Archinect
anchor

nw modernism/regionalism

holz.box

so there is a lecture tomorrow night on nw modernism @ the ballard library.
i'm interested in seeing what the speakers are going to present.

starting to really feel that the patkaus + cutlers have been played out. that the whole "nw modern" is stagnant and had hoped between the OMA's library and weiss manfredi's olympic sculpture park, there'd be a surge of projects that challenged nw regionalism.

i'm especially interested in the work of cardew, mcfarlane green as they feel connected to the northwest, without looking like everything else.

thoughts?

Mar 4, 07 6:36 pm
blackcomb1

I agree that Macfarlane Green are a hopeful group to refresh the whole debate. Depands a lot on the kind of projects that they can reel in to give them the chance to explore their ideas. Cardew has been around a long time ( longer than the Patkaus ) and still seems to bring new things to the table. Others who I find worthwhile following;

- Miller Hull
- Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen
- Battersby Howatt
- Acton Ostry
- Marc Boutin ( although he tends to be more academic than most, and the materiality of the work doesn't seem as rich as the others, a key attribute when considering NW moderism, IMO)
- Patkaus

Mar 4, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i was really into miller|hull when i was in school, but i'm not sure if i find their work to be phenomenal. having seen a lot of it lately due to guests wanting to check it out, i will say it is consistent. they know how to put a building togethor. i don't consider their projects very rich, though.

i've been really impressed with tom kundig and his "gizmos" the last few years, but his dad was a swiss architect - pretty sure that's cheating. oska seems to collaborate with artists/craftsman on a plane above others, and i do find a depth to some of their projects that borders on the sublime.

and i completely forgot about battersby howatt. they have some outstanding projects.

Mar 4, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
shogo664

what about george suyama? i find george's work to be simple, clean, and elegant. kundig's work is a little too self absorbed for me, to many gimicks and too much decoration for decoration's sake.

Mar 5, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i like george's recent residential work, but he's done some monstrous projects that paid really well but weren't "suyama" projects. his house is unbelievable and schuchart's house is pretty ridiculous.

also, a few people that worked for him have gone on to start pretty interesting firms in themselves that don't produce work that looks anything like george's.

re: decoration for decoration's sake - are you referring to the cor-ten cabin?

Mar 5, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

wow, what a terrible presentation. 90 minutes i'll never get back.

Mar 5, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: