Archinect
anchor

Best/Worst Transit Stops in your Experience

vorx

Hi, I am working on a project that looks at urban design around transit stops (bus/tram). I am currently collecting examples of great and horrible stop around the world. I know there must be some fascinating examples around the world that I will never come across unless it is with your help; so I very much appreciate your input.

If you can think of some great stops from your daily travels…
1) Please tell me why (Design? Integration with surrounding land use? Excellent information? Innovative safety mechanism? etcetc)
2) Please include a google streetview link so I can check it out myself or a picture if you already have one

For example, one of my favourites is eugensplatz station in Stuttgart, which is very well integrated with the adjacent park
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=eugensplatz&hl=en&ll=48.777618,9.190294&spn=0.001525,0.002411&hq=eugensplatz&radius=15000&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=48.777787,9.190374&panoid=D0V6OseG_TcqAgi5Big9_Q&cbp=12,325.86,,0,-3.2

Thank you very much.

Aug 13, 12 7:59 pm
zonker

Colma Bart station - you sit outside waiting for you bus in cold wind and fog - there is no shelter - there is poor connection from Bus to Rail - if your bus is late like mine always is, you have to run and jump over the turnstyles and  run down stairs to jump into the train before "the doors are closing" 

Aug 13, 12 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Seattle - 3rd Ave between Pike and Pine. There is a McDonalds, check cashing place, smoke shop, and 'urban wear' shop on the block. It is also in the Seattle ride free zone. This becomes a place for people to buy, sell, and smoke their crack, etc...

Aug 13, 12 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I generally like German Hauptbahnhofs (main train stations, in particular Munich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Ulm)  as they often have a fair amount of retail, spills out into a multi-modal transit hub that is pedestrian friendly and also anchors one end of the main pedestrian commercial corridor, leading to a central plaza (usually the main church plaza).

I also enjoyed the minneapolis lightrail stations - each one is different and tries to play up the local highlights in an artistic manner.

Aug 14, 12 11:59 am  · 
 · 

I second the stop that mdler mentioned

Aug 14, 12 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

The Damen Ave Blue line station on the Chicago EL  The platform spans a very interesting intersection of three streets, has views of the down town skyline and is the box seats to the urban street life dramas taking place below.  It is not a modern station or accessible but it is nestled into the urban fabric and the views from the platform are dramatic. The station cuts diagonally across two major thoroughfares Damen and North Avenue and you can watch TV in the adjoining apartment if you chose to linger on the landing. The connection to the street is awesome and gives something interesting to look at while your train approaches.

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/damen-ohare.html

Aug 15, 12 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
vorx

Thanks the responses guys, really helpful.

Peter, what a coincidence, I was just in Chicago for the first time last week and just happened to be at the station for something. I took a picture at the time thinking it was really interesting, so its really good to get the extra information you have on it!

Aug 16, 12 6:12 am  · 
 · 

all-time favorite: the karlsplatz station by wagner in vienna, sharing the karlsplatz with the karlskirche. an amazing little jewel in an amazing urban space: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsplatz_Stadtbahn_Station

would-be all-time favorite, if i could visit it: the never-functioning city hall station in lower manhattan. 

for less rockstar level but very very good transit experience though: the light rail stations along norfolk va's new line are very well-considered, varied, and make the most of the unique situation around each stop. really a good system, albeit small (so far). 

Aug 16, 12 8:39 am  · 
 · 

i also remember really enjoying the elevated station just off of the alexanderplatz in berlin in 1990. it wasn't just a train station: doubled as an impromptu disco!   

Aug 16, 12 8:41 am  · 
 · 

http://goo.gl/maps/J3b3a

Typical bus stop in my former neck-of-the-woods.

Aug 16, 12 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

steven, did greg lynn do a thing at your vienna station?  it looks familiar but i'm afraid my mind could be getting fuzzy in my old age

Aug 16, 12 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the Harry Weese designed DC Metro is beautiful

Aug 16, 12 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: