Archinect
anchor

US Route 1 and What it Means to You

some person

As I looked out my window today at a very snowy Route 1, I began to wonder how many other Archinectors are also looking at the very same road today. The conditions could be warmer in Florida, or colder in New England.

US">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_1]US Route 1 connects the major cities of the East Coast (or “right coast” of the country): Miami, Jacksonville, Columbia, Raleigh, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, New Haven, Providence, Boston, and Portland. In many areas, it parallels I-95 and provides a more scenic path up and down the eastern seaboard. It takes on various names that are indicative of the region in which it passes.

Since moving to the East Coast five years ago, Route 1 has had a profound presence in my life:

* Our first apartment was adjacent to Route 1. (Also know as Richmond Highway)

* I did my graduate work in Alexandria, Virginia, where Route 1 passes through Old Town. (Also known as Patrick and Henry streets)

* For a few years, I had a client on Route 1 just outside of Philadelphia. (Also known as City Avenue or City Line Avenue)

* Today, our third apartment since moving here, is also next to Route 1, with a view of the Potomac River. (Also known as Jefferson Davis Highway)

Here is what Route 1 in Arlington looks like today, a rare snow day:

]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/150/402366449_68b9cbc385.jpg?v=0[/img]

I’m curious: what does US Route 1 mean to you?

Feb 25, 07 3:03 pm
some person

Wow...I really screwed up those links... (I wish it were possible to preview new threads)

Here is the link for Wiki:

US Route 1

Feb 25, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

Route 1 in New Jersey is a tangled mess of ugly strip malls, traffic, annoying jughandles...

It's become the downtown for the late 20th century form of the city...

It's an example of how the typical suburban / exurban american form of urbanism may work fine at the scale of a typical suburb, but when it is used as the structure of an area that has attained a high density, an almost unlivable chaos emerges.

Feb 25, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

Rt. 1 ran right through my hometown in NJ...

so I had just come home from san diego...I was working in NYC, but I was looking for a place and staying with family while doing so. I had borrowed my brothers car (I sold all of mine in California in anticipation of strap hanging) to pick up some groceries. First, his car ran out of gas as I reached rt. 1, so I had to cross the hwy to get some. Then, while I was coming back from getting the groceries, the car actually caught on fire. Yes, fire. Long story short - the police dept. (now manned by some of my highschool classmates) shut down both directions of rt. 1 for about 30 minutes while I watched my brother's car melt.

there's more to this story, but suffice it to say that I now know the value of my life...the insurance company gave my brother $1300 more for the car than he had spent. I never got the groceries out of the car. so, rt. 1 to me...well, it's still unclear, but honestly it was never highly regarded even before the fire. but it is also the first highway I drove on without a license.

Feb 25, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

Once I rode my bike along Route 1 in New Jersey to get to the grocery. It was a bad idea. That place was designed for nothing other than 2 tons of steel to move a human being.

Despite that though, three miles off of Route 1 was nice rural and quiet suburban country. Great for bike riding, and really beautiful area too.

Feb 25, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I had to look it up, because I wasn't sure if Route 1 during its Philly portion is I-95 or the Schuylkill Expressway. Turns out it's the latter, which is significant for me because when I packed up my Oregon life and moved to the East Coast it was the bend on the Schuylkill when the towers of downtown Philly come into view that was the moment when I realized I was truly in a new and very, very strange place. Even after living there for 10 years I never stopped momentarily catching my breath when I made that turn. I was freakin' terrified.

Also, I love saying Schuylkill.

Feb 25, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

How do you pronounce Schuylkill?

When I lived in New Jersey i would travel to Phila quite a bit but never took Route 1 all the way. I would take it through Trenton (past my the really cool Trenton Railroad Bridge:

[img]http://www.stanglpottery.org/makesbridge.jpg[\img]

)

and then a few miles later get in I-95. Is it more scenic to stay on Route 1 the whole way? Liberty, I guess you were probably talking about coming from the west, so I guess I'm not really asking a relevant question.

Feb 26, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor
Feb 26, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aaaah - I used to see that bridge when I took SEPTA/NJTransit trains into NYC.

Here is a pronunciation of Schuylkill, click on the little audio icon. Basically it's skooo-kill, accent on the first.

And yes, I was coming from the west. Also, when I first moved to Philly I was in a sublet in Northern Liberties that was literally 3 rowhouses - about 45 feet - away from an I-95 overpass. I will never again live close to a freeway.

Feb 26, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

In northeast Philly. Rt. 1 is a series of stop and go lights known as roosevelt boulevard, one of the most heavily trafficed areas of the city and home to two of the State's most dangerous intersections. Where it is known as city line isn't any better, but at least you drive by the NBC and ABC television studios and on good days, the traffic can be backed up right to the point of where the local traffic and weather reporters give their forcast. then you can be that obnoxious guy in the back honking and waving. I worked off of rt. 1 for a good year and traffic is one of the main reasons I took a new job. Honestly though I find myself taking 95 a lot more frequently, once all the way up to Rhode Island and back (in one day) and have many times pondered the same thoughts about that road that DCA has about Rt. 1

Feb 26, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

this is part of my beautiful (well california's at least) route 1:

and:

and:

California's coastline is absolutely beautiful!
(so glad I live here).

Feb 26, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Rt. 1 up by me (North Jersey) is actually Rt 1&9. And it totally sucks. The road resembles the surface of the moon. I know people who have popped tires on potholes here.

The one cool part is when it bridges over the river as the Pulaski Skyway. I love this bridge.

Feb 26, 07 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I got my first speeding ticket on Route 1 outside of Jacksonville, Florida. Age 16. Florida state trooper couldn't believe I was going that fast in a 1985 Chevette.

Mar 2, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Yeah, Route 1 is sometimes hectic and dense but then there are those stretches that are quite rural and quiet. So for me, you just can't find a better road when it comes to disposing a body.

Mar 3, 07 3:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: