Archinect
anchor

Internships and grad schools question

Hyperion

Hi, I'm new here, and am a B.arch student entering the last year of my university's B.Arch program. My school follows a "4 + 2" program, in which students are encouraged to pursue a 2-year M.Arch immediately after finishing their 4-year B.Arch. The problem is that I'm still kind of daunted about the nature of the profession and am unsure if the kind of work I'll be doing is worth the "occupational turbulence" that comes with being a professional architect. For that reason, I'd like at least a little bit of on-the-job experience before going into grad school, whether as an internship or as a full-time employee, so I could have a little background to base that decision on.

This is further complicated by the fact that I had a great (and mostly free) study abroad opportunity come up that would take place for most of next summer, which would make starting a job right when I graduate in May somewhat difficult. So I guess my question is two-fold:

1.) Is it possible to begin a year-long internship in, say, August or September? Put another way, how do the hiring rates compare to more conventional summer-long/semester internships?

2.) Are employment prospects good for students only finished with the B.Arch portion of a 4+2 program? Or would I be better off going straight to grad school?

If all else fails, I can probably turn down the study abroad opportunity since getting some work experience is a priority for me. I currently don't have any real experience with a firm (beyond some tours and basic shadowing), but I do have some experience on a job site. I'm pretty competent with most of the major design software, and am currently using the summer to plus my portfolio to up my prospects.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Jul 26, 12 1:22 pm
sandhilldesign

Yes! work. It is eye opening and critical to understanding how to get the most out of grad school. Firms are always hiring interns. Especially at the end of the summer when summer interns headback to school.

As for finding work with a BA it all depends on where you live and how competitive. I would venture to say that there is always a need for young intern with some schooling. But its best to get out and talk to come profesionals in your area. Touch base with some local firms and ask them the question.

Jul 26, 12 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Wait... 4-year BArch? Is that a NAAB-accredited degree?

Jul 26, 12 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
sandhilldesign

No. Sorry for the confusion B.S.A.S  B. Science in Architectural studies. 8 studios, 2 structures classes, systems... etc.

Jul 26, 12 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Hyperion

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I was mistaken; my school actually offers 4-year B.S. in Arch. and 4-year B.A. in Arch., as well as a 2-year Masters program. Sorry for the confusion.

Jul 30, 12 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

I suggest working if you can find work, what jobs would be helpful in order of utility to becoming an architect

1 intern at an architecture firm

2 intern at an Engineering firm

3 Intern at a landscape architecture firm

4 Intern at an institutional grounds or sometimes referred to as physical plant department, colleges and universities, hospitals, nursing homes, large public school districts and other large institutions may have architecture staff and a planning department.

5 estimator assistant for a contractor

6 laborer for a building contractor

Use the time to earn as much money, IDP experience, and software as you can. Even at the hardware stores you can learn estimating software and have a better feel as to the actually cost of construction.

Peter N

Aug 1, 12 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: