Archinect
anchor

Work Trip to Seattle and to Dallas

archasm

I am planning a trip to Dallas and Seattle for my team at work.
I would like some suggestions of purely architectural things to see.
Just really nice buildings, landmarks, and landscape architecture. I know there are previous posts about this, but the problem is that some buildings are recommended, and I'm not sure if its because it is architecturally relevant, or its just an interesting people watching site, etc. So please, some architecture only suggestions:)

Feb 22, 07 2:56 pm
juan moment

for Dallas - Most of the gems of the city are residential (holl, predock, meier etc. and a handfull of local talent). I would recommend spending as much time as possible at the kimbell and checking out ando's musuem in fort worth. Come back in a few years and you'll have a koolhaas and a norman foster building to check out in arts plaza.

Feb 22, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

seattle:
olympic sculpture garden (weiss|manfredi)
central library (oma)
capital hill library (cutler-anderson)
st ignatius chapel (holl)
henry art gallery (gwathmey)
city hall (bcj)
ballard library (bcj)
south lake union sales center (denny + westlake - miller|hull)
merrill hall - UW (miller|hull)
1310 union lofts (miller|hull)
pike + virginia building (olson|walker - pike market)
frye art museum (olson sundberg)
peter miller bookstore (olson sundberg)
SAM rental gallery (olson sundberg)
brower's cafe (fremont - bjarko|serra)
william traver gallery (suyama peterson deguchi)

dallas (+ ft worth)
nasher sculpture garden (piano)
kimball (kahn)
modern art museum (ando)

Feb 22, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

also, if you get enough people together (i think its 10 or more) you can tour the rachofsky house

Feb 22, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go to REI in Seattle

Feb 22, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin
A good previous thread on seattle
A good previous thread on dallas/ft. worth

the archinect search at the bottom of the page is a great way to examine travel destinations. It seems like every city has been covered at least once.

Feb 22, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I'm intrigued, are you planning a work trip or a sighseeing trip? My experience with work trips is doing work and only if I'm lucky is that work nearby a famous/interesting piece of architecture. Driving across town in either Seattle or Dallas/Ft. Worth is a task that would take hours. If your employer is cool with you spending time doing that can I please send in a resume?

Feb 23, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 
archasm

sure aquapura, send me a resume, i'll give it to the right people.
i hope you live in la!

Feb 23, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Now it makes sense...LA...more lazze fair attitude about work, and the trips as well. Gotta have time for the beach and Hollywood, etc.

Hope you are getting that sarcasm. Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure about LA right now. Isn't there an Earthquake Premonition going around?

Feb 23, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

Whatever, I have lived here my whole life, and people always get premonitions ans start talking about "earthquake weather." if you throw enough shit on a wall, some of it is bound to stick.

Feb 23, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: