Archinect
anchor

Yale Blows 07

cpnorris

have you been to yale before? what is a "boy's club" feel? and what does that have to do with what i said? all i was saying is that stern's architectural aesthetic has nothing to do with yale's philosophy. i'm not trying to instigate another argument or anything, its just that a lot of the comments on this thread seem completely unfounded.

Mar 19, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

how can I post an image?

Mar 19, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

there are codes at the bottom of this page. they are light grey and look like this:

Required code to post an image -

Mar 19, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

haha oops that didn't work

Mar 19, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

cpnorris....you're wrong
that's like saying a PM or President doesn't pursue they're own personal agendas when they take office

Mar 19, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

so you just say that I'm wrong? thats cool. how convincing. what is your basis for saying so?

Read this

What kind of personal agenda would a dean of an architecture school pursue? Forcing their own aesthetic into the school? Is that what you are saying? That is what starchitect studio instructors do, not a dean. dean's are completely detached from that. they bring in money and people to the school. that is their job.

Mar 19, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

My goodness cpnorris...do I have to spell it out for you

BRINGING IN THEIR OWN PEOPLE!

Stern has done a great job putting together a general year-to-year faculty that bows down to him, thus he has complete control over every decision that's made at the school...not a great place for free thought or diversity

Mar 19, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
link

Mar 19, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

good call 765

Mar 19, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
dia

So uzshef has come from being a person who knows little about Yale, even applied and supposedly declined an offer, and is now expousing a full-blown Stern conspiracy! What a buffoon!!

Mar 19, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

uzshef i am done with this thread. discussing yale with you has been like talking to a wall. you are clearly uniformed and have no idea what you are talking about in regards to yale or how an architecture school works. good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

Mar 19, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I always knew those Skull & Bones people were up to no good.

Mar 19, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF BEEF
link
Mar 20, 07 12:30 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

hahahahaha!! faster, that was a pretty funny way to tell us all that.

Mar 20, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yale blew my bear

Mar 20, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 

BEEF, classic one. great handle too.

Mar 20, 07 1:37 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I am getting my somoa's now. Thanks a lot mdler.

Mar 20, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

i heard yale is claiming to the father of anna nicole smith's child. could this be true?

Mar 20, 07 4:04 am  · 
 · 
para2

More Stern Questions………

Can I see your blackballed list?

If I want to get into Yale, should I just put together a portfolio of glassy bathrooms?

Can I see your massive cookie-cutter?

Mar 20, 07 7:59 am  · 
 · 
para2

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Dear god, no more Stern project images! My eyes…they burn!! Ahhhh!

Mar 20, 07 8:01 am  · 
 · 
uzshef

This is amazing! Anyone who puts out anything substantial about any subject is ridiculed and slammed! I don’t know that much about Yale, but I do know a thing or two about politics. All the inquiry emails I’ve gotten back say more or less the same thing “Stern’s way or the highway” which led me to make that previous claim. I can’t believe the crap and coincidence logic you guys spew out….should I just write about what kind of peas I like instead?

Mar 20, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Take it easy - I can't imagine a dean actually giving two shits about the exact namelist/attitude of the people admitted. Really.

Stern certainly wields power, but how he uses it is a question of personality, not architectural style. And the few Yale-related professors I've met (Koetter, E.Mitchell, Pelkonen) seem like their "own personalities" (an understatement...) - not like small-Sterns, so can't really see why all this rancor just because the dean is not liked.

And generally, if some people seem to think they are so important as to be the targets of personal vendettas by professors/exclusive boy's clubs, just grow up.

Mar 20, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Dedalus

Stern beats Mori in a cage match any day of the week.

Mar 20, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
para2

Robert AM Stern loves George Bush...enough said

Mar 20, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
kablakistan

I think Adres Duany came out of Princeton, actually.

Milk and I have the same favorite cookie.

Mar 20, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
para2

I found the troll!

his name is ortho..and he's pissed

Mar 20, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

My friend mailed me this very interesting article....
It sorted out and answered a lot of questions in my life
(both academic and non-academic)

Why cavemen liked curvy cavewomen...like Kylie
09/03/07

By Martin Evans

THERE are a few exceptions which will always stand out, but most female stars yearn for a diminutive derriere.

However, it appears that the small and slender bottom is very much a recent trend after an archaeological discovery revealed how Stone Age pin-ups were far from size zero.

Ancient carvings depicting the female form 15,000 years ago reveal that prehistoric women were revered for their curvaceous bodies and prominent buttocks.

The most popular were the cave-dwellers’ equivalents of Kylie Minogue (pictured), whose renowned behind is the world’s most popular posterior.

Historians claim that the carvings – found at a site in Poland – reveal how curvy bottoms were regarded as the most attractive physical trait for women in Stone Age Europe.

Men looking for a mate ignored skinnier women and fought for females with the shapeliest behinds.

Experts said a well-presented bottom was a sign of wealth, health and a good diet.

They also suggested she would be a successful mother, able to produce lots of children and sent out a message to other men that her partner was a strong and successful hunter – making him more attractive to other women.

Around 30 of the figurines were unearthed at the dig and archaeologists believe they would have been carried by the travelling hunters as items of decorative beauty to admire while they were away from home and their loved ones.

The flat carvings were fashioned out of flint, bone, ivory and tooth.

They depict the profile of women minus their heads – strongly suggesting that cavemen were more interested in the shape of the body than the way a female looked.

Romuald Schild, of the Polish Academy of Sciences, who led the dig, said: “The engravings and figurines adhere to a style depicting feminine silhouettes with over represented buttocks.”

The site of the discovery in central Poland is a known Late Magdalenian settlement. It has thrown up 10,000 archaeological finds since 1993.

It is thought the discovery is in an area where hunters gathered to relax and swap stories.

Other remains include a woolly rhinoceros, horse and Arctic fox. Animal teeth and tusks were used in jewellery, made by the hunters in their spare time.

They also found time to carve the figurines, which prove that behind every outstanding Stone Age woman was an outstanding behind !

Mar 21, 07 2:43 am  · 
 · 
para2

I see..interesting

Mar 21, 07 7:24 am  · 
 · 
para2

Is Stern a

(a) architect
(b) manager
(c) bullsh*t artist
(d) crybaby
(e) authoritarian leader
(f) new urbanist
(g) hasbeen
(h) all of the above

Mar 21, 07 7:28 am  · 
 · 
snooker

NEVERMORE: YOU NEED TO READ OSCAR NIEMEYERS AUTOBIOGRAPHY. HIS ARCHITECTURE SPEAKS WOMAN
OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I WOULD QUOTE A FEW THINGS
FROM IT BUT I LOANED MY COPY TO A YOUNG BRAILIAN/
AMERICAN THINKING ABOUT STUDYING ARCHITECTURE.

Mar 21, 07 7:35 am  · 
 · 

it's awfully early in the morning to have caps lock on, snooker.

Mar 21, 07 7:40 am  · 
 · 

oh, and, regarding para2's multiple choice:

like it or not, stern's way seems to be working. in the news: http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=54330_0_24_15_M

yale, and stern, are just a different choice than you would make. why can't that be enough for you?

Mar 21, 07 7:44 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Snooker, can u elaborate ?

and para2 but I still think Kylie is slightly overrated. what do u think ?

Mar 21, 07 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

begin the revolution
down with prestigious
schools, sucking us dry
of every penny we've
ever earned

Mar 21, 07 8:13 am  · 
 · 
uzshef

Steven Ward

I think that's a weak response

Mar 21, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

ah well. and i thought it seemed reasonable.

Mar 21, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

it's ok

Mar 21, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
para2

Whatever happened to Yale's Urban Design program?

hmmm.........

Mar 21, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

Kylie's a sheila, 'nuff said

Mar 21, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

para2

did the school ever have an urban design program?

Mar 21, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

uzshef: Where the heck is Yale located anyhow? For that matter where the heck is GSD located?

Mar 21, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF BEEF

hey uzshef ... there are plenty of reliable internet search engines, such as Google and Yahoo! that may have the answers to your questions. Or maybe you can email para2 -- she seems to have the answers to all your questions.

I love how over half of this thread is a call-and-reponse pas deux between para2 and uzshef. Perhaps they are each other's butt-mates.

Mar 21, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

It's a good way for para/uzshef to deal with two sides of the personality, like an Anima/Animus kind of thing, very Jungian.

This kind of inner dialogue and role playing can actually be very therapeutic.

Please, don't let us stop you, go on talking to yourself.

Mar 21, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

Once again you're all paranoid
I can't communicate with certain people either?
fine, I'll just stick to emailing people

snooker, beef, 765, get a life

Mar 21, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

uzshef, u pls email Kylie also on my behalf.Pls give her my regards.

Mar 22, 07 5:13 am  · 
 · 
para2

Burn the witch!

uzshef, dedalus, phil, kablak, helsinki, ortho; they're all my agents
whahahah!

fly my pretties! ;-)

Nope, its just lil ol me...givin' Stern heartburn

By the way.......Kylie is highly overrated and has never broken into the a-list category................just like Stern ;-).

Mar 22, 07 7:16 am  · 
 · 

i can't imagine you're giving stern heartburn. (nice ryhmin tho.)

as if he'd even be aware of some anonymous muckraker with no substance only provocation.

Mar 22, 07 7:35 am  · 
 · 
uzshef

Maybe Steven.

Mar 22, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
uzshef

cpnorris. where's my apology

Mar 22, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore

uzshef, where's my email ?

Mar 23, 07 4:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: