Archinect
anchor

Anyone here educated at Philadelphia University (College of Textiles and Science)?

Sarah Hamilton

Just curious if any Archinectors went to Philadelphia University, or are affiliated with it. Does anyone know how the student center turned out, if it really is as bad as it seemed to be during construction?

Just curious.

Feb 26, 07 5:40 pm
quixotica

I went to Philly U. Graduated before it was completed, but I've seen the results. I loved the buildings exterior, but the Interior had some of the worst lighting I've ever seen. like literally hundreds of bare lightbulbs hanging from wires on the ceiling. Overall though, I think it was a great addition to the campus allthough it completly eliminated parking for the kids who needed it most.

Feb 26, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

When did you graduate? I graduated in 2006.

Feb 26, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

'05. we Probably know each other, allthough I know a lot of people named Sarah from that school. Arch or interiors?

Feb 26, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
parkerd

How do the two of you feel about the education there? Do the pros outweigh the cons?

Feb 26, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

As an arch. student, I was very happy with my education there. However I also tried to take as many non Arch. classes as possible. Minoring in Interiors and Graphic Design. I've heard from a lot of Interiors students who weren't too happy with the program even though it's supposed to be one of the best. I think there is a lot you need to do there on your own, it isn't set up as well for those who lack serious self motivation but in reality, that's just preparing you for the real world. Yeah i think the pros definatly outweigh the cons. But until they let alumnis use the brand new facilities that our tuition paid for, don't expect me to be contributing any money to the cause.

Feb 26, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
parkerd

Thanks for the feedback. Other than Penn. Philly U. seems to be the only school in Philadelphia generating postive feedback.

Feb 26, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I was architecture. My name was Krisch, and I had frizzy/curly blonde hair.

As far as the education....

I have discovered that my education was worth every penny I am still paying. There was a lot more reading than the state schools here in texas require. I feel like my education was much more rounded, and I have reasons for what and why I create.

There are some things that students there will complain about, but the professors are good, and you will really learn a lot more than you realize.

Feb 26, 07 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

While at Penn, my studio visited the textile lab- very cool work and much, much, better then expected from some college with only a local reputation. Also lots of people I knew professionally, taught in the arch program.

Feb 26, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Parkerd if your looking for an arch or interiors school to attend in Philadelphia, i definatly reccomend Philly U. In my opinion you get an education on par with more well known schools with much smaller class sizes, plus it's reputation is really on the rise.

Feb 27, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
jsml

currently attending.. well via rome study abroad.. you guys really think it is that good?

Feb 28, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You won't realize it till you get out. After that, you can compare it to the educations of those working around you, and uh...yeah, we're definately smarter. You know how they cram that whole "reason for doing something" down your throat? ITs good stuff that the people I work with didn't get from Texas tech, A&M, or UT.

Oh, and are you in Terry Kirk's class? He was nuts, but really awesome. We called him the captain. And there is a pasta shop on Quatro Venti that has awesome food, that of course you have to cook yourself. Tell them Sarah sent you.

Who is teaching studio there right now?

Feb 28, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Never did the study abroad but yeah I agree with Sarah, The program definatly prepared me for real life better than a lot of my co workers

Feb 28, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
jsml

this is good to know.. some times while still trudging through it all one must wonder where the school rates since it falls short of nearly all arch school evaluation lists. if i may ask where/ and what are you currently working on in the field?

Feb 28, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Interesting... I never heard much about Philadelphia University while living in Philly (most of my co-workers at the time were Drexel or Temple grads), but I lived right next door to the Philadelphia University campus for the better part of a year.

For anybody considering the program, it's in a beautiful part of town -- one of those places where you'd never guess you're still within the Philly city limits. Blythewood Apartment wasn't a half-bad place to live, either.

Feb 28, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
jsml

sarah- sorry i skipped answering your post...

glad to see you appreciated the knowledge after you got out.. what type of firm are you working in, in texas?

yea i have terry kirk... quite a crazy but intelligent guy! he must drink 10 cappuccinos every morning before class that he arrives at on site.. precisely on the dot of 9 am.

anyway i have been to the pasta shop.. amazing stuff..

piga is teaching the design studio at aur right now..

i am trying to remember if i know you or not.

Feb 28, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Probably not. You would've been in third year, and I only new a couple of thrid year faces. And I wasnt in studio much in the spring cause I was in Design Build, and teaching design I.

I am working for a firm in Dallas doing Funeral HOme, Cemetary, and Mausileum design. ITs quirky stuff, and the clients are interesting to say the least, but its definatley NOT high design. God I wish I could spell/type better.

The people I work with went to Texas tech, where they have a 5yr masters program. Which is EVIL since I went to school for the same amount of time and I just have the B.Arch Prof. Degree. Stupid Texas Tech. But Hes not real bright. He doesn't undestand things like "Place" and "Purpose" in desing. And can't even begin to fathom the idea of regionalism. But, I digress.

Our education is/was awesome, but when you're up pulling all nighters in the A&D building, fighting people for computers, it won't seem like it. Guess I just assumed that everybody was doing the same thing. Turns out no. They don't read or write anyting at the state schools here in Texas. Don't know about Rice though.

Oh, and a tip... The "Captain" HATES it when you talk in between/on your way to a different site about ANYTHING that isn't architecture. He's nuts.

Where are you living? I studied in the Fall of 05, but I was in Rome in July, wonder if anything has changed.

Mar 1, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Gin - Temple and Drexel definatly take all the credit, which is ridiculous because I've heard nothing ut bad things about Temple's Arch. Program and Drexel (at the time, don't know about now) wasn't even accredited!

Jlaucks - I work here in Philly at an arch. firm that does a lot of university, laboratory and religious buildings. It's actually a lot more interesting then it sounds. Recently my firm has been on a bit of a hiring binge and it's been a guilty pleasure of mine to watch all these graduates of Drexel, Upenn and Temple come in here and not get the job when they offered me a job on the spot. I am definatly not saying that that makes Philly U better than those other schools but it's a nice feeling none the less.

Allthough I could definatly forsee a problem of what little rep Philly U has completly dissapearing once you leave the area. No one outside Philadelphia has ever even heard of the school.

Mar 1, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

But that was an advantage for me. I got an interview precisely becuase I didnt go to an instate school and had a diferent perspective.

Mar 1, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

parkerd and quixotica -

So what kind of negative feedback from whom did you receive about Temple and Drexel? And at what point was Drexel unaccredited?

From my understanding all 3 B Arch programs in Philly are respectable and have different approaches. Even then this is subjective and is more importantly about the drive and personality of the student. I'm so tired of reading about people comparing schools on here, although I'm probably at fault for even looking at this thread.

Mar 2, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

I'd be interested to hear more about the negative feedback from Temple & Drexel as well. I graduated Temple in 05 and certainly have offered my share of criticism on these threads, but I would like to know what the consensus is, at least from a Philly U perspective.

I will agree with you that Temple grads are maybe not as hireable right off the bat, but that's not to focus of the program: there isn't a co-op and that's not what they consider the process to be about. So let's have it. Thanks!

Mar 2, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I don't know much about Temple. I heard it was in a bad part of town, but as for their Arch. program, I don't have a clue.

We did have a few poeple from Drexel switch over to Phila. U. We were told that they lost their acreditation, but I don't know when. We were also told that you started working full time in a firm WHILE attending classes. Sounded pretty tough. But thats all I know.

As a side note, I didn't start this thread to compare schools. I was just wondering if I knew anyone on here. And how the campus is fairing since the new conctruction is done, and the NAB stuff is happening.

Mar 2, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

Fair enough, Sarah. I didn't mean to antagonize. You're absolutely right about Temple's location...it's not in the best of neighborhoods-- that's for certain. However, the presence of TU's campus and its continual growth is proving to be a boon to North Philly, it's a quick subway ride to center city, and very close to Northern Liberties, which was my favorite part of the city. But that's all beside the point. I have reason to believe that the Philly Architecture schools are fine places to learn in their own right, and it's a fantastic city to study in.

Apologies, I'm a little jumpy today.

Mar 2, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

When i Started applying to arch schools (1999-2000) Drexel was not an accredited program. I'm not sure how quickly or even if that has changed since then, but at the time it was unaccredited. I still applied because i was actually a fan of the co-op program and felt it would bring a real world experience to my education. I have since become friends with some people who have at one time or another attended drexel for the arch program and they seem to think that the co-op was the only part of the program worth going to school for. Class sizes, non-accredidation and intense concentration on the mathmatical side of the program were some of their major criticisms. As far as Temple is concerned, I have not heard as much about their program as drexels, but I do know that Temple just had a class of seniors come to our office a few months ago for a portfolio review and the work exhibited in the portfolios was not up to par with work I've seen coming out of a lot of other schools. I'm not really trying to critisize these programs at all, this really wasn't meant to be a comparison school thread, I was just trying to state that in comparison to what little recognition Philly U receives, it turns out students on par or better than a lot of the more notable schools in the area.

And Sarah, Temple isn't THAT bad of a neighborhood. but I've been living in kensington for the past 2 years so maybe I'm geting jaded

Mar 2, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I was from a small town in Texas, so the whole Big City/Sirens going off, and scary news reports did make it seem bad. But, then again, being from a small town, any sirens and negative news reports on ANY city or part of made it seem SCARY.

My FIRST Philadelphia experience was getting lost on Allegheny and Broad, I think we took it from City Line all the way to City Hall. Which made the city seem even scarier than it was.

I am better now about city's, but I don't think I will ever want to live downtown. Even working in Dallas, I live 30 miles out of downtown, too far to be a suburb, so I can get that small town feel. Its quiet.

Mar 2, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

haha thats funny cause thats exactly what I love about the city, the fact that it's never too quiet and never too dark. Most nights it looks like dusk all night long. Love that ambient light.

Mar 2, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

From my understanding quixotica, Drexel has been accredited since 1979 whereas PhilaU has been accredited since 1997. You can check NAAB.

Recently at the Vitetta competition for architecture students in Philadelphia and I was impressed with all the school's work so let's just leave it at that.

Mar 2, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

amen, phil. solidarity now!

Mar 2, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Are you part of Vitetta? One of the head guys there taught a class I was in. Interesting location for the office.

Mar 2, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Phil you are correct in that I was not completly accurate with my statement. However. the program at drexel that was accredited in 1979 was a seven year night program with no co-op. the full-time 4 + 2 year (4 years of school and 2 years of co-op) program that the people I know attended did not get accredited until the 2000 school year. After I had allready applied to schools.

Mar 5, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there Quix. I believe it is a 2+4 program and has been accredited since 1992 (93?) when the 2+4 was first created. Considering that the 2+4 and the 7 year programs merge for the final four years of both programs I don't see how only one can be accredited. In fact it is technically one program with two different paths - one for working professionals and the other for kids that come straight from HS (2+4). I can't even imagine going to school for 6 years for a non-professional arch degree.

But really, I'm not sure why we're discussing this. In fact I think Philadelphia architecture schools can benefit from interacting more often through AIAS or something.

Mar 5, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Well I think we can both agree on that last part at least.

Mar 5, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Texas Tech has a 5 year Masters program. And I don't mean 5 years ON TOP of your B. Arch degree, I mean they go to school for five years just like everyone else, but get a Masters diploma instead of the professional one we all got.

And they are'nt very smart. Makes me SOOOO MADDDDDD!

Mar 5, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Everything's Bigger in Texas. Including the Degrees.

Mar 6, 07 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

Philarch

"But really, I'm not sure why we're discussing this. In fact I think Philadelphia architecture schools can benefit from interacting more often through AIAS or something."

I totally agree, I'm going to be the president of AIAS here at Philadelphia University next year and I want to encompass all of the AIAS chapters in the area. We tried to do that this year and didn't recieve any responses from anyone but Temple. I think we are trying to hold a career fair with them sometime... I don't know when that's suppose to happen, I'm just the Finacial Advisor right now, I hear things in bits.
-----
Education:
As for Philadelphia University as a school, I love it. Although, I wish they were more selective. It's a pretty easy school to get into so everyone thinks classes are cake. That's not true. Our school probably has the highest drop-out rate in Philadelphia becasue of that. In Design I you really notice who was meant to be a designer and who wasn't. They force you to devote your life to design or fail. If you get anything less than a C you have to retake the course. Architects here really have a sense of pride about us becasue we know we put a lot of thought and work into what we do. In the same case though, we don't ever believe our designs are finished.

Kanbar Campus Center:
Designing a building at an architecture school is subject to a lot of criticism, good or bad. There was a recent article in the campus periodical, "The Text", that started to skim the surface of what students though of the building. The 5th (4th?) year architecture students did a thourough analysis on it and the article cited some of their observations. If you're interested in reading the article, e-mail me and I'll find it (I'm sure it's somewhere around here).
As for me, I think that some of the concepts the building was designed around were weak. The building was deticated to Maurice Kanbar, a former chemistry student at Philadelphia University, and creator of SKYY vodka. The "Kanbar Campus Center" outside represented in blue glass is composed from the SKYY Vodka bottles themselves.
-Lighting
That aside, lets talk about lighting (previously mentioned). Yeah, the lighting in the building isn't that great. Lights on the 3rd floor hang too low and can be reached by even the shortest of passer-bys. The lights over the living room seemed to be placed at different locations of height and distance seemingly arbitrarily. A plus about the lighting though is that a lot of the rooms on the 3rd floor are motion sensored (to save energy). This might be a bad thing in a library or something where you are staying still for periods of time but these rooms are offices that are frequently used and encompass movement.
-Space
There's a lot of space that goes unused in "Kanbar" as it's become known. There are some rooms on the ground floor that I just discovered the other day. I'm unaware of their function and to tell you the truth, the lighting down there is not very welcoming. For anyone who knows... they used some of the infamous Ronson "circle" lights.
-Function
Everyone I talk to thinks the building is a great place to "hang out". There's a food court on both the 2nd and ground floors. Also on the 2nd floor are two pool tables, and a ping pong table. They really treated us to some nice furniture (except for their most recent addition which I can't even begin to describe). Regardless it starts to connect the whole campus together becasue Henry Ave. divides it pretty well.

Apr 2, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
jsml

ugh.. text overload....

Apr 2, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Did you really mean to say "encompass"?

Apr 2, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

Philarch

yeah I did.

en·com·pass
1.To form a circle or ring around; surround. See Synonyms at surround.
2.To enclose; envelop.
3.To constitute or include: a survey that encompassed a wide range of participants.
4.To accomplish; achieve

Apr 2, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

The beauty of words (and architecture) is the fact that interpretation doesn't always occur in a straightforward manner exactly as intended as though it was read from a dictionary - if that was the case poetry would not be possible. For some reason or other, I find the statement "I want to encompass all aias chapters in the area" to be unsettling. Perhaps "I want to initiate interaction between the aias chapters in the area" or "I want to include the other aias chapters in our activities" would be more suitable? I interpreted "I want to encompass all aias chapters in the area" as very imposing as though they were below you. But thats just my take. You don't have to copy and paste the definition of encompass to prove your point.

Apr 2, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

How'd that spammer get in here?

Temple grad here- I thought Temple was a very good education. Like others have said it really is what you make of it. I know I had good professors. I know we (temple students) had a slight unspoken inferiority complex- in philly, not NYC, and not Penn...once I got out of school and started working I realized I was on par with others.

As for PU- I sat on a few crits for Donald Dunham's classes (2nd year studios) and I was always impressed by the work. There were always a few standout students that really impressed me. I would say from my short experiences, knowing a few people that graduated from there in the later 90's, and comments from some faculty-- its a real up n' comer.

Temple was still a good school, and great for the $$ (psedo-state school)....

Apr 3, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Mark, I'd love to see that article. I hated that building as it was going up. The best day was when the dumpsters caught on fire, and it took 4 trucks to put it out. The smoke stained the concrete on the outside of the building.

Apr 3, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

I heard one of the contractors on the Kanbar center got drunk after he got fired and trashed the "swoop bench" that we had built in design-build

Apr 3, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Is that the black bench (carbon fiber?) with the tension ties?

Apr 3, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

Sarah Hamilton

I'll scan and e-mail it once I find it (or pick up another)
---

Quixotica

I'm not quite sure what the "Swoop bench" is or was. I know that there was a bench that someone built (I think in structures) that ended up breaking, and the car looking thing in front of A&D that was broken when I was visiting the school.

Apr 3, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

what is the reason for doing something? i'd really like to know.

Apr 3, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

No this one was on the side of the building that the Kanbar center is on, by the nook near the red doors. it was basically a laminated woodbench that curved in a quarter arc that my classmates and i spent half a semester on. After I graduated I came by the school and it was gone. I asked what happened and thats what someone told me.

Apr 3, 07 9:29 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

haha the car bench. That thing was ridiculous

Apr 3, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I read and wrote plenty and my state Texas school. Depends on what classes you take and what you're interest is. But I agree TT's program does not justify the 5-yr master's.

Apr 3, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

Philarch

that's the bench I was thinking of. It is broken now =(.
---
Quixotica

I'm not sure of the bench you're talking about, I'm a freshman =X
---
Sarah Hamilton & whoever else

Here's the Article that was in "The Text". Sorry if I messed something up while scanning and editing it.
The Students Vote on Kanbar: Do We Love It or Hate It? by Jillian Arciero

Apr 3, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Mark Anthony

If the link above to too small try this:
The Students Vote on Kanbar: Do We Love It or Hate It? by Jillian Arciero

Apr 3, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I saw that bench at the architecture exhibit in old city a month ago I think

Apr 3, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: