Archinect
anchor

Struggle between Architect and Industrial design

rdmcolrz

Hi guys, I'm a Industrial design major student just graduated from school. Of all fields of design I became more and more found of architecture. But I don't know if I really want to spend five more years to study in college in order to get a chance to get a architect license in Taiwan. (Where I live)  Of course if I have a chance to go abroad I might take it.

What differs Architect from Industrial Design?   Probably is the question I want to ask. 

Thanks for replying!!!! It would really help me make up my decision. 

Jul 16, 12 9:41 am
zonker

I studied industrial design then switched to architecture

In industrial design, you design everything - cars, computer casings like, ipads soap containers, graphic design - I think ID is more dynamic than architecture more tied directly into culture via consumer products - architecture is more structured - check out Ideo or frog

Jul 16, 12 11:53 am  · 
 · 
unamandlamjo

I only got accepted into Industrial Design. But i have always wanted to do Architecture. Could you perhaps give me a bit of insight on when you switched to Architecture and how was that possible?

Jan 20, 18 6:11 am  · 
 · 
rationalist

Another thing that's not often talked about is that in ID the project timeline is much faster. You'll have some projects you spend 6 months on, but more that you spend 2 months on. If you're a little impatient, more comfortable with a quicker pace, that could be good for you. Xanakis's point about the consumerist nature of ID is an important thing to consider as well; if you're a more academically-minded, cultural/artistic, or philanthropically-minded individual, it can be easier to satisfy those impulses in architecture. In ID, most people get trapped doing stuff that may not even be necessary to create in the world, except for the purposes of profit. Architecture has a deeper theoretical base but is also more open about practical concerns (constructability, walkability, etc.) whereas in ID there is a lot more room to do things just because you think they look cool. That's not meant to disparage it at all, it's just a different mindset.

Jul 16, 12 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

unless you really want to get licensed, I think that you can succeed in the architecture world with an industrial design degree. Both are fields that involve a great deal of problem solving, and having the knowledge of materials and methods that an ID education will give you can only help you navigate through the design of the built enviroment

Jul 17, 12 12:42 am  · 
 · 
jamesmck

I have a degree in Industrial design but really want to pursue a career in Architecture, how would I start? 

Would I look at starting my own architectural firm and getting someone body with architectural experience to join me? Should I look at getting a job in a firm as a CAD technician or something similar? Do I need to go back to University?

Thanks 

Sep 29, 17 5:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Maybe try asking the Industrial Design online community too.

Sep 29, 17 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: