mfrech

Who dares challenge this proclamation?

Apr 1, 07 1:59 am
1deviantC

your'e drunk...j/k so am i!

Apr 1, 07 3:15 am  · 
 · 
manamana

No.... Oban is the balls. so is Talisker.

Apr 1, 07 4:29 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i have to disagree, Jameson is piss.

Apr 1, 07 5:19 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Jameson is the Walmart of whiskey

Apr 1, 07 6:16 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i've tried laphroaig and it tasted too smokey...don't know about jameson. doesn't sound too good according to the other guys

Apr 1, 07 6:22 am  · 
 · 
mdler

dammson

did you and Kristin_Kai go out tonight?

Apr 1, 07 6:32 am  · 
 · 

who cares about whiskey? kentucky bourbon!

Apr 1, 07 7:14 am  · 
 · 
db

1st, let's point out that Jameson's is an Irish Whisky, so comparisons above to Scotch Whisky and Bourbon are a bit off target -- not quite apples and oranges, but kinda like the difference between peaches and nectarines.

That said, I prefer Bushmill's Black Bush to Jameson. Or Middleton's if I'm really splurging.

as for Scotch, the Macallan (18 or older please)

Bourbon -- Maker's Mark or Knob Creek

Apr 1, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
tman

I havent posted in months but when I saw this I had to "high-five" mfrech for the jameson remark. However I'm a Maker's Mark man myself.

Apr 1, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

thanks tman, and i have to appreciate maker's mark due to the goofy wax that's on the tops of their bottles. what's up with that?

Apr 1, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I love my Basil Hayden's. But I've also got a big bottle - wax seal intact, mfrech, and I love its goofiness! - that a contractor gave me for Christmas. I'm waiting to open it until we resolve the final billing dispute in which he and the homeowner are currently engaged. Been a difficult project for all.

Apr 1, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
postal

mmmm... Jameson... plenty of that going around tomorrow for ChiSox O-day! alas, i'm stuck at work today...

Apr 1, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
mdler

lb

if you need someone to drinkl that stuff with, give me a call. If you are lucky, I may bring the trunk

Apr 1, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm going to second LB's Basil Hayden. Bourbon kick's irish whiskey any day! (scotch is a bit closer battle)

Apr 1, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
e

i just turned 40 last weekend. a group of my friends pitched in and got me a 22 year old bottle of port ellen. the distillery closed in 1983 so this is a nice gem.

my parents got me a 30 year old bottle of talisker. it is cask strength and there were only 3000 bottled in 2006. needless to say these bottles are only pulled out on special occassions.

jameson is a blended whiskey. blends are the budweiser of the whiskey industry.

Apr 1, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

I second the Bushmills

Apr 1, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

this sits in my buffet, pretty much untouched, but i am thinking of taking up collecting scotch and whiskey for occasions when peeps come over...that and cubans.

Apr 1, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
e

nice stourley.

Apr 1, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm coming over!

Apr 1, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I don't know shit about Whiskey! I only wish there were Wiskey tastings....similar to wine tastings. Hell that wouldn't help anyhow,
I just follow the Mrs....who knows everything about wine...and I tell the server....I'll have what she has. Friday night we went out to a wine tasting, and somehow we were separated, when we got back together she said, I did find a very nice wine, so I told her to take me to the vendor...and well after having a taste, I told her if you drank a bottle of this wine, one might think they had died and gone to heaven.....it was soooo smooth....ask me today if i know the
name of the wine....nada.....not at all.

Apr 1, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Is it considered a good thing or a bad thing to be "the balls" ? I am confused.

Apr 1, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

one of my local liquor store does have whiskey tastings on the weekend! they also have wine, beer, vodka, rum, and what ever else strikes their fancy available in small, small samples. no sidewaysesque spit buckets or real glassware, but plastic cups. still it's free!!!!

Apr 1, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

I third the Bushmills

Apr 1, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
upside

i've been to lads of whiskey tastings, using different names if they are at the same place of course. it can be interesting, they break down the blended whiskeys so you can taste the individual malts.

Apr 1, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
WhiskyFest Chicago - April 13th
Apr 1, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have been to resturants that have whiskey flights (3-5 different whiskeys) so you can taste the difference. Nicholsons in Cincinnati is one of the places. Have also been to Aquavit in NYC which has vodka flights.

If anyone is in LA and wants to go vodka tasting, let me know....

Apr 2, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 

if you fancy a whiskey taste but really feel no need to try anything but a bushmills, try a vintage rum I suggest Angasatora 1919. I think it might even be worth to test your "whisky-snobs" if they can tell the difference.

Apr 2, 07 12:22 am  · 
 · 
Starland Vocal Band

Is "the balls" anything like "the dogs' bollocks"?

Apr 2, 07 12:26 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Here's an excerpt from the blog of my scotch-snob friend, where he describes some of his favorite scotches.

The Balvenie, 12 year : light, smokey. The best scotch I have had in a regular bar/restaurant.

The Macallan, 12 year : similar to the Balvenie, with an oakiness to it. Probably the easiest "good stuff" to find in your typical bar.

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish : finished in barrels which were used to make port, this is the most floral scotch I have ever had. It is very elegant, and a good scotch to get your friends into who constantly say your scotch tastes like "rubbing alcohol."

Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish : This is finished in barrels used to make sherry. It is sweet, almost too sweet, but a good "dessert" scotch.

Glenmorangie Madeira Wood Finish : One of the best scotches I have ever experienced. Very deep, very smokey, very oaky. This is the one you bust out for important occasions.

Bunnahabhain 12 year : This one is a little less sweet than the Glenmorangie Sherry Finish, but is more palatable. It is an oddity given that island scotches are more peaty and oaky. This one makes scotch an easier sell to the uninitiated.

Bruichladdich 10 year : While this is one of my least favorite, it is still a decent scotch. Very briny and smells of beaches or the sea. It did require a little thimbleful of water to bring out the aromas, but it is still light years ahead of Johnny Walker on my list.

Bruichladdich 3D : This is by far the most peaty of all the scotches I have had. It tastes as though someone has set fire to peat and bottled the smoke. I had to make myself stop drinking it before I got stinking drunk. It's really, really, really, really excellent scotch!

Ardbeg 10 year : Once again, if someone could make an alcoholic liquid smoke, this would be it. Hints of iodine can leave a medicinal taste in some mouths, causing them to call it "rubbing alcohol". They are, of course, mistaken. It isn't rubbing alcohol. That's awesome you are tasting, sir. It burns the tongues of people who are not awesome like holy water burns vampires.

I've come to trust his judgement... Of the ones I've tasted, I'm a big fan of the Ardbeg 10-year and the Glenmorangie Madeira.
Apr 2, 07 12:32 am  · 
 · 
1st, let's point out that Jameson's is an Irish Whisky, so comparisons above to Scotch Whisky and Bourbon are a bit off target...

exactly. are you guys still talking about things OTHER than kentucky bourbon?!

Apr 2, 07 7:03 am  · 
 · 

Glenfiddich isn't too bad eitehr

Apr 2, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

nambypambics, I share in your confusion over the context of "the balls" in this thread. I will assume, in this situation, it refers to something that is good, similar to "the shit," and not to something that may taste like balls, or worse, sweaty balls, though I have never tasted either of these two myself.

Apr 2, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Steven, do you drink your bourbon straight, or don't you have to add stuff to it to make it palatable? I love my bourbon in a whiskey sour, but does that make it the balls because you gotta add something?

Apr 2, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
mfrech

you're correct, Chili...my understanding of 'the balls' is as a superlative...i apologize for the vagueness. i do not know if it takes on a different meaning within a whiskey context.

i am both excited and humbled to see the vast array of whiskey/scotch/bourbon connoiseurs within archinect!

Apr 2, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
jjh

i have had a few sips of Georgia Moonshine. it has a similar aftertaste of gasoline. i prefer a George Dickel ditch.

Apr 2, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Do you add stuff to make it palatable???? A glass

Apr 2, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

it comes in a glass bottle? i usually go with 2 parts dickel, 1 part water, a little ice and a glass - sometimes i forget to add water.

Apr 2, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the stuff is meant to be drunk straight...at least for the MDLER

Apr 2, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

You know how Irish whiskey came about right?

The stole a bottle from the Scottish and have just been watering that same bottle down ever since.

Apr 2, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

oh snap!

Apr 2, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

bourbon is nice in a flask...

lol, brer... you sure it wasn't cuz they just keep beating the shit out of every Scot they come across, pinching his bottle and slapping an Irish label on it?

Apr 2, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Bourbon with two ice cubes is my preference. I learned to like bourbon with Manhattans, but I'm over those.

Apr 2, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

no stuff added. though some ice chips are good sometimes.

don't really have a bourbon preference. i order 'em by mood.

Apr 2, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

Irish whiskey is meant to be had with a finger of water & ice...but no self respecting swish (drunk irish) would admit to that

some tho taste divine from the bottle...

Apr 3, 07 12:22 am  · 
 · 
FRO

I love a good bourbon. Preferably a Basil Hayden or Knob Creek, outside at night, maybe in a glass but maybe throw away the cap and pass it around like a joint!

Apr 3, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

it is even better when you chase it with a joint. i am partial to Buffalo Trace when drinking in this manner.

Apr 3, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

kristin_kai

you said you were going out somewhere in LA. That is all I heard..maybe Echo Park area...

next time you guys go out in LA, I need to know where ;(

Apr 3, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

no problem...

gotta love AAA

Apr 3, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

you gotta love em, but they love to make you wait around, especially if it's late or if you're in a bad neighborhood or in a hurry of some kind or otherwise massively inconvenienced. they rule.

Apr 3, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

kristin_kai

next time, call the MDLER

Apr 3, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: