Archinect
anchor

Jameson Irish Whiskey is the Balls.

WonderK

Sounds like something interesting happened in the City of Angels this weekend. Something interesting happened in the Queen City this weekend too, but we won't go into that, as it did not involve scotch, bourbon, or whiskey.....

I am partial to Scotch, single malt, straight, on ice, myself. Even though I hail from KY I am not a big bourbon drinker. I don't like horse racing either, so shoot me.

Apr 3, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

apparently the Japaneese make the best scotch...figure that one out

Apr 3, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
e

mdler, i'm sure you saw lost in translation. the suntory is delectable.

Apr 3, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

i'm a budget alcoholic, hence my regular preference for Aberlour 10...but if I feel like splurging I go for the Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 15...damn good scotch...damn good

if not a single malt scotch, I go for dark beers, and revel in the complexities of fine sake as well...

cheers

Apr 3, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
db

the more budget conscious (1deviantC) should go for the Johnny Walker Black, which is simply the best blended scotch around and a bargain at its price. I actually prefer it to lesser single-malts. Rumor has it that it's 60% Talisker. Whatever the blend, it's my goto scotch for places that don't have anything else. Quite fine regardless.

Apr 3, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

blechhhh...Johnny is soooo pedestrian...=), j/k...Johnny is a fine scotch...i dont go to bars to drink though, so I make up for it by buying scotch thats a wee bit nicer and drink it at home with good company...we should all get together and bring our alcohol of choice...and GET TANKED TOGETHER!

Apr 3, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

1deviantC

are you in LA?

Apr 3, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

yessir

Apr 3, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i like your idea...we should get a group of people together, get some good scotch/whiskey and go to town...

we could each bring a bottle or pitch in $$$ to buy a few bottles...

just a thought

Apr 3, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

obviously none of you have never tasted the sweet nectar of malt liquor.

Apr 3, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

that shit used to get me really fucked up in HS

Apr 3, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

*ever*

Apr 3, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the bumble-bee

Apr 3, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

speaking of high quality, delicious malt liquor...

...steel reserve, anyone?

Apr 3, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
db

mickey's in the small big-mouth version are the only way to go

chug-chug-chug

Apr 3, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Ahh, Steel Reserve...

In college Steel Reserve people showed up at our house (not a frat house, just a party house) unannounced and dropped off tons of free cases, posters and tee shirts for free.

Good times...

Apr 3, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

silverlake, you didn't go to college in heaven by any chance, did you?

Apr 3, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Just south of heaven - Ohio State...

Apr 3, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

*bump*

note: though it has been established that there are finer whiskeys/scotches/bourbons than Jameson, it bears repeating that ii just finished the handle of Jameson my younger brother gave me for Christmas. it's a night of hopeful mourning.

momentous for a thursday night, perhaps. kickass for me:? yes.

Apr 5, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
winifred
http://www.thepotstill.co.uk/default.htm

One of the many reasons I love Glasgow:

Apr 6, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

A Mickey's sounds perfect right now.

Apr 6, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

silverlake- what year were you at OSU?
I did my time in Ives Hall and escaped for Cali in 1994.

we should grab a round the next time I'm in LA.

Bottoms UP!

Apr 6, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
binary

colt 45.....

bty..i dont drink...but thinking about taking it up as a hobby

Apr 6, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I did my time in Ives from 99 to 02. But no one was asking me...

Apr 6, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

just south of heaven? i thought that was South Bend? who knew?

Apr 6, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

garpike, you'll be invited too.

Apr 6, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Excellent. We can talk Graf.

Apr 6, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

talking kipnis is more fun - I still have scars from my time in london.

Apr 6, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

treekiller - I was in Ives from '94-'99.

I'll definitely be up for a round...

kipnis, graf, maybe even gargus!...

Apr 6, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Gargus!

Apr 6, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdlerweed

this is what is going to be consumed this weekend...

Apr 22, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
James Meyer

a couple things...

e you seem to pick great whiskeys... but come on jameson is not blended... most of the irishmen I know would take that as an offense.

Irish whiskey is actually older than scotch.. its just the scotch are famous for the taste they give it by using peat to fire it instead of the smokeless irish pitch.

If your going to go for irish whiskey and don't want to invest in 18 year olds and etc. Go with a good ole Powers instead the typical bushmills or jameson...

Personally I just grab some bourbon and have a good time; Blanton's if I can afford it, otherwise Old Charter 10yr. gets me by

Apr 22, 07 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
e

rococco, jameson is a blend. the following link is from jameson's own site. note the last step in the process is blending: Casks are vatted together in order to create blended whiskey and this is then bottled to complete the whiskey production process.

Apr 23, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Maker Mark is my pref of whiskey/bourbon selections overall. Used to be a Jack Daniels boy until I shaved off the mullet and upgraded to the Makers.

Apr 23, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 

i'm enjoying all the talk of scotch and whiskey, but it would be downright unpatriotic of me to being sipping either one - especially this time of year! i had woodford reserve this weekend.

Apr 23, 07 11:24 am  · 
 · 
mm

First, let me start by saying that I far prefer bourbon to irish or scotch whisk(e)ys. Additionally, I love a good rye, too.

As far as blended irish whiskys go, I do rather like Powers.

And as how best to enjoy a bourbon, I like what Fred Noe, Jim Beam's distiller (and son of Booker Noe, after whom Booker's bourbon is named) told me: "There's no wrong way to drink bourbon. Ice, no ice, water, no water. It just doesn't matter. To drink bourbon, all you need is a glass and a mouth. And if you don't have a glass, I'm sure we can still find a way."

Apr 23, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
e

if anyone is interested, the scotch malt whisky society puts on some damn good tastings.

Apr 25, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdlerweed

I smell like knob creek this morning.

Apr 25, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
e

oh, and here is a link to their spring bottling list

Apr 25, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Tumbles

you feeling okay?

Apr 25, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdlerweed

eh, not so great.

Apr 25, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sorry:(

Apr 25, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdlerweed

at least its almost lunchtime... i'm starving, and looking foward to the car-nap

Apr 25, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

maybe go have some whisky at lunch.

Apr 25, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

that's a good point tumbles...with its mighty hydrating powers, beer is nearly an energy drink...for some of us.

Apr 25, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

beer provides me nutrition before yoga classes

Apr 25, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

there is a whiskey bar opening in downtown LA soon; Seven Grand. They have over 200 kinds of whiskey. Sounds like it may end up being the potential gathering place for the next LA Archinect meet-up???

May 1, 07 1:01 am  · 
 · 
KEG

...thought you Whiskey lovers might find this interesting.

In Pictures: World's Most Expensive Whiskies

From a $38,000 bottle of Macallan available only in drams to a $7,000 40-year-old Bowmore, these pricey Scotches are hard to find but, to the connoisseur, worth every penny.
By Pascale Le Draoulec (forbes)

Jun 27, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: