Archinect
anchor

LA Architect Magazine dead.......FORM Mag: to be it's replacement??

So as I read the editorial by Jennifer Caterino, I must share that I found it a bit sad to hear that the magazine is essentially gone, never to be published again in the future, yet there is this enthusiastic quib about the latest and newest yet to be published venture that is called FORM.

Is it a replacement for the LA Architect? I don't know, but until I see the new spead, I must hold my opinion.

Does anyone else know or have heard of this "new" mag??

Mar 13, 07 5:06 pm
tlmII

didn't read the editorial but there was a blurb in the first issue of the California edition of The Architect's Newspaper than cam out late-Feb. From Arch Paper:

"AIA-underwritten LA Architect will be relaunching as a national magazine. the new pumped-up bimonthly is rumored to be called Form and will retain the same editor, Jennifer Caterino. Balcony Media will continue to publish the magazine, with the first issue expected in June 2007. AIA-LA members will still receive the magazine for free, but the chapter will publish an online newsletter about its events and news. It all seems so impeccably timed with the growth of another regional architecture publication, but we can't quite put our finger on it . . . "

I love the last line - I'll actually miss LA Arch and really enjoyed a lot of the attention it devoted last year to local planning and zoning issues - i have hopes that something else will pick up in its place and address these issues on a local scale.

Mar 14, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

jaysus, can an arch magazine's name get any more stereotypically generic than "FORM"?

Mar 14, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

my thoughts exactly tlmII regarding their attention to regional issues, as well as highlighting up and coming firms and to show what they are doing; some quite good work too.

as for the name, well I think they wanted to be more accessible to outside LA markets, and hence the change in name; but as for the typical aspect of it....well maybe all other possibilities were taken, I dunno!

Mar 14, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

Squirrelly, et al -

The LA Forum has, on various occassions, tried to launch a critical newsletter or journal focused on Los Angeles. (Most recently between 2001-2004 with the online "Issues" culiminating in 2004 with the printed "Annual") Regrettably, because the Forum is an all volunteer organization, these efforts have been hard to sustain. That said, with LA Architect checking out of the local scene, there is a good opportunity to revive a local publication of some variety via the Forum. Volunteers needed!

Mar 17, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
siggy

...isn't there 'Delirious LA" or is that just the calendar listing? havn't gotten that email in a bit.

i like "Delirious LA" as a name!!!

Mar 19, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

wow great info Alan, I did not know.
but then again, who's heading up that organization (for the publication)??

Mar 19, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

Siggy, "Delirious LA" is the online depository of my research and work. A component of it is/was the weekly calendar that ultimately was absorbed by the LA Forum. It dissappeared for a year, but is now back online at www.laforum.org/news/calendar (It needs additionally contributors editors - I'm still doing all the work!) The current Forum folks are not very rigorous about sending out the weekly email (I'm not doing it anymore), so that's why you haven't received an email in some time. Email me for instructions how to add events.

Squirrelly, Michael Pinto is the current Forum president. Email me off web and I can connect you with him.

Mar 19, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

will do alan; I may be getting involved with AFH (meeting in a couple of weeks) so I don't wanna spread myself thin, or commit and have to reneg. So I shall give you a shout in a few weeks.

Mar 19, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: