Archinect
anchor

Age upon Graduation

Enigmatic Mind

How old were you, when you received ur Arch. Bachelor's degree.

Apr 9, 07 1:53 pm
lletdownl

Apr 9, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

23 barchelor of arts

27 (now) m.arch

I spend a lot of time doing nothing. I worked as an insurance adjuster at a university hospital after undergrad, and a whole pointless year studying abroad and accrued six total credit hours out of it.

Apr 9, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

will have just turned 22.

Apr 9, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

I finished a second BA at 27, and M.Arch at 30

Apr 9, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Apr 9, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

26, almost 27.

Apr 9, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

I think I asked this already....sry for that......just thinking I will be 27 when I get a bachelors in arch., because my university requires me to take the 5yr degree in it's entirety, I thought once you tranferred from a school, you would have like three years left to go....guess not....hope I can get through it.

Apr 9, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
n_

with my plan (that is subject to change at any given second), i'll graduate with m.arch when i'm 29.

Apr 9, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

25 BS Arch, 27 M.Arch

Apr 9, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

b.arch. - 21
m.arch - 25

Apr 9, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

enigmatic mind: if you're closer to graduating at whatever school you're at now, have you considered just finishing up and going on to an M.Arch program somewhere? You'd probably finish even a 3.5 year M.Arch before your finish the 5-year program that you're considering transferring to!

Apr 9, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

What I meant was I was coming from a college that I just finished my basics, I really want a profession in Architecture, but when I found out I would still have to take 5 yrs to complete the bach. degree after coming out of a college with finishing all my basics and electives...it stumped me.....So I guess I will only be taking like three or two classes for arch during the 5yr course each semester, since no basics will be needed??? Sound right?? sounds stupid to me, what a waste of time that could be used to take as much classes as possible...oh well.

Apr 9, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

I'm assuming that enigmatic is already in some type of architecture undergrad program (which is why she or he assumed that entry into the 3rd year or so of a B.Arch program might be possible). So my guess was that this is someone who is currently somewhere around the 3rd year of either a B.Arch program or a 4-year non-professional studio-based architecture major. In either case he or she could go on to an M.Arch program and end up with two degrees in as shorter time than starting over in a 5-year program - and presumably get a pretty good architectural education over the course of those two degrees...

Apr 9, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

sorry needlebeam, I wish what you said was true for me...but alas I am farther away than I think.....but what you said sounds logical.

Apr 9, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

Enigmatic: in a 5-year B.Arch as many as half your credits can be in studio alone. Most 5-year students take no more than 1 or 2 non-architecture courses per semester. So if you've not been in an architecture program so far then most of your time will be taken up with architecture studios and support courses.

As for the idea that a 3.5-year M.Arch wouldn't be equivalent to the B.Arch: the NAAB accreditation requirements are identical. The M.Arch program typically includes more architecture credits in a shorter period of time by making studios longer and more days per week (M.Arch studios at various schools are anywhere from 6 to 12 credits per semester while B.Arch studios are usually in the 3 to 9 credit range.) Most M.Arch programs include more course offerings in things like Project Management and Economics. Most B.Arch programs assume that that the student is taking 3 to 6 credits per semester of outside liberal arts coursework.

Apr 9, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

Thanks...that clears up my question....I'll take it in strides, I will be starting this fall at the university.....So I guess my semesters won't be a waste..even thoug it will take me some extra time...I'll have to factor in the M.Arch course equivalancy...sounds more challenging in a matter of less time. thanks for ur help!

Apr 9, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

Tumbleweed - the 5 yr degree sounds appealing to me....I was just trying to factor in some experience time after I finish the degree....since I'll be around 27...it kinda makes me feel old...but aside from that....I probably will take the 5 yr route...but it''s nice to know I do have other options.

Apr 9, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

Thanks for your help tumblweed...I will factor that in....you seem to have a great knowledge on Arch. I have to attend a public university - UofH - the Gerald D. Hines School of Architecture....hope it's a good school???

Apr 9, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

23 Y.O. 5-Year B. Arch. Prof. degree

Apr 9, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I was 23 when I finished my 5-year BArch. That was straight from HS through a solid 5 years of college and out the door into the real world.

Where I was at, a good half of us were on the same path as me, and the other half were older and somehow wandered into the arch program from elsewhere. Something to note is that many of the younger students dropped out and went down different paths. The older students were for the most part better students and hung in there longer. More invested I guess and less likey to party like a student that just got away from mom & dad. I loved being a young college student and will admit it probably affected my quality of work in studio slightly. That doesn't say there weren't any exceptional students in their early 20's or lazy students in their 30's.

Apr 9, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Mc Taco

Apr 9, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

29- m.arch, probably the oldest in my class

Apr 9, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
toms

i will be graduating in a month at 21! then out into the world for a couple years before M.Arch

Apr 9, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

23 - bs arch

25 - m arch

Apr 9, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jbond

At A&M we have a 60something year old lady getting a BED (Bachelor's in Environmental Design). Get busy living or get busy dying, I guess.

Apr 9, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

25 - b.arch

Apr 9, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
some person

21 BSAS (and got married two weeks later)

23 M.Arch

Apr 9, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

23 B.Arch

Apr 9, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 

24 B.Arch

probably close to 28-30 for my masters if things go as planned

Apr 9, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

24 M.Arch
21 BAAS

turn 30 on thursday

Apr 9, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

il be aiming at 25 for M.Arch (there are plenty of people in their late twenties here and a couple in their 30s)

Apr 9, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
alwyzonthedl

22 M.Arch

Apr 10, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

BFA Industrial Design: 21
MArch: 33 or 31, depending where I choose to go

I am 27 now.

Apr 10, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

25 B. Arch

Apr 10, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
cmu268

im 23(actually receiving my B.ARCH this semester, i did thesis last year though)

Apr 10, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

22 bs arch.

depending on what happens...

27 m. arch

Apr 10, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

ok what about your age upon licensure.....

Apr 10, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

... perhaps in a new thread?!

Apr 10, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

23 barch

27 licensure, oh yes, it will be done.

Apr 10, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

barch- 24 - worked a year, part time a year. Lic. 29

Apr 10, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

32 BA Interior design
37 M. arch
40 retire

Apr 10, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
tako

25 B. Arch, took a year off

Apr 10, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

B Arch, 23, I couldn't have done it any faster. I was 18, right out of high school when I started and it took 5 years of 18-21 credits per semester, summers off.

Apr 10, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

oh, and license hopefully before 30, but it's not looking good.

Apr 10, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbleweed

I enjoy the 'fluff'...

I really enjoy the fluffers, however

Apr 12, 07 2:48 am  · 
 · 
runawaygirl

im 20...and im in 4th year.

so,21 when i graduate

Apr 12, 07 2:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: