Archinect
anchor

home depot receipts

binary

why the hell do they have to be 8" long when i buy 3 damn items...wtf....and no...i'm not calling the damn 1.800 number or loggin' in to see if i won 1000 bones...

b

Apr 11, 07 10:48 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 15 Comments

mdler

for me, its genetic

Apr 12, 07 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

for us the big receipts have meant that we're less likely to lose them and they're more likely to make it into our 'house receipts' folder so that we'll have them in the future when we need them for tax purposes.

the thing that DOESN'T help is that some of the home depot stores are still using thermal paper so in 5 yrs the writing has all but disappeared.

Apr 12, 07 6:58 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I think they should have to publish and post the winners of the people who make the effort to submitt their energy and time for
the 1,000 bones...

Apr 12, 07 7:23 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

I bought a 33-cent box of marshmallow peeps at Rite-Aid and got a foot-long receipt.

Apr 12, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 
binary

i wonder if anyone really won or if it's just a marketing scam to get your contact numbers/etc....

i agree on the fading of the ink and the fact that i wont loose them due to length..... but when you have about 200 of them and they are all folded 5 times to fit in your pocket........then try to find the total purchase cost which is only 1/4 of the way down...

b

Apr 12, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 

b I have that problem when it comes to rebates...the bloody things fade, and you had it to the cashier and they wonder what on earth you are handing them. It makes everyone afraid to return to the stores to collect their money because they have this useless piece of paper

Apr 12, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

it seems like if you're predisposed to saving receipts (or have to for work), you'll save the receipt whether its 2" or 20" long. spot on with the fading though. you have one of those things in your wallet for more than three weeks, good luck ever reading it again.

i'm so sick of big box. lately everytime i walk into a lowes or a home depot i feel dirty. i'm trying to make a point of buying local even if it costs a few extra bones.

buy detroit (or louisville or chicago or la or nyc)!

Apr 12, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Understood, jafidler. The local Ace Hardware store is (of course) a chain, but it's so *not* a big box. The people are helpful and knowledgeable, and yeah...I don't feel dirty after I leave.

Apr 12, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I used to work at an Ace Hardware, lb, and if you knew half of the shit I pulled there, you would definately feel dirty after you left.

Apr 12, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 

i used to work at a very local builder's supply/hardware store, 3 yrs in high school, that was subsequently bought by ace. ace sucks.

having the background i do, of course i hate the idea of shopping at the chain stores. but as an actively renovating homeowner with very limited funds, i've had to accept home depot and lowe's as a regrettable part of my life. maybe i'm lazy in having folded under, but keith's hardware and horton's hardware (both within walking distance) simply can't do what i need for $$$ i can afford. it's not a matter of saving a buck but one of making the project viable.

Apr 12, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
charlatan

Do you have a larger contractor supply / lumber yard in your area? A lot of people are scared off by the dinginess and "contractor boys club" nature of places like that, but they often offer better prices on things like lumber and millwork, and the staff are most often more knowledgeable than anyone you'll ever find at a Home Depot or Lowe's. Most of them have their own custom door / window / millwork shops as well. They can be great places for more knowledgeable homeowners, such as yourselves.

Apr 12, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

I know exactly what you're talking about and feel your pain, more-so when I go through and try to log expenses and can't find the date on the damn receipt.

Apr 12, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
binary

also with the fade ink on receipts, you cant return shit after a few months even though you might have 1 year or something.... it's a catch... if they cant read the receipt, they cant return it....so, make the ink dissapear... i think the big stores have that idea down...

ace paints/epoxies/glues dont work for shit compared to the other better name items......

b

Apr 12, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

make all depot purchases with a credit card, because if you do thats all you need to make the return/exchange.

Apr 12, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

sadly, for me buying local IS home depot. my rear property line abuts their parking lot.

it's certainly convenient though...especially when one of their numbnuts employees gives me bad advice and i have to exchange something.

ps - if you love to keep thermal paper receipts, be sure to make photocopies.

Apr 12, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: