Archinect
anchor

Help! Tschumi's Parc de la Villette technical details

grid

After digging through countless magazines and books, I am turning to archinect for help with my research.

I need details of Tschumi's Parc de la Villette. I am focusing primarily on the tube steel construction of the follies - but any information is appreciated.

Some of the basic questions I need to answer are :
Are the construction documents or any form of technical drawings available?
Which parts of the structures were prefabricated and which were constructed (welded/bolted?) on site? Which parts were welded and which were bolted?
Exact sizes of tubing?
What type of welding was done (mig/tig?)?
Who were the engineers and contractors?

I would like to say thanks in advance to everyone. Any technical information or leads in the right direction are appreciated.

Mar 18, 07 6:38 pm
vado retro

why doncha go to the source? call up chew me's office and see if you can get the information.

Mar 18, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

there are several books talking about the design, but little technical info available. I recall it is mostly welded, don't remember too many bolts. those tubes are in the range of 8x8s but metric. yeah, ask chew me- though nobody in the office these days probably can recall mush.

sounds like a construction class case study!

Mar 18, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
grid

yeah, there is a ton of information about the theory and design behind the park, but little technical information. I'll get in touch with Tschumi's office and see what I can find. If anyone else has info please share.

Mar 18, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

is better to ask chew-me the contacts of the structural engineer/contractors... i doubt if they have ever look at Structural engineer shop drawings nor keep in the offices...you know, manhatten rent is quite high.

Mar 18, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
grid

I agree with trying to get in contact with the structural engineer, but I have not been able to find who the structural engineer is! That'll be something I will ask when I call Tschumi's office tomorrow.

Mar 18, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Are you going to knock this project off somewhere in China???

Mar 19, 07 2:43 am  · 
 · 
mdler

IF YOU CANT MAKE IT GOOD, MAKE IT BIG

IF YOU CANT MAKE IT BIG, MAKE IT RED

Mar 19, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 

mdler, did you go to tulane in the late 80s?!

Mar 19, 07 7:26 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

details on the parc de la villette?....i don't remember any of those when i was there....all pretty dumb basic stuff.

Mar 19, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
joe architect

I do know that the late Peter Rice from ARUP designed the most interesting details of the park, which included the undulating covered walkway that goes from one end of the park to the other. The book "Tschumi" by Thames & Hudson has the details. Also check Event City 2, I believe, but it might not have what you are looking for. Honestly, the theory behind La Villette is more important than the details, and if you are doing anything on it you should read Tschumi’s article “Six Concepts”.

Mar 19, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
flaviogarcia

TksJoe Architect and everybody !

See this nice video about Peter Rice.

He has a book that seems wonderful....

Jun 11, 22 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: