Archinect
anchor

The Evolution of Architecture

Mark Anthony

I was driving back from school for this Easter weekend and I saw them… One right after the other... vinyl suburban wastelands... everywhere. My heart sank and I thought to myself, where has architecture gone?

I got into an older part of my town and I noticed that the houses were all different... unique. What ever happened to "I want to be an individual"? What ever happened to choice? When did architecture become a part of mass production?

When the assembly line came about, one of the only things to fail was the mass produced house (built in pieces and shipped off)... would it fail now? What does the future hold for our profession... Does America still have taste, or are we destined to design for only corporations and wealthy?

I apologize if there's already a thread about this, but I'm new here on archinect and don't know all of the previous threads. The last thing I want to do is beat a dead horse.

Apr 8, 07 1:54 am
Apurimac

i think we've all been ranting about suburbia on archinect for as long as i've been lurking this forum. I have no clue how we are gonna ressurect design in this country. Every time i go home to Atlanta and the suburbs and see all those vast tracts of forests destroyed to build more McMansions my heart truly does sink. It seriously makes me want to stay in New York forever or get out of the country. But that is just running away from the problem, so every time i go home i try to (non-condecendingly) spread the gospel of good design hoping that by educating the masses the Glorius Architects Peoples Revolution will one day take place.

Apr 8, 07 3:03 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I saw an old image of brooklyn brownstones recently after they'd been built. whatever your taste, hard to argue we don't all admire they're ability to fulfill a responsible role in the neighborhood and city right?
They looked far more cookie cutter similar than most things I see in the suburbs.
Thing is, time changes buildings and neighborhoods. Now they're wonderfully unique because they've had hosts of inhabitants through the years adding touches, quirky little touches.
IF our suburbs last 100 years, which I highly doubt they will given economic patterns and assumedly shoddy construction, than I bet they'll be just a nicely quirky and individual as anything else.

shit, i'd go on but I just remembered my car needs to be moved from it's spot or i'll get a ticket.

Apr 8, 07 3:13 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

try building something "individual" in a historic neighborhood. good luck chuck. and manufactured housing is alive and well only it don't look like a craig elwood case study house.

Apr 8, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: