Nasher or Kimbell?

Feb 22, 07 4:30 pm
aldous

kimbell.. hands down.

but its not in dallas.

Feb 22, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
aldous

and dallas probably isn't worth more than about 1 thread in a day...

Feb 22, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
ProjectNorth

Kimbell. It's my favorite. See if you can get a tour.

The Nasher is cool too, but Kimbell is what has inspired so many others.

Feb 22, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Um... I would say there are lots of other things to see in Dallas. There is a lot of building going right now, so there is lots to see in terms of Architecture.

The Nascher is really nice, and there is also a Philip Johnson Church that I haven't made it to yet, but it looks really cool on Google earth. Its downtown, with a spiral and really interesting landscape; cuts in the ground and such.

In Fort Wirht (45 minutes away WITH traffic) is the Kimbell and behind it Ando's Museum of Modern Art. Don't try to take Architectural photos while you're there though. The Architect had the WHOLE building has been copy-writed. They yelled at me. Silly Architect.

When will you be in town, I could maybe give you more pointers if I knew when and what you were interested in.

I have a personal obsession with the High Five overpass. Something spiritual about it. It has a website if you're curious.

Feb 22, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Does this thing have a spell check option? I have fat fingers today.

Feb 22, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i'd skip out on kimball and go across the street to see tado ando.

Feb 22, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

Thanks for your help.
Sarah, I appreciate all your info. we will be in dallas one evening and half a day, so there isn't a whole lot of time to bounce around. we have to keep in short and sweet. looks like we'll be going to nasher after all.

Feb 22, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
aldous

oh man, are you kidding.. ando's modern doesn't even come close to the kimbell. The kimbell has this subtle yet powerful presence that I haven't experienced with very many buidings. I've spent hours watching the changing quality of light filtering into the rear portico from the passing clouds overhead. the building has this seemless quality that seems to lend itself to belong to a category of its own.

Feb 22, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
n_

the art in ando's can beat the shit out of the kimball's art collection any day.

Feb 22, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i think we just started a "kimbell vs ando" thread...but before that, yes, i would say that if you only have a little bit of time and you are staying "in dallas", then visit the nasher. maybe take a bit of a look at the meyerson across the street, too.

okay. there is no comparison, and i do mean that literally, between the kimbell and the modern. first off, yes, the museums do have different collections, indeed different origins.

the kimbell started as the personal art collection of kay kimbell, who made his money in milling (not in oil or cows unlike all the rest of fort worth's kazillionaires). it is a diverse collection, to say the least.

whereas the modern has always been owned by the city of fort worth and has the arguable distinction of being texas' oldest museum. its collection is, um, modern.

and i think the collections have in both cases influenced the buildings. in a way, each building is a metaphor for its collection.

the kimbell has been timeless since the day it opened, but could be nowhere else. it seems so right for where and what it is, it's literally inevitable: a response -- maybe THE response -- to the brief for light and a great place to display and look at art.

the modern is firmly of its time, and could be anywhere, like the modern art inside. while i am personally biased -- the modern would be the best building in most american cities, but is only the 3rd or 4th greatest building in fort worth -- the modern is also an incredible building in its own right. but the kimbell owns it in so many ways.

tadao ando may have tried to gently spite kahn's legacy by positioning the loading dock across the street from the kimbell's entrance, but kahn wins...every time.

of course not enough people here are fort worth natives, so this may not be much of a battle. go on talking about new york, people.

Feb 22, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

and if you DO have the time, do skip dallas and drive west to fort worth. but only if you have the time.

Feb 22, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

one more: so if the modern is the 4th greatest building in fort worth, what are the other three?

1 kimbell (also greatest building in the US, perhaps the world, but once again, i grew up on the same bus route as the kimbell)

2 leonard chapel pre-chapel hill shopping center (this is why i said the 3rd or 4th, the leonard chapel has been ruined)

3 t&p terminal on lancaster...this was the absolute largest building in the world for me when i was a kid...it stretched for miles, it seemed, back in the day when you could get on the west freeway (i-30) overhead and drive right past it at like the level of the 4th floor...and it is incredible still, although it looks smaller now that i'm grown up

4 modern

yeah, skip dallas, come over to cowtown -- you will not regret it

Feb 22, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, then try to find that church/chapel I mentioned as well. It isn't far from the Nascher, I know its downtown, just don't know much else about it. Let me know how it is if you find it. One of these days I'll make my pilgramage.

I have seen the Nascher though, and recomend going in the daylight. Some things, specificaly the room at teh back of the garden, make no sense at night.

Feb 23, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 
ochona

it's thanksgiving square
and it is very cool

Feb 23, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: