ppl are saying about supporting yourself while in school.

i also know that i would have worked a lot smarter and probably not as long if i had not stayed up night after night. i can't even begin to count the number of times i sat there for hours trying to solve a problem with my project only to give up and go home to sleep. upon returning the next morning, the solution usually came within the half hour. sleep is essential to a good mind.

Apr 30, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Apr 30, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
zapagap

wow. that gsapp studio is grim. i just finished my junior year (undergrad) at penn and our desk space is pretty big compared to that.

May 1, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Actually I noticed the people who had to work their way through school pulling fewer all-nighters, not more. We had our priorities and time management down, and yeah, had to actually be alert for our jobs the next day.

May 1, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

rationalist...where did you go to school? Just curious...

May 1, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

USC

May 1, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

ether, i'm likin' your shop.

May 1, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
ether

thanks apurimac. the first photo is of the arch woodshop (5 second walk from my desk) and as you can see was in pretty bad shape when that photo was taken. the second image is of my actual studio space. some more random shots in and around my studio here.

May 1, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
brut

Before the stress....

May 3, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: