Archinect
anchor

Full time Architectual Degree?

Enigmatic Mind

One last question from the Enigmatic Mind - For you Arch students and graduated students. Did you have to live on campus, is it heavily required.....I know it's a full time degree, so no part time working correct...I see a lot of messages on here about living and breathing architecture.......stressful huh?

Feb 26, 07 3:46 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

is that a rhetorical question?

I don't think you are asking a question that wasn't really already answered by what you wrote and have read on previous posts.

otherwise, what's your point/question? Are you looking to go to an arch school, etc. and hence you want to know if it behooves you to live on campus? or what??

Feb 26, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Enigmatic Mind

Sounds about right....

Feb 26, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

don't bother getting an apartment or dorm room... just keep a futon cushion under your desk in studio... and take showers at the student gym...

Feb 26, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Join the Greeks. You'll be super popular and have a place to sleep.

Feb 26, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i worked on average 12 hours/week all through college + full time on every break and took summer classes, all for 6 years and while earning 2 degrees in addition to volunteering. my work didn't "suffer" per say, but that's b/c i knew what i wanted to get out of each class and learned to prioritize my work, doing some of the projects extremely well and allowing a bit of relaxation on projects that weren't as important towards my focus. i didn't graduate at the top of my class no, but i did come out w/ a fuller understanding of Architecture and not only do i make more $ than most of my peers but also am a project manager before 2 years out of college.

pick your battle, yes, you'll spend a ridiculous amount of time in studio and really go home to shower, occasionally sleep for a couple of hours, and once-in-a-bluemoon, relax but it's good to have that respite. but make it close if you're off campus. it was also nice being away from the dorm scene and actually having quiet when i got home, which peers who lived in sorority houses/fraternity houses/dorms didn't really have b/c they always had other people pulling at them when they got home.

find a place with some people in the program and not only will you feel like you have your own place but you'll also have the ability to set up work stations at home and help each other there too when working in studio becomes overly unproductive (which it sometimes does).

Feb 26, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

there were students that did it both ways. i lived on or near campus. there was someone who cummuted over an hour every day - they were disciplined and got work done before they left, and if need be crashed in studio or on a friend's couch.

Feb 26, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: