Archinect
anchor

Midwest salary?

What should someone with 6 years of project management experience, 8 years total work experience, and a masters of architecture make? This is for the Metro-Detroit area.  

Jul 9, 12 8:33 pm
won and done williams

$55-65K depending upon how badly they want you.

Jul 9, 12 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

more if they are an EA firm too I would think.

Jul 9, 12 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

need more info, list your software skills

if it is just CAD 28-35K

Jul 10, 12 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

28K to 65K for a masters grad, 6 yrs of project management experience and 8 yrs of total work experience?   fuck.. this is hella demotivating xD 

My little bro started making 80K straight out of his 3 year university program in computer engineering, at his first job with no work experience whatsoever.

architecture sucks xD

Jul 11, 12 7:10 am  · 
 · 

maybe detroit's different from louisville but $65k is a LOT for 8yrs work experience.

this ain't computers, access... that comparison will only tear you up throughout your career. stop comparing now and give yourself a break. 

Jul 11, 12 7:30 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Dunno about Detroit but in Chicago I'd guess you'd be roughly at $50-$55, depending on how much of that "total" work experience was actually during school, or pre-master's.  But since there are no jobs in Chicago it's a moot point anyway... just thought I'd chime in in case it helped flesh out your knowledge.

Jul 11, 12 11:57 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

55 - 60 sounds about right to me.... 

Jul 11, 12 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
pale shelter

so if we were going to take a few years off that experience, and say;

5 years experience, recently licensed, 4 years Revit experience, project designer and all phases of work experience ... $20-$30M project experience - Midwest  - 20-30 person firm.. what would that pay ? ?? ? ? Are we breaking the $50k mark in places like Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago? Does it really take this long in this profession to break the $50k mark lol (5 years?) 

wish the salary poll came back to this site - don't think it will

Jul 16, 12 12:52 am  · 
 · 
w. architect

And here I was thinking that mostly all architects were rich, famous and successful. Look at Mies, Corbu, Wright, they were all famous!

What happened?  I studied hard, and I have lots of talent, but I can only earn a slightly 55k per year, and being licensed too!

I want to me like Romney, Obama and the titans of industry!  What happened? lol

Weren't most of my teachers in the 1%, I know all those historic buildings I have studied are expensive!

Jul 16, 12 11:43 am  · 
 · 

I thought Wright went bankrupt twice and almost lost his house several times.

So I figured CAD gets you 28-35 K add 1K per software program 500 per language, 2k if you are good looking, and 500 if you went to a top school. Note every school will say they are a top school so find a third party comparison.

Subtract 1.5 k each year you were not working in an office but add 500 each year you taught some architecture course, if you worked in construction add 500 per year.

That is my guess but I really don't make salary decisions since I am not fully employed, just what I heard from folk who are working.

Peter N

Jul 16, 12 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

8 years net you circa 80k in nyc.

Jul 16, 12 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

pale shelter IMO you'd be at or above $50k in Chicago, but it's hard to tell - market is so wonky at the moment (where it exists at all).  My guess is $50-$55k likely.  

My quote to the OP was similar because "8 years exp" did not give adequate specifics re: quantity/quality experience.  Your request was better worded... 

Jul 17, 12 2:30 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

WOW almost a ten year veteran and can only expext that..but hey better than nothing and you get to do what you love.

I HOPE TO GOD, THAT RUNNING AN ARCHITECTURE FIRM WILL WEILD MORE THAN THAT!! I'm hoping for 6 figures with that experience running an office(i dream big).

Jul 17, 12 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I work in Detroit... you wouldn't get a problem getting 55k+ at your level

Jul 19, 12 12:06 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

50k in Chicago has got to be tough though... Don't know how people do it.

55k in Detroit will get you a long ways. Cost of living here is nothing compared to Chi town!

Jul 19, 12 12:07 am  · 
 · 
KevinKirkDetroit

Wow, thank you all for your comments.  You can find really cheap housing here in Detroit and it's a great town with a very strong sense of community.  This question was actually regarding a friend of mine.  For reference they currently make far less than the 55k suggested.  However the position they currently have was acquired while this person was an undergraduate student with very little experience.  Sometimes it seems the growth and experience is not recognized from within the firm, which is why I suggest moving around a bit as a way of giving yourself a raise.  

Sep 8, 12 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: