Archinect
anchor

Please help identify this NYC church

SuperHeavy

This is for a project in my lighting class, here's the information we were given, does anyone know what/where this is?

"In 1922 Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue was commissioned to design this small stone church for a beautiful bedroom community for the metropolitan area of NYC. The church was constructed in a traditional Gothic form with modern adaptations consistent with Goodhue's architectural stylings. Built during the arts and crafts movements, much of the interior represents this era in good fashion"

and an interior photo...

Mar 1, 07 9:02 pm
Living in Gin

I have some friends on another board who are very familiar with NYC churches, especially those of the Episcopal and Roman Catholic flavor (of which this one almost certainly is). Let me get back to you.

Mar 1, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

As expected, my friends on the other board have pulled through for us.

The winner is: Christ Church, Bronxville.

Photos, Parish history

It's a pretty handsome-looking church... Reminds me a lot of St. Mark's Episcopal Church on Locust Street in Philly.

Mar 2, 07 12:24 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

fantastic LiG, thanks, and tell your other friends the same. archinect gives so much and asks so little, kinda makes me all warm inside.

Mar 2, 07 1:45 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No problem...

Any idea where the photo above came from, or when it was taken? Assuming it's a rather old photo and compared to the more recent photos on the parish website, the church seems to be remarkably well-preserved.

By the way, here's the thread on the other board, which deals primarily with liturgical practices (although sometimes the conversations also go into sacred music and architecture). According to one of the members of that board, Christ Church appears to use the "Sarum Use" liturgy, which has its roots at Salisbury Cathedral in England, but is rather uncommon nowadays. Interesting stuff (to me, anyway).

Mar 2, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I've been to Salisbury Catheral.....thinking this church doesn't look anything like it. I also visited some ancient stone circles near Salisbury but for the life of me I can't remember the places name but it was on the Solar Equinox, and the place was loaded with plenty of space age looking people partying down.

Mar 2, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

snooker..read the post

they use a liturgy that had its roots in salisbury cathedral..
LiG said nothing about looks.

Mar 2, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I know larslarson...I just thought they might want something which looked akin to The Salisbury , since they were so intune with the liturgical practices.

Mar 2, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wikipedia: Sarum Rite in the Church of England.

Christ Church doesn't look much like Salisbury Cathedral per se, but it very much looks like an English country parish church where the Sarum Rite would be perfectly at home.

Also, various liturgical practices tend to go in and out of fashion over the years, while church buildings remain relatively static. I didn't take the time to read all of Christ Church's website, but it's possible they may have had somewhat different liturgical traditions when the building was constructed.

For example, S. Clement's Church in Philadelphia has a relatively plain Romanesque building that would indicate a "low church" Protestant liturgical slant, but any visitor to that parish on a Sunday morning would quickly find that their liturgy has more pomp and ceremonial than anything on this side of St. Peter's Basilica.

Mar 2, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i just want to add the following:

a) i think it's super cool that someone here was on another forum wherein expertise was able to correctly identify this church in mere seconds

and

b) LIG, i just read through the posts where you offered up the challenge, and whoa, so cool again that i had this tiny snapshot into the lives of some of the folks at Ecclesiantics. very interesting and thought provoking indeed.

and i thought i only came to the 'nect for tips on hardware and vertical shaft ratings.

psshaw.

it's all about looking around holistically, i guess.

Mar 2, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ecclesiantics is just one of several bulletin boards on the Ship of Fools.

Mar 2, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

my eyes are falling out of my skull from getting sidetracked by the conservapedia link, so I didn't read past the ship of fools 'about us', but it looks like an interesting site. Are you familiar with the magazine Jeez? Seems a similar bent (which, btw, has as art director the guy who used to hold the post for Adbusters)

ok, archinect will be the end of me, i'm going home to sleep

thanks again.

Mar 3, 07 2:55 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No problem. Just out of curiousity, what does the lighting project involve? How was this particular building picked?

Mar 3, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

The info we were given looks the part of a competition brief. I don't think its active, probably just a simple way for my prof to come up with a cohesive project for us. Not sure how he came across it as we are in ohio, but he is in practice, so it may be something his firm made a stab at in the past.
The project itself involves coming up with a new lighting scheme as what they have, while still original, is inadequate (1fc in the nave, so the old people can't read).
Anyway, between studio and thesis research, this will unfortunately get backburnered till 2 days before the project. Not ideal, but that's just grad school.

Mar 3, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: