Archinect
anchor

how to make a choice?architecture or civil engineering?

qpinkyp

i heard that architecture is the combination of science and art.i do love art and i am good at scence,too.
but a archi student told me architecture is without science.
if i choose architecture,i am not quite confident about my design job(acturally i havent got any idea about how to do architecure design at all )
and will i get far away from the maths,phisics during the college?keep doing reading and learning the design skills?i mean does architecture hignly require the talent?i dont know whether my talent in design is good.maybe it just hasnt been discovered.but i do love architecture,which i think is a little blind idea.as what i got to konw is so little.
however,i really enjoy the sense of achivement that architecture can bring.maybe it is all my imagination.so i wonder do u really get that feeling from ur architecture job?or it is all boring?

dear all,anyone would like to help?i do appreciate any idea.

what should i choose?
i also pay attention to money and job-hunting after graduation and the immigration.
i am an international student from asia.

Mar 14, 07 8:34 am

Civil Engineering is a lifeless, souless profession - it requires little creative thought (usually) and while they would like to convince you it is about the application of mathematics & physics 9 times out of 10 they are usually using pre-calculated references.

Architecture however turns dreams into reality. Whilst it is alot of hard work it brings a great feeling of satisfaction. Even though we bitch alot about it on archinect, most of us could not live our lives doing anything else. Its not just about creating pretty pictures (even though we do that too), its not just about drawing plans (but we do that too), it is however about being able to engage the soul of a city with just one stroke of the pen.

My view at the moment is glib, I just woke up - but I really enjoy my profession.

Mar 14, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

if you want to make a decent salary... go with engineering.

if you want a terrible salary but truly want to design buildings, go architecture.

if you want a great salary and want to design buildings, become an architect/developer

Mar 14, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

There is always architectural engineering.

I'm not going to say that architects make terrible salaries, but it is definitely not a profession that you go into FOR guaranteed great salaries.

Mar 14, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
n_

have you checked urban planning/design?

Mar 14, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

You can always do both. There are a handful of architects that are also engineers.

Then again, there are engineers that do very innovative and creative work (i.e. Cecil Balmond from Ove Arup). It's just a matter of deciding whether you have a better intuitive sense of structure or of spaces.

By the way, I just kinda assumed you're leaning toward structural engineering.

Mar 14, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

get a ba in engineering not civil but structural then work a while go to grad school in architecture and be a teaching assistant for the structures prof.

Mar 14, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
hotsies

@ architechnophilia: it feels good to belittle other professions and ridicule their expertise while believing your in a superior position doesn't it? you sound like an asshole.

Mar 14, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
filo

structural engineers are civil engineer specialized in structures

Mar 14, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

oh, architechnophilia wasn't joking?

Mar 14, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Dolo

i agree with vado retro....if you want to do both, get your STRUCTURAL engineering degree in undergrad, but commit to the idea of going through three years of architecture grad school to get your masters.

if you appreciate architecture, you DO NOT want to be a civil engineer. go structural all the way...try to intern at Arup while in, or after, school.

then make absolutely certain that you go to a GOOD grad school for architecture. it's amazing what you can learn in three years. good luck!

Mar 14, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
yalo

vado's suggestion is a good one, but you can also do things the other way around; first architecture, then engineering.

you can get a professional degree in architecture as an undergrad, then enroll in a 2 year post-professional program in design technology or building technology. that's what i did.

this approach will allow you to explore your passion for architecture now. you may not want to wait 4 years to find out if you really like architecture. this will also put you in a position to bring an architectural sensibility to technology and engineering.

don't fight the indecision, embrace it. the field is sorely in need of people like you.

Mar 14, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i used to work as an architect in a civil firm.

the two are completely different. civil engineers are generally concerned with problem solving, relative to infrastructure. i don't think it really includes a lot of science; in fact the application of science, structures, etc. in civil seems to be similar to architecture. they learn it in school as a foundation. but generally established methods (and software) are used as design aids. also, the mostly didn't like us. they didn't feel like architecture was a job; it was too much fun for them. if your interest is in science, then there are other more relavent facets of engineering to persue, such as electrical or mechanical engineering, maybe structural if you work for arup.

architecture is more art than science. however, it does depend on what facet of architecture you are interested in. you can combine architecture with science if you are really into solar design, or even statistics. but solar architecture seems to me to be the most scientific aspect of the field. that is what i enjoy about it.

Mar 14, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go into engineering. Be a good engineer who has a passion for architecture. 9 out of 10 times the engineers that architects end up working with do not have a passion for architecture and tend to f'up the architects' dreams

Mar 14, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

compensation:

Architects

Civil Engineers

Mar 14, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

yea I was joking

some of my best friends are civil engineers. Its a running gag...sorry

and btw...

arent most architects assholes?

Mar 14, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

no, but all architects have opinions and they all stink

Mar 14, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
qpinkyp

thank u all for the replies where i got the imformation as following:

engineering is good for money,job-hunting..

since i love architecture,i'd better get both major .BArch(5y)+architecture techonolegy / constructual engineering+3y March

(is that constructural engineering only?what about civil?there are many schools only contain civil engineering.and how about architecture engineering for undergraduate?what are the differences in those three ?)(i preffer the latter as the former may not flexible for me to enter the engineering field,is it?it just helps u with ur architecuture design and understand the engineer better,is it?)

civil engineering maybe quite a boring job and most of u love ur architecture profession (i think)

so what is the role of constructural engineer?the one make the architects' dream come true?i like this idea really.i think it is a process of discovery & creative thinking and it sounds like a great job.

but i have one more question:is the constructual job not for girls?or have discrimination in women?or women are not suitable for this profession?

thanks!

Mar 14, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

engineers can look everything up in books

Mar 15, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
garpike

If you do Civil, would you specialize in Structural for you degree? Or construction management? I have never heard the word "constructural".

Anyway, many people here equate the "civil engineer" with whom they consult and civil engineering - and I know from your posts you don't want to be a "civil engineer". Don't let anyone dissuade you without a full understanding of civil.

BTW, before switching to architecture, I studied civil for 2 years to be structural (imagine that, architects!). And before that I studied mechanical which in no way was the "mechanical engineer" you all consult with. Not a lick of HVAC.

basically, qpinkyp, it's best to find out what engineering is from engineers.

Mar 15, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i'm an asshole, and admiting it is the first step towards a recovery i have no impetus to head towards

I've been considering this choice myself, i'm stuck in a 5 year prof. degree program, but i think instead of going to grad school for arch i would like to go for structural engineering. I think the two professions compliment each other extremely well.

Mar 15, 07 1:18 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ape, why are you an a-hole?

Mar 15, 07 3:10 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

trust me mate, i just am, either that or a dick.

Mar 15, 07 8:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh and i would add this. after you begin workin in the real world take painting, sculpture, classes to balance out your "education" plus you can me cute chicks in the process.

Mar 15, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

vado, thats a lie ( the cute chicks meeting thing )

Mar 15, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Macpod

Civil engineering is lifeless? Have you heard of Cecil Balmond?

Mar 16, 07 7:08 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Nope, vado's right. It worked for me!

Common side effect may include multiple dates with someone you stared at all semester but turned out you had nothing in common. Many patients report feeling foolish.

Mar 16, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
qpinkyp

i have one more question:
"Cecil lectures and teaches at architectural schools all over the world. He is the Crét professor in practice at the Architectural School of the University of Pennsylvania. He is also an external examiner at the Architectural Association in London, and Senior Design Fellow at the London School of Economics. " ---from arup website.

why not engineering department?why not teach civil?

Mar 16, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
horokeu

i'm enrolled in a dual program of b.s. civil engineering + b.a. architecture and let me tell you that you don't want to do CIVIL engineering. if anything go all into STRUCTURAL. the only bad thing about engineering is that almost everything has been standardized and put into huge volumes of books that have tables full of numbers and values for you to plug into formulas. it can be quite mundane and boring (trust me).

true, arup has great opportunities but that's really only one good example. most of the structural places you might work at will still be quite mundane and do very simple structural systems for simple housing structures. arup has the great history for providing structural solutions for great designs and so they have been consistently looked to for structural support for new designs.

if you are like me, go architecture or construction. it has so much more to provide for you if you have a mind that constantly seeks an adventure or a good problem to solve. the pay sucks but money can't provide happiness

Mar 18, 07 8:56 am  · 
1  · 
dia

"Civil engineering is lifeless? Have you heard of Cecil Balmond?"

Yes, a prominent structural engineer and deputy chair of Arup. Have you heard of Terry Hill?

Mar 18, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Macpod name another living structural that evokes any "life" into engineering particularly civil engineering (he's a struc btw)

Philarch are you an engineer? Architects' opinions don't stink...its just a familar fragrance...bull shit!

Mar 19, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Actually, I was referring to the saying "opinions are like assholes; everybody has one and they all stink." Kind of a crude play of words really and not specifically aimed at architects... It was a joke... Apparently not a good one since I have to explain it...

Interestingly, I am on track to becoming an architect but currently working in an engineering firm after switching from an architecture firm.

I don't really see it as life vs. lifeless in terms of architecture vs. engineering. More along the lines of unquantifiable vs. quantifiable. For engineers anything that is not quantifiable is useless. It is simply a different way to approach a subject or problem. Although solving problems with only quantifiable measures can be limiting, it also allows for reproducible processes that can be built upon and/or refined. Hence the standards and such, although it also allows for clear synthesis of new ideas based on precedent.

For architects, we see the built environment as a whole - a combination of the practical and unquantifiable. Ideally, this unquantifiable factor that we deal with should benefit society, culture or the individual in some way, but depressingly sometimes (most?) it really is the "cool" factor.

So I guess what I'm saying is, qpinkyp, if you value the built environment as more than a building and want to be involved in that process go into architecture. If you want a guaranteed decent salary and enjoy solving clearly defined problems go into engineering.

Mar 19, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
bullicer

hey mr.

architecture is just about everything that you can have. You still have physics in architecture though, although engineering has chemistry and other science stuff, its still the architect that handles the job well. an architect can actually do the job f an engineer (correct me guys if im wrong) but that's what i think.

better be an architect than an engineer.

to give you a trivia, here in the philippines, i just heard about this though, engineers wants to have the title ARCHITECT before their name! whatever happened to the ENGR.? I totally disagree about this.

anyway, in more ways, architecture is more enjoyable than engineering. In our school, alot of engineering outgoing freshmen are shifting to architecture since they say that engineering is boring.

just remeber that architecture is not purely art if that's what you think it is, no. architecture is holistic and it will enhance your talents and logical thinking more than you'll ever expect.

wishing you peace of mind! i didn't really wanna bother, i just had the similar confusion before i took up architecture as a course. and based on experience, i don't have regrets up to now. good luck!

Mar 20, 07 7:13 am  · 
 · 
michellerulloda

Hi guys, I just want to ask a question. 

I'm stuck between Architecture or Civil Engineering. My passion is to design and build structure like houses, buildings, brigdes etc. But the problem is some people said that it is hard to find a job in Architecture than CE. Then I also want to be an CE so that my passion can be an asset and can help on projects but I hate scicence, and about in math is I'm slightly good on that. So what should I choose? I need to be practical also. 

Apr 10, 19 2:59 am  · 
 · 
michellerulloda

Science rather 

Apr 10, 19 3:01 am  · 
 · 
geotechnicsupport

Good work and excellent

Apr 12, 20 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

landscape architecture is kind of a hybrid of architecture and civil engineering. In many ways, from my experience, having a fruitful career as an LA is more challenging than in either of the aforementioned. LA is a broad field, often misunderstood and under valued. However a good LA can be valuable in helping reconcile the tension between the site and building, public, and private realms. Its a very rewarding career when you find clients and teams who value your perspective and expertise.

Apr 12, 20 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: