Archinect
anchor

Lighting Plan

beefeaters

Does anyone know the standard symbol used in plan for a lighting fixture embedded / recessed into a wall? 

May 6, 11 12:16 pm
Rusty!

May 6, 11 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

rusty you're an asshole.

I mean anus.

Said affectionally, of course! ;-)

beefeaters, I always use a rectangle, long sides parallel to wall surface,  drawn 2/3 into the wall.

May 6, 11 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Thanks Donna! I don't have much experience doing lighting plans, so I appreciate the help. 

May 6, 11 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Don't underestimate how long a lighting plan can take!  They are deceptively simple drawings - they always seem to take 3x as long as I think they will, and they are critically important in coordination.

May 6, 11 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Donna's advice seems good, except for the part where the contractor will confuse rectangular symbol for wall mounted emergency flood light. 

I'd go with the anus symbol myself.

May 6, 11 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

The anus symbol would certainly be safer.

Or you can put an E on anything related to emergency lighting - which will sometimes be specific fixtures like wall mounted floods, and sometimes regular fixtures wired into the emergency system.

rusty you've just been waiting for a chance to use that pic, huh?

May 6, 11 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

It's the only reason I signed up for this site.

Now my work is done here.

But back to the original question: 'wall scone symbol' would work just as well (depending on the nature of your fixture). See a full list of symbols here.

May 6, 11 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

But see, I don't think the sconce figure would work since a sconce is technically wall-mounted not recessed.

And this is the kind of conversation I love to have on a Friday night <sigh>.

May 6, 11 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I agree Donna. We need to see some fixture cuts for this party to go up to 11!

May 6, 11 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

I did a few summers as a lighting designer in an AE firm- I may be able to throw in my two cents.

If you have a cut sheet of the fixture in question I'd be happy to chime in.
May 7, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Aw, man! I missed Friday night lighting fun?? I really want to learn more about commercial lighting design. It seems like there are study/accreditations available for residential lighting design but not commercial (unless you have a degree in electrical engineering or similar). Not sure where to start, but I sure need to know more to coerce a good design out of our lighting consultants...

May 9, 11 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: