Archinect
anchor

Craigslist Scams

mdler

Mdler just got scammed with renting his apartment, so he is sharing with all his fellow Archinectors...

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

he doesn't know why he is talking about himself in 3rd person...maybe so he doesn't feel like such an idiot....

also, he still has a room for rent in Pasadena, CA

Mar 2, 07 5:38 pm

That blows! How'd they scam you?

The only problems I've had with craigs list before were with selling items, the person would agree on the price over email, and then show up with $20 (or $10 or $5, it's happened a lot...) less than promised. I said to one, "sorry, nope. I've got three other people who want this at full price, there's no reason for me to settle for being scammed by you." She magically found the extra $20 in her purse.

Mar 2, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

isn't that just a form of haggling?

granted they agree to a price. but i usually email to see the product and make no promises on buying then make an offer for stuff on craigslist.

Mar 2, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Someone from out of the country wanted to rent my apartment (I really didn't think much of it; people are always coming to LA from all over the place)

said that her boss in US would send me a check for the 1st months rent, security deposit and for a shippers fee; she was sending stuff C.O.D.

Luckily, the check has not arrived, and therefore I have not cashed it. Had I, I could have been held responsible for passing a bad check.

Either way, I am out a months rent, which sucks

JUST BE CAREFUL

Mar 2, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

ACfA- In every case, they had arranged to pick up the item for an agreed upon price, not just to come see the item. Then, I agree, it would be more understandable.

Mar 2, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

f**k that sucks mdler, sorry to hear mate.
Well gimme the specs on your pad, I have a friend in pasadena (works for a local firm that was looking for a pad).

I will then pass on the info.

Mar 2, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Dude that sucks. Sorry. We are trying to get ours rented through Craigslist right now too. I thought we had a girl but magically she has not been seen for a few days....

Mar 2, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

WonderK

be very careful...read the scam thing if you havent already

Mar 2, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

funny thing is that everyone gets scammed by these strange girls. Maybe we trust women not to do such things...anyways.
A friend was renting this room that this guy had sub-let and very naively gave him half the deposit (about $400) and the first month's rent (about $700). after about 2 weeks my friend gets home and this guy has disappeared..lock, stock and barell. The next day the manager comes in from out-of-town looking for this guy, since the rent check is not in.
Granted my friend was being a bit too trusting in a place like LA, but this sucked.....

Mar 2, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Sorry to hear mdler, but this isn't really news. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been left handcuffed naked to a radiator and robbed by a lady I met in the 'rants and raves' section of CL...

Maybe someday I'll learn...

Mar 2, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Sorry to hear mdler, but this isn't really news. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been left handcuffed naked to a radiator and robbed by a lady I met in the 'rants and raves' section of CL...

Maybe someday I'll learn...

Mar 2, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I think Archinect needs a 'casual encounters' section

Mar 4, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Don't we already have a MySpace group?

Mar 4, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I've had REALLY good luck with my roommates from Craigslist (I've lived with 3 different people and they were all clean, pleasant, respectful, and paid bills on time).

I've figured out how to write a detailed and "strict," yet not scary/freaky/anal/OCD ad! Something that has worked very well for me is to overstate the cost of my rent by about $250/month, and to say that they would need to pass my building's credit check/guarantor check and have a minimum income of $XX,000/year. When people responded to me, I'd read their responses to see if their personalities seem OK - that weeded out about 3/4 of the responders right there. Then, with the ones I thought I might like, I'd email them back and say: SURPRISE, you seem cool, and yaaaay the rent's actually $250/month cheaper than I advertised it, but I just wanted to weed out all the people who would be scraping by to pay $X,000/month. Anyone I would want to live with TOTALLY understands why I would do that.

I also make sure to say that I'm clean but not anal (mail and shoes laying around = ok, old food/garbage/smelly things = not ok), that I'm quiet, articulate my rather un-liberal policy on in-apartment substance use, and that I prefer someone who's on an opposite schedule to myself. Obviously you need to say what you personally want in a roommate and everyone is different, but I've found that being detailed yet honest works really well. You just have to make sure not to be one of those freaks who writes their entire personal business in their roommate ad!

Mar 4, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

PS I'm in NYC so obviously it's about as high-risk for scammers as LA.

Mar 4, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I get those all the time, I reply to the email and say it sounds great (you usually can tell right off the bat by their AWFUL English). Nonetheless, I tell them to ship the money order along with a letter requesting specifics to my secretary's address. The address of course is the local police department's.

Mar 5, 07 12:11 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

oh, and WonderK and I are always careful. If a person can't see the place, then we run a backround check on their info, and wait for the personal check to clear (did that with the first subleter). Of course its always for no more than the deposit. None of this over writing of the check and sending the remainder back to them. And as always, no int'l people.

Mar 5, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
binary

i sent a few bricks to nigeria NG...do i get any extra credit here?

b

Mar 5, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 
Katze

sorry to hear that mdler....:(

Mar 5, 07 1:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: