Archinect
anchor

Baudrillard's contribution to architecture

citadel

Jean Baudrillard died (1929-2007). Architecture was a constant throughout his works, he collaborated with with Jean Nouvel, he theorized objects in ways that may be discerned as architectural. What do people know about his theoretical work on architecture? Is it important? Have you ever used his thought in your own work as an architect? Can we say that this philosopher contributed to architecture?

Mar 8, 07 6:30 am

i don't have anything particularly salient to say, but i did think this post from adam rogers might help the discussion:

http://www.planetizen.com/node/23166

...and, yes, i was in undergrad in the 80s and, yes, i did reference baudrillard in my thesis.

Mar 8, 07 7:59 am  · 
 · 
antipod

I only graduated 4 years ago and I quoted him. From what I have read of his stuff his writing is becoming more relevant if anything...he obviously saw it all coming.

Mar 8, 07 8:17 am  · 
 · 
antipod

...or at least imagined he saw it. Something like that.

Mar 8, 07 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I only just noticed the close parallels between baudrillard's hyperreality and bachelard's imaginative inhabitation.

Mar 8, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Baudrillard coined (i think, or at least to an extent as it is understood nowadays) the term 'simulacrum' - the negation of both original and copy, the celebration of the false power and the power of the false...

he saw it all coming alright...

and yes I have acknowledged him in my thesis.

Mar 9, 07 5:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: