Archinect
anchor

Greetings

exzekiel

Hi guys,

I would like to have say hello to this discussion group and I hope we can have a helpful, mind-enriching discussion about architecture or even anything in general.

Am an Indonesian studying in Singapore for an undergrad course in Architecture & Interior Design. Came across this site while doing my research on minimalism and hopefully, will be my home where I can get ideas, explanation, or even help the others. (If they dont mind a student's perspective on things).

Thats all for now, my next post will be very soon.

Cheers,
-Indra

Feb 22, 07 11:32 am
Philarct

nice to meet you Indra
im phil, a college student majoring in
technical drafting, soon majoring in architecture

Feb 22, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
alfrejas24

Hello Indra

Nice to meet you as well. Glad to hear your also studying interior design. I tend to beleive the interior is the soul of a space and tends to be overlooked quite often both in education and professionally. Anyway welcome to the board.

Feb 22, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So Indra the Indonesian. That's pretty cool. I'm Sarah, the Texan. Guess I could've been a Tara, but I don't feel like a Tara. So here I am with Sarah the Texan.

I graduated last spring, and am now working in "the real world." Hope I can help with anything you might need.

Feb 23, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Welcome. I'm almost licensed, been out of school 5 years. My screen name is the same as my cat's name. The real Strawbeary:

Feb 23, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

ahh now we know straw.....hehe

Welcome Indra
Im Squirrelly......in Los Angeles
half way through licensing, and been working for 7.5 yrs +
enjoy your stay and do add to our discussions (that's what makes them interesting).

Feb 23, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

hi indra-

occasionally I chop down trees so buildings can be built... few years post grad school and most of the way towards getting licensed but taking the arch and 'scape exams... somewhere really cold and expecting 1 foot of snow over the weekened...

(this is fun- we need more 'intro' threads!)

Feb 23, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive. and pleased to welcome you to archinect.

Feb 23, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Hello, my name is Chili and I'm an aquarius.

Feb 23, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

hi indra,
just to let you know that; i am the turkish ex government minister now living in nigeria trying to transfer some big money to a bank account in singapore.
you were supposed to send 40USD check or money order for bandwith dedication fee. i feel in particularly good mood today and waiver yours. unfortunetly i can't afford to do the same for greetings #2.

i hope you also write about minimalism in singapore and in indenosian culture, with some photographic examples and few words.

my turkish cultural background is very minimal. turks were originally nomads and moved around with their horses and herds and collapsable structures called 'yurts' in which they lived, how minimal can you get? a beautifuly simple structure/home/interior space carried on a horse back, waaay before the motor homes which i find also brilliant.
nomadic cultures are great places to look for minimal designs.

another interesting detail in turkish mosque designs before the invention of light bulb was;
they made this approx. 2 sq. ft. draft hole on a strategic location high up. a chimney principle, that usually looked like an arched opening high up on the wall. it collected the soot from the hundreds of burning candles below ever so slowly, during the special night time prayers. the collected soot than would be used to make ink and than this ink would be used in writing holy books, religious texts and calligraphic works.

i find these details very minimal.

Feb 23, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

abra, my 40 is on the way, sorry so late.

oh, welcome, and don't ask about the Cooper Union home test.

Feb 23, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

become a lawyer

Feb 23, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hello indra. welcome and good luck to you. i too like the intro thread. i usually fear opening anything that smacks of 'greetings mightylittle. i am _____ next of kin in charge of $$$$ for you, etc'

but this one was a real personal introduction. well done!

a few small pieces of advice for successfully navigating the archinect landscape.

1: never engage in a conversation about the mid-east with someone named indy_is_crap. it will end in tears.

2: never engage in a conversation about 3d-H. If you don't know, don't ask.

3: beware the garwondler. a fearful entity who haunts the halls of the 'nect with it's beefy yellow junk.

4: buy an architecture sucks t-shirt and help support the interns at archinect central command.

5: ask nicely, and ye shall benefit from many, many voices of massive intellectuality and vast ranges of experience, both personal and professional.

Feb 23, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

ACHTUNG BABY

Feb 23, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

one more thing....

beware of WonderK...she is one bad ass mofo

Feb 23, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

i like that pic of WK

Feb 25, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

moi -

architechnophilia - its a plague more than a title. It just means I love architecture to a point of fetishism...

I am..

an island hopping architect...all lands are islands, registration doesn't make me an architect, I was born this way.

and remember if in doubt kit kim (keep it tropical | keep it modern)

Feb 25, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
bullicer

hi indra.

Im bien from the philippines! its too good you're from asia and I am from asia too.

I study in the University of Santo Tomas, College of Architecture. I'm still a freshman though. But I'm already so into it. I hope I can still help you in a lot of ways, even in my own little ways.

Feb 26, 07 2:30 am  · 
 · 
exzekiel

Wow, so many kind replies hehe. Very welcoming. I really do admire architects who can go through so many years of training, practical or not, just to start work right from the beginning, doing all those running around for the seniors. I worked for 2 years in an archi firm before i started my course, so I know its not an easy life hehe. Not to mention the duration of the projects.

Thats why I went for Interior Architecture Degree - Interior design from both perspective.

Enough of the talking, Im gonna post a picture from time to time, whenever I see a product of an exquisite design, let it be buildings, products, or prints, and see what you guys think of it. Heres the first one. Hanging lamp by Garcia & Ciscar which never went into production. Hows this for minimalism.

Indra

PS: Nice cat straw. thinking of getting one too. Gonna call him Lee

Feb 26, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

that cat plays fetch too.

Feb 26, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 

i'm digging the loop holding it

Feb 26, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: